I've been with my boyfriend for almost two years and he's the love of my life. He's my best friend; however, we both go to colleges that are six hours away, and flying/driving to see each other is very expensive and pretty much out of the question given our busy schedules and bank accounts. Normally we always had breaks to look forward to, but his family just moved away from our hometown, so when we come home for holidays or summer he'll be just as far away.

I'm so frustrated and I don't know what to do. I have this huge emotional hole inside me, and I miss watching movies, kissing, cuddling, going for walks, having sex... and it looks as if these things are going to be in very short supply for the next two years, perhaps a few times a year.

I love him and I would marry him right now if we were older, but what do I do? We have very specific majors, so what if we get jobs on opposite coasts after college?

I'm going to suffer either way: option one is breaking it off and dealing with the loss of him, and option two is staying with him and not getting my emotional needs met with no end in sight.

Thoughts?

So what are your majors that you couldn't work in the same state? I'd start researching what jobs exist for the both of you in states you could both find work, and begin to talk to him to see if it's his plan also, to close the gap between you two once you both finish college.

I know that distance is hard, but military families do it all the time. Two years isn't forever. Only you can decide if he's worth the wait or not. If you say he's the love of your life, how can that be true if you're even contemplating splitting? If you started dating someone else, it will take you at least a year to even find out who that person really is once you get past the honeymoon stage, if it even gets that far. You might regret dumping a perfectly good man and find that the dating pool isn't as full of decent men as you expected. Believe me, I dated for several years after my divorce and had to date a huge boatload of men before I eventually found a good one.

I've been in a similar situation, but on your boyfriend's side of things. My parents moved out to another state after my first year I transferred to a different college. I did marry him, BUT distance took a toll and we took a 1 year break to meet other people.

You have the words written on the wall in your last paragraph... it's not looking good. You can't have a long distance relationship if there is no future of coming together.

Archived