Over eating and stressed

I posted about my father has cancer and is declining. I also recently lost my job because my car broke down. I call friends to talk about anything (just to have a conversation) but they are too busy taking selfies or just laying in bed (an actual excuse "I'm just too comfy in bed with my boo". I call to say hey want to come to the lake or beach with me (which I like to do regularly). Some friends do invite me to things but I think it's inappropriate for how I tell them I feel. Like a big birthday party at a club. So most of the time I'm at my dad's or at the hospital with him. and have been over eatting severely and gained alot of weight. Just feel lost....

That sucks I'm sorry for your father's situation.

You definitely need more support. I'd tell my friends clearly that I need their support in my situation (in case they somehow didn't figure that out...), that you really need a buddy right now. Some of them may step up and realize that they're needed at this time.

Maybe there are also some other people you can talk to... Maybe people lonely at the hospital too. Maybe you could join some support group.

And for more fun things - what if you've found time for yourself to enjoy some activities with a set group of people, at a sport club, art classes etc.

Also, maybe some other family members can support you in taking care of your father? Sit with you, change you more often, support you mentally?

Please ask the hospital to recommend to you some support groups. You really need more help and support than what you are getting, but you have to reach out for it.

Instead of asking these "friends" peruse meetup.com and see if you can't find some groups to join for hiking, biking, general social stuff to do around town, etc. Go and do activities with them and allow yourself to relax and have fun with new people who actually have similar interests to you and are doing them.

Also, as much as you might not feel in the mood to go to a big b-day party at a club, make yourself do it. It's important to change gears from time to time, otherwise you'll just keep sinking into depression. When you get surrounded by happy laughing people, sure it might not feel right initially, might even be irritating at first, but after a bit, the positive energy around will end up lifting you up as well despite yourself. In fact the more you make yourself open your mind to it, the faster it will work and you need that mental break so you can go back to dealing with the bad things in life a little stronger and refreshed. Allow yourself that.

Hugs to you. You are a strong person and not alone.

That sucks I'm sorry for your father's situation.

You definitely need more support. I'd tell my friends clearly that I need their support in my situation (in case they somehow didn't figure that out...), that you really need a buddy right now. Some of them may step up and realize that they're needed at this time.

Maybe there are also some other people you can talk to... Maybe people lonely at the hospital too. Maybe you could join some support group.

And for more fun things - what if you've found time for yourself to enjoy some activities with a set group of people, at a sport club, art classes etc.

Also, maybe some other family members can support you in taking care of your father? Sit with you, change you more often, support you mentally?

We have a big family but my family is no help. We live within 40 minutes from everyone and they visit when we go to the icu. It's just me and my sister.

Archived