Questions and developmental goals

jackie103

I recent graduated college and started a full time job working as a manufacturing engineer. I've been here for about 3 months now and each year, the plant manager meets one on one to talk about developmental goals with the company and to ask questions.

I'm pretty bad at these things and I want to look impressive by asking good questions and having good developmental goals.

I want to be able to try different things and work in different departments since I honestly still don't know what I want to do or what area I'm really interested in. Would this be good to bring up? I'm really just very flexible and open to everything and want to try everything. I'd also like to make a lasting effect... Seems like a waste of time for me to do all this work and for people to not even end up following it a couple months later. I guess I am big on sustainability.

As for questions for him, I'm a little lost. I want to know an area he would really like for me to focus on to improve but I feel like he would turn that around on me and ask me what area I see should be most improved...

Basically I want to make a good impression although I have spoken to him briefly before accepting my job here. Any suggestions?

Well, if the manager is actually interested in your feelings and ambitions, all of the things you brought up in your posting are good areas to talk about. If he's a good boss, he could give you career advice as well. But it depends on the company's culture and the personality of your manager.

Archived