Lost my mom to cancer and now have anxiety about losing my fiance

tala

Hi All,

I've never posted in a forum before, but I've been feeling really anxious and would love to know/feel that I'm not alone.

I'm 33 years old, lost my mom at 24 to ovarian cancer. She was my only parent and best friend,my dad is an alcaholic and doesn't want a relationship with me. A little over two years ago, I met a man who is now my fiance, and he is the most beautiful person I have ever met, and his love and support were able to heal me so much. We have a very healthy relationship, and are getting married october of next year.

He is leaving tonight to go on a trip overseas to see some family and for work for two weeks, and for the past three days I have had a near debilitating fear of something happening to him. I wasn't anticipating feeling this way and was looking forward to spending some time alone, but now I find myself constantly thinking about losing him, and the idea is so so so horrifying and painful.

I know a lot of people have similar feelings, and a lot of people are able to control them, so any prayers/advice/words of comfort would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading!

You might want to visit your doctor and see if you can get a prescription for Ativan, just to relax you for two weeks. You can also go the natural route with

Passionflower

Lavender

Lemon Balm

Ashwagandha

L-theanine

Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri)

Ginkgo Biloba

Gotu Kola

Valerian Root

There are supplements that combine some of these herbs together.

And my favorite, is have a couple of drinks before bed for the next few weeks. That's what our great grandparents did.

When he comes back, hopefully your anxiety will recede. And obviously get some counseling if it continues.

I am so sorry to hear about how your feeling .. I recently lost my mother to lung cancer (Aug 31) and am only 30 years old and have been just devistated.. I am a stay at home mom and most of the time I feel worthless and just want to sit and cry all day...does this get easier? My mom was/is my best friend and confidant and it seems terrifying to live my life without her. I am an only child so I have no siblings to turn to. My husband of 6 years has been amazing but I don't think he fully understands the size of the hole in my heart.

• 2 months later...

I just came across this post and I hope your fiancé made it home safe and all is well. I thought I was the only one who experienced these feelings, I lost my Mom to Melanoma when I was 19. My husband leaves most weekends during hunting season to stay in his cabin and while he is gone I usually have to keep myself busy to the pointe of exhaustion to keep from worrying and anxiety.

My doctor has prescribed me a low dose of Clonazepam which has helped tremendously but it can also be a dangerous drug if not used as prescribed. It was my last result after trying other medicine and counseling for years. I am new to this forum but I do hope you have a follow up post and things have started getting better for you and your now husband I suppose.

Remember to stay strong and not let your fears control you. I know easier said than done, so if you’re still feeling this way I would strongly suggest seeing a counselor. I never believed just talking to someone about my feelings could help so much but they do!

Best of luck!!

Archived