Long Term Relationship: Spark Is Fading

My boyfriend and I have been together for two years. We both really love each other but our relationship seems to be slowing down. We're past the stage where we get butterflies from talking to each other. We still call each other things like "love" and "darling" and we appreciate each other deeply, but the spark has died down a lot. We're both really scared to lose each other and don't want to break up (We broke up for a couple months and neither of us want that to happen again.) My question is, how to make the relationship fun again? I know that the "honeymoon stage" doesn't last forever, but our relationship feels bleak.

Also, I don't want to break up with him, I am sure of it, I'd rather be with him than in a completely new and exciting relationship. I just want our relationship to stay on loving and happy terms.

Wow-legit going through the same feelings and thought process. I've been stressing over my relationship (2.5 years) lately because like you, I've felt the chemistry fizzle and spark fade. I can't bring it up to my friends or they're really going to voice my worst fear: break up. I don't want to, we love each other, we just bought a house, we have a life together.... but sometimes late at night I have an overwhelming sense of sadness and anxiety that this has maybe run its course. I feel like it's gone stale at times, but I've never had a relationship last this long so I have nothing to compare it to. I'm sorry this isn't exactly advice...I guess I just wanted you to know you're not alone because the one in the world to think this way... my bottom line question that always comes back to me is: "is this normal for this stage in our relationship or are we just two people that have slid back to being best friends under the same roof? And if I leave him, will I regret it or wish I did it sooner?"

I hope you get some clarity soon, I appreciate your post.

Archived