Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong to ask bf for half the household expenses?

Gymgirl71

Exclamation Is it wrong to ask bf for half the household expenses?

My boyfriend has been living with me for over a year. The first 4.5 months he paid nothing because he was looking for a job. Fine. So then he started contributing 600/mo which ends up being 25% of the household expenses. I was ok with it because he didn't make much. 2 or 3 months ago he got a better paying job but continues to pay the same. We spend more on groceries and light bill is more because of the AC. I confronted him and told him he will need to start paying half. He had a fit. Said that he didn't think I was like this, and that he also buys stuff for the house and takes me shopping and buys me things I need. He will buy me things once in a while and as far as the things for the house we both share doing that and lately, I have been buying things to give him a break. He has no expenses other than his 30.00 per month phone bill. He is being selfish and wants all the money to himself while I struggle. He sees I have a child and back to school I had to spend a lot on things and I still need to buy stuff. I never get to do things for myself hardly ever. He took me shopping once in the spring and then once in the summer and it was for my birthday. Now he is telling me off and saying how selfish I am. I told him he should have no issue paying half being he lives in the house with us. I don't think hes being fair. Every time I try to bring up expenses he has a fit, and tells me he will see what he can give extra. Meanwhile. he buys himself 3 pairs of jeans one check. then spends over 80.00 on shirts this check, plus a watch and I don't know what else he spends his money on. AND when he is broke and has no money before pay period I loan him 10-20 or so to buy coffee or whatever.

Tell me am I being used or taken advantage of here??

dias
    Gold Member
    Yes! When it comes to money, my opinion is always the same: Show him the door!

3. Thanks mines thanked for this post
    Gymgirl71
    Quote Originally Posted by dias [Register to see the link]
    Yes! When it comes to money, my opinion is always the same: Show him the door!
    I thought so. He made me feel guilty for asking for his equal share. He pays 600 and I pay almost 1400 not including my cell phone and credit card!

pippy longstocking
    Platinum Member
    My god girl ...kick his @rse out or to the cash machine ....you let this happen and now he has got comfy with all his money ...so stick to your guns .

6. Thanks mines thanked for this post
    Gymgirl71
    Quote Originally Posted by pippy longstocking [Register to see the link]
    My god girl ...kick his @rse out or to the cash machine ....you let this happen and now he has got comfy with all his money ...so stick to your guns .
    Yeah I was way too nice. He thought he could blind me by taking me shopping every now and then. Now he has to go. Let him find a place paying that little.

LHGirl
    Gold Member
    It doesn't matter what he spends on himself buying clothes, etc. Nor does it matter what you spend on yourself or your daughter.

What matters here is that you are sharing a household, and he should pay 50% of the household expenses. Period.

Period.

9. Thanks mines thanked for this post
    DanZee
    Gold Member
    He thinks he's still living with his parents. And I'm sure his parents would have had him paying more. This is not good for your relationship. He's already sponging off you. You have a child you're raising and it seems like you have a big baby as a bf who wants to be supported himself. Come up with a number that reflects what his half should be (probably minus baby expenses) and present it to him. If he won't pay up, kick him out.

Gymgirl71
    Quote Originally Posted by LHGirl [Register to see the link]
    It doesn't matter what he spends on himself buying clothes, etc. Nor does it matter what you spend on yourself or your daughter.

What matters here is that you are sharing a household, and he should pay 50% of the household expenses. Period.

Period.
    Exactly. He seems to think that what is doing is enough. Bills come first and foremost, then what you have leftover you figure out what you can do. That is what I always learned my whole life. That is what responsible adults do. He is 42 for goodness sakes, I know people who are much younger than him who are more responsible.

Heck I was more responsible than him at 16.

Gymgirl71
    Quote Originally Posted by DanZee [Register to see the link]
    He thinks he's still living with his parents. And I'm sure his parents would have had him paying more. This is not good for your relationship. He's already sponging off you. You have a child you're raising and it seems like you have a big baby as a bf who wants to be supported himself. Come up with a number that reflects what his half should be (probably minus baby expenses) and present it to him. If he won't pay up, kick him out.
    I even came up with 40% because I make a bit more than him. Technically, that shouldn't even mater. But he also had a fit over 40% so he can hit the road.

HeartGoesOn
    Unfortunately this is not only about money, it's about his total lack of respect for you. According to your past threads you've stated that you've contemplated tossing him out, yet he's still there.

It's also unfair to allow your child to have to live with this monster. He's a waste of space, and you deserve better for both you and your child.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
Female friend and boyfriend
My boyfriend of 2 years has a female friend that he has known since middle school. They are now both 29. I've never cared for her too much, because
College DRAMA??
*** This is the very FIRST WEEK ***College" as in NOT university- We're all 18 (ish) and live with parents**** Basically, the majority of the
Girlfriend been acting distant this week.. Is she scared of deeper feelings for me due to ex? (long)
I've noticed in the past week my girlfriends texting has changed and she doesn't text me as much now as she used to. She initiates every day, but
He looks at his ex's instagram constantly is this bad for our/a relationship?
Lets get this out the way: I secretly took my boyfriends instagram password. I know this shows a sign of insecurity and lack of trust. I am honestly
Girlfriend not affectionate
I just discovered this site and read through some past forum postings but wanted to reach out ofr feedback on my specific situation. I 'started'
He sexually texts when I'm with a friend
What does it mean when he explicitly texts when I'm with my girlfriend? He does it when I'm with her more so than with others. I find it unsettling
His "Lesbian friend" that isn't a Lesbian
Okay so... my boyfriend had this friend which he used to hook up with a while back before me and him started dating, they were friends and told

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
College DRAMA??
*** This is the very FIRST WEEK ***College" as in NOT university- We're all 18 (ish) and live with parents**** Basically, the majority of the
Rude?
I took a girl out for dinner and drinks and didn't get a thank you. And was ghosted mid convo after the date. Now that I'm getting over the
On a dating site...just 2 weeks after break up
Can anyone shine some light on this.... 2 weeks after she dumped me, she is on Match...We were together for 2 .5 years...She dumped me once, then
Are we breaking up? How to act around him?
Hello, I have a problem to which I can't find a solution by myself and would love some advice! Here is the short story: 6 months ago I went to
Caught my partner of 20 years speaking to other men
I have been with my partner for 20 yrs this year,we have a16 he old son together .I love him so much,recently I was online and I found an email from
Am I dating the right guy at the wrong time?
Hi everyone. So..recently I've felt anxious and questioned the strength of my relationship and I'm not entirely sure why. I don't have any reason
Hello everyone tips / advice needed
Thank you everyone for the advice
Ask For Advice