10 months in: Don't want relationship title but wants to exclusively date me

scheme

So I've been dating a woman for 10 months who has a hard time with commitment and opening up. I asked her what she wanted the other night because we had not discussed it and told her I wanted to be on the same page. She told me she likes our relationship and the label of boyfriend/girlfriend gives her anxiety. She told me she is not actively looking for another romantic partner and she is only sleeping with me. She also said she still may move overseas some point next year. Then she tells me she loves spending time with me and everything is perfect so she is conflicted about getting into a relationship.

I have an amazing time with her but if I know that it's not going anywhere then I feel like I should move forward. Am I being unreasonable here? Yes we could go on the way things are and keep having fun and see where things go...or maybe I'm just being strung along because she does have fun with me and will discard me when she moves or finds another option. Can anyone help give me some insight?

I would part ways with her. If after 10 months she tells you that its too much anxiety to being you girlfriend and hints about moving away - i would leave to find someone who *does* want a relationship. They may need to go on a few dates with you to figure out that you are the one that they want to be in a relationship with, but nevertheless. Things shouldn't be this much work

She is just sleeping with you until she decides to move away. She is not interested in a relationship, but you'll do for now until something better comes along. If you can dig that, then just go with it. IF you can't then start dating someone else as you are technically not in an exclusive relationship with her.

Have to agree with everyone else that you are wasting your time if you are looking for an actual relationship. All fluff and bs aside, she did tell you what you don't want to hear and that is that you are just a fun for now guy while she is contemplating drastic life changes like moving away. In other words, she is not relationship material and has other plans for herself that do not include you.

So if you enjoy the fun times, carry on. If you are seeking a serious relationship, then drop her and go find a woman who actually wants what you want.

i agree with everyone else.

the only thing i would say is if you like her dont dump her until you've told her what you would like. if she's not "up for that" then dump her and move on. lay all your cards on the table and if she doesnt want it you can move forward without her knowing you've done the right thing.

good luck and i hope you find happiness.

You are in what is called an "Open" relationship meaning she is keeping her options open. That way if she kisses another guy or whatever she can say "But we are not BF/GF" If you can handle that, then continue what you have been doing. If you want more then you will have to find it with someone else.

• 5 weeks later...

What I would be interested in, in this situation, is why she says she is thinking of moving elsewhere. Is it because of the relationship/commitment anxiety that she had come up with this idea of moving away as an easy escape from dealing with getting deeper into the relationship? Or is it unrelated? I suppose its up to you how much effort you want to put into finding out the truth vs moving on. She sounds like she likes the intimacy of what is happening between you now , as long a she knows she has a door open if her fears get too much to handle.

Archived