In a difficult situation with work

Lotusavx

I just wanted to say, I am not lazy or looking to not work, I enjoy working and I am a hard worker. I started a new job about 6 months ago. The job has grown extremely difficult, uncomfortable and is causing some major mental health and stress issues. I got this job and got a place close to it downtown in my city. I am actively looking for something new while working there, but I don't know how much longer I will last. I use to look forward to my previous job and didn't have so much dread - this isn't normal. I've missed so many days already due to "mental health" and "being sick" because it is terribly stressful. I am afraid that I will quit, in a fit unhappiness and dread. I live on my own and my expenses aren't too much, but I only have enough saved up to live for about 2 months. So I am trying to tough it out until I find something new, but I am afraid I might not last that long. I definitely wouldn't be happy being unemployed, and would use every ounce of effort to search for a new job, but it scares me to death if I couldn't find one, and ran out of money. The point is, I dread my job, it is affecting me mentally, and I've worked some tough jobs and never felt this way - usually have quite a thick skin when it comes to work. Any advice??

Well, this happens. Sometimes a new job doesn't work out. It would be helpful to have some idea what kind of job this is to offer some concrete suggestions, but the standard advice would be to talk to your boss about what you're going through and see if he/she can help. In some circumstances a boss can assign someone to work with you, or give you extra training. You can gain respect from the boss sometimes by admitting you're having problems. At least that would explain your sick days the boss probably has noticed. Since you're looking for other jobs, you have nothing to lose.

Have you considered starting your own business, perhaps online? My husband and I have been self employed for just over 20 yrs. Our online biz is about 6 yrs old and gets better all the time. Being your own boss is good and bad, you have to have the self discipline to do your work well and on time, whatever it is. But it beats the hell out of working for someone else at a job you hate.

Archived