Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GF situation - bit of a mess

JFlo

GF situation - bit of a mess

Hi all!

Long story short as possible - my very sweet, beautiful, girlfriend (who I've been lucky enough to have been with for over 2 years) and I have been having some issues that I'd like unbiased opinions on.

I think I created the problem back when we 1st got together as I didn't mention the fact that one of my closer friends is female - I guess partly through design (I was concerned at how she'd feel about me having a close female friend at 1st) and partially it simply didn't come up as me and said friend rarely spoke/met, especially at the time.

This friend did declare a romantic interest in me at one stage last year just days after my gf broke up with me - my gf then explained that there had been some confusion and she hadn't intended to break up with me and we immediately were back together though she did go on to break up with me again just before Christmas ( we got together again after a few months).

Anyway on rare occasions that my friend and I have met since it has led to bad reactions from my gf. My gf has been upfront with me in stating she wasn't happy she hadn't met the friend but 1) I don't see her often myself and 2) my gf's reactions to the times when we have met sort of made me uneasy about the whole situation. They did go on to meet and actually got on fairly well. Soon after, however, my girlfriend hacked my phone while I was in the shower and accessed private conversations between my friend and I. I'm not sure what she expected to find but has been extremely unhappy since with some of the comments my friend has made to me (some of which were last August) - they have argued since but now blocked each other.

I was just wondering if anyone could let me know how I should feel about all this as I'm confused as to where certain lines of blame should be drawn and also how to move forwards (1st and foremost I'd like things to be better with my gf)?

Thank you!

rosephase
    You've broken up two times in two years. It doesn't sound like your relationship is very stable or that either of you are very good at communication. How do you break up with someone but not intend it?

Your friend has expressed romantic interest in you. I'm all for opposite gender friendships but having space for your friend is a fairly big ask of your girlfriend. And IF your friend is still hung up on you, you aren't doing her any favors by sticking around and not letting her heal and move on. It also sounds like your girlfriend doesn't trust you. So really it's a big ball of disfunction where none of you know how to handle relationships with good communication or respect.

All that being said... what do you want? Do you want to keep trying with this woman who has dumped you twice and doesn't trust you? How much does closeness to your friend matter more than her own happiness and chance at a real relationship? What are you getting out of this situation?

JFlo

Thanks for the response Rose - all makes a lot of sense, sometimes it really helps just to hear it from someone else and have it verified. My priority is to make things right with my gf. There were other issues between my gf and I at the time that definitely weren't anyone's fault and I understood her reasons - I think we're starting to get better with the communication too although obviously this was a big hiccup.

With regards to the friend, she has pressured me a lot into meeting up but more recently I have simply started avoiding her as I feel it's perhaps best for all parties.

rosephase
    Quote Originally Posted by JFlo [Register to see the link]
    Thanks for the response Rose - all makes a lot of sense, sometimes it really helps just to hear it from someone else and have it verified. My priority is to make things right with my gf. There were other issues between my gf and I at the time that definitely weren't anyone's fault and I understood her reasons - I think we're starting to get better with the communication too although obviously this was a big hiccup.

With regards to the friend, she has pressured me a lot into meeting up but more recently I have simply started avoiding her as I feel it's perhaps best for all parties.
    If you priority is your girlfriend then then let your friend know you are going to take some space from her. Don't blame it on your girlfriend. Don't say it's because of your girlfriend. Tell your friend that you respect her but feel like your friendship is hurtful to her while she is still hung up on you. And then follow through. Don't respond to her. Don't meet up with her. Let her move on and heal.

JFlo

Thanks very much Rose - I'll do just that.

reinventmyself
    Is this to males view to Travellers Girl or Stressedgf post? or the same person.
    Too many similarities for first time OP's

thealchemist
    I am not one to put down friendships of opposite genders, it can be healthy in a relationship and being inherently against them looks like the SO is just insecure.

That isn't the case if the individual has disclosed romantic feelings. I can understand her being upset by that.

More to the point, this relationship seems very dramatic and a lot of work. Do you even want to be with this person? You two sound pretty low on compatibility.

DanZee
    Gold Member
    Gfs get extremely jealous when there's another girl in the picture. They expect you to associate only with guys. My wife originally got jealous about the girl that cuts my hair, but I've known her longer than I've known my wife. She came along to the salon I go to a couple of times probably to make sure I wasn't getting any "happy endings."

In any event, your gf sounds a bit flakey. What was the cause of the break ups? Maybe there's more of a clue there.

rosephase
    Quote Originally Posted by DanZee [Register to see the link]
    Gfs get extremely jealous when there's another girl in the picture. They expect you to associate only with guys. My wife originally got jealous about the girl that cuts my hair, but I've known her longer than I've known my wife. She came along to the salon I go to a couple of times probably to make sure I wasn't getting any "happy endings."

In any event, your gf sounds a bit flakey. What was the cause of the break ups? Maybe there's more of a clue there.
    I'm a girlfriend. I love it when my partners have female friends. I take it as a good sign that they can love and respect women as something other than sexual or romantic objects. Not all women are that insecure.

thealchemist
    Quote Originally Posted by DanZee [Register to see the link]

I have a dozen girlfriends that I have known longer than my wife. She never gets jealous. I go camping on long trips with these girls too. Jealous is only around with insecurity or just cause. Or sometimes just plain old crazy...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Top Threads
Dated, broke up, reconciled, had a relationship, now dumped again
I took a hiatus from this site because in the past year or so, I made so many bad decisions that I felt I could no longer, in good conscience, offer
Ladies...Help please! Is my girl losing intrest or is she really busy?
Hey friends. I'd really appreciate some female advice here. We've been together for 7 months. I am 34, shes 25 and haven't been the best
HELP Am I in a relationship but still in love with my ex? Cant figure it out!
Okay yall here we go. Please bare with meI do tell a good story though so yea, cuz my life is a ing mess lmao OK! So I am currently in a
One-way relationship
Hello :) I have a little dilemma and I would really appreciate some of your thoughts and advice you have to offer. I have been in a relationship
GF Won't change FB Relationship Status - I don't understand why.
Hello, I've never posted online about this kind of stuff before but I'm having a really odd situation and not sure what to do... Been with my
Advice please
Hi i have been with my boyfriend for over four years now and we are both in our 40s , everything we have a disagreement he blocks me on whatsapp and
Ex GF messaged me 3 days after break-up
My ex girlfriend i really loved dumped me on Monday for being really clingy and needy. She acted really cold and didn't want to talk to me that day

Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Ive been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Im at a really bad state of mind right now
Its been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, hes messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I dont care about), and has
Ask For Advice