Completely lost in life?

Hi all. I am a 21 year old male living in NYC. I will make this really short and simple to the point. I went to college for a few years and terribly disliked it. I didn't see how it would help and it was so much money and I had no clue what I was doing (not in class). I went to trade school and studied a few trades and liked locksmithing but it was very hard to get a job and come in as a newbie. I somehow then got into the diamond business. I went to GIA and earned a diamond degree. I fell in love and found my passion... For about 6 months now I have been applying to so many diamond companies it has been a joke. I have done everything. I have emailed multiple times and hand wrote letters with resumes to over 300 companies all getting ignored. I covered every diamond company in New York City. I did not know the diamond business was bo bad and it is basically becoming an extinct business. Anyway through my networking my diamond cutter/ friend offered me some wedding hall waiter jobs in his neighborhood. I will be taking them. My question is how will I actually make it in life? 20K a year is not a life or a career. I am really nervous and have no clue how it will be all ok. Oh also, I live alone in my grandparents apartment they help me out with about 200 a month and my parents don't talk to me I come from a non loving dysfunctional family... Any advice you can tell a 21 year old....in my position...

NY is probably saturated with people in the diamond business - you might need to leave the city or area in order to find a job in that field. Once you get experience then you can move back. Also sending out "cold call" resumes is not the best way to find a job. Word of mouth is much better. Are there clubs/associations/social groups etc etc in the business that you can join in order to rub shoulders with others already working in the field?

Also, and I'm sorry to tell you this but the diamond business is slowing dying. Apparently Millennials (that's you my friend) no longer want to purchase them. I was reading an article on this just the other day.

Good news: You're young, you can expect some road bumps in life (this is one of them) and you know you are clever and dedicated enough to do things and make decisions. You'll do fine in the long run.

Was in Amsterdam recently....they have a big diamond trade. Would you consider looking there?

No money... literally have like 400 in bank..and no nit willing..go there and do what...no friends family support..no guarantee it a good bussiness there..no place to stay and so many things

My understanding is that the jewelry/diamond business especially in NYC is very much word of mouth/family businesses. So what professional organizations/networking organizations have you joined? Does GIA have job placement resources?

I also love the suggestion that you figure out why you love this business and how your talents and skills might be transferable. In addition I'd attend one of the local community colleges and find some way to finish at least a 4 year degree -no need to spend a lot of $ - the college degree is often essential just for getting your foot in the door. Good luck!

Archived