Is it rude to ask for the gifts you gave your ex back

Virallad

My ex and I broke up for more than a month now. He bought me a gift which was worth 450 pounds so I asked for it as I left it at his place. He initially agreed to send it. 5 days later he blocked me everywhere and didn't return my emails about my stuff yet. I spoke with his mother who live abroad she said he might be afraid of closure but I find it he is doing it to hurt me more

So I'm planning to ask him for the phone and the laptop I bought him which totals over 1450 pounds. If he refuses to send me the things he bought me shouldn't he send me the things I bought him

I am planning to have a letter of demand (letter before action) to be sent by a solicitor but do you think it's a good idea as I want to have peace with him

You can't demand that someone gives you a gift back. Look up definition of gift. The actual course of legal action you have against him is that he is holding YOUR property and he has to turn it over to you whether he likes it or not. Don't know where you live, but here in the US you can pretty much show up with the local police officer and collect your belongings if your ex is being adversarial about it.

What is it you're asking for?

Personally, I prefer to return gifts of exceptional value and I generally consider it just the decent thing to do. That said, I can understand holding onto lifestyle gifts like a computer, phone, or, for my own examples, a really nice expensive blender I got for Christmas and a high grade espresso machine and tablet I've gotten my lady. I'd never explicitly ask, but I know I'd offer to return something like a really nice watch and would appreciate the same gesture in return. But at the end of the day, no one is obligated.

My point of view is the gift was given based on the context of the relationship at the time. It was not bound by strings or stipulations.

I've only asked for a gift back from an ex once. I had gotten a boudoir photo shoot and given him a small photo album of the shots. When I gave it to him I said this was only his as long as we were together. We both agreed that was fair.

So you would have kept the 450 pound gift if he sent it to you? It's pretty hypocritical and petty to ask for the gifts you gave him back on this basis. Why waste money getting a lawyer. I know you're hurt but I would let it go. There's no good reason to drag this out.

My ex and I broke up for more than a month now. He bought me a gift which was worth 450 pounds so I asked for it as I left it at his place. He initially agreed to send it. 5 days later he blocked me everywhere and didn't return my emails about my stuff yet. I spoke with his mother who live abroad she said he might be afraid of closure but I find it he is doing it to hurt me more

So I'm planning to ask him for the phone and the laptop I bought him which totals over 1450 pounds. If he refuses to send me the things he bought me shouldn't he send me the things I bought him

I am planning to have a letter of demand (letter before action) to be sent by a solicitor but do you think it's a good idea as I want to have peace with him

If you bought him a phone and laptop, cancel service on the phone if you pay for it -- but honestly, if you bought it for him as a gift you should let it go.

As far as the gift to you -- did he buy it recently (if it already had been given to you in the past - why would you have to ask him to send it to you?"

Archived