Sick to death of my roommates puppy

Devon111

So three weeks ago my roommate and her boyfriend got a puppy (lab cross) they asked me if I'm fine with it staying here every once in a while and I said yes bearing in mind I've never owned a dog and didn't know how naughty they were if not trained (I love them though) and that it would live at her boyfriends house. So the boyfriend took it home one week and his mum said she doesn't want it living there, so now it's stuck here. We live in a two story town house with pretty much no outdoor area only a tiny courtyard and the whole house is brand new with new carpets and no pets are allowed. I'm best friends with my flat mate so I don't want to cause any tension or force her to sell the dog but it's driving me crazy. I'm a student so I'm home often but she's a flight attendant so she's away a lot and her boyfriend works full time and never looks after it even though it's his

Dog too. They puppy is so naughty tries to rip up the carpet, pees and poos EVERYWHERE like every 30minutes and it smells out the whole house and she doesn't clean it up properly, she never baths it so it smells disgusting, and I have accidentally not shut my door and it pooed in my room and peed on my pillow on top of my bed I told her and her boyfriend and they just seen my message didn't reply or anything. She's away at the moment for work for four nights and her boyfriends supposed to stay to look after it, she left us no doggy pads , no doggy bags or paper bags and also no food as her boyfriend was supposed to bring us some but he didn't turn up until 10pm drunk ! I don't want to sound like a to her but it's my flat mates and my house too and we didn't sign up for a smelly, pissy flat just so they can have a puppy. I feel sorry for it because they have never attempted to train it, I've suggested puppy school but they aren't listening and it's continuously locked in the garage for whole days I don't want to let it out cause then I'm stuck with cleaning up its mess, looking after it when I really don't want to

What do I do !?

Little dogs need to be trained on how to go to the bathroom and they're like little people . It's not the puppy's fault . And that requires people being at home to look after it . If they are not there to look after it they are not being proper pet owners and need to be reported .

You say you don't want to upset your friendship but your friend clearly isn't concerned about her friendship with you.

You need to tell them to find some sort of arrangement for the dog. Give them a time frame.

Tell them you didn't agree to this, it's not fair to you or the dog and they need to make some sort of arrangement for the pup within a the week.

Period.

Best thing for the pup is that it has a home where someone is available to take care of it. Anything less is neglect and abuse. Surely your friend might

be reasonable enough to understand this.

With a true friendship comes respect. Without it it's not a friendship.

i really hate POS owners, like with a passion

bf works full time, gf is a flight attendant , yes perfect timing for a puppy smh

These are the worst owners besides owners that physically abuse animals

these are the times where they should be spending the most time with a dog.

its not a child (to some people they are) but it needs a lot of attention

especially if its part lab, those dogs need to be active.

This needs to be reported to local law enforcement as soon as possible. This is not proper treatment for any animal, puppy or full-grown doggie! This puppy needs attention, affection, training, and needs to live in the house like family, not locked in a garage, this is animal abuse. You can report anonymously if you feel you need to; you can say you're a neighbor who has observed what you think is animal abuse. Poor little thing; I really hope you take proper action. Who else will be a voice for this helpless animal who is 100% innocent?

Good luck, thanks for writing here, I hope you choose to help this puppy get away from these horrible owners!

I know a couple that got a puppy they ended up not feeling like taking care of, so they took it for a car ride and "accidentally" opened the door and let it get out. To this day I can't even look at those two.

I would ask them if they would just rehome the poor puppy. I can't fathom why they got one when neither of them is around to give it proper care and attention. Puppies are living creatures, not a lamp or a knick knack.

As you probably know by now, dogs are high maintenance to keep. Feeding, training, and even vetinarian bills (super expensive if you got a large dog like a lab). And if the dog isn't properly socialized with other dogs or people it will turn aggressive. My dog (corgi) was lunged by a lab in obedience class and the instructor kicked out the owners because the dog was dangerous (9 month old dog starting puppy obedience and already was attacking another dog in the classroom).

Training starts Day 1 with puppies. I had my puppy completely housebroken at 3 months old. Your friend shouldn't have one with the destruction it's making. Dog should be put in a kennel/cage if not supervised, but you can't do that to a dog if you are out of town for 4 days.

What I'd do:

Contact and file a police/animal control report, surrender the dog over to a shelter/rescue(the dog deserves better care than what your roommate/bf are giving), and time to move out. They will be mega pissed that you surrendered the dog, but the puppy deserve better and you have sent them a strong message that you aren't going to be responsible for it. Also, living in a house with fecal matter and it not being properly cleaned is a serious health issue. I'm assuming you're renting a townhouse if you mentioned "no pets are allowed." You can be evicted off the property for this, even though the dog isn't yours; upkeeping the place is. I've had a neighbor who was evicted for the same reason as your roommate is pulling with her dog.

Also, your friend is a selfish a**hole for trashing the place, risking an eviction, and placing responsibility on you. Her boyfriend is a piece of work, especially making decisions that aren't his place of keeping an animal illegally ON YOUR PROPERTY. It is really time to stand up for yourself here no matter where their feelings are in this. They have proven themselves incapable of raising a puppy that it's invasive to YOUR living space. I wouldn't have a damn thing to do with these cretins in the future if I were in your position.

Dude call animal control about it while the puppy is still a puppy that can be adopted out much easier. Are you seriously just sitting there losing sleep and watching it scratch and pee your security deposit away, letting it wallow in its own feces in the garage? Additionally, if and frankly when the landlord catches whiff (probably literally), you could very possibly get evicted, especially if the dog continues to trash the place.

You're kinda ****ed either way at this point, though the consequences will only get worse in time. May as well at least do the animal the solid and give it the chance for a better life.

I would do all of what was suggested plus notify the landlord since it's not your dog, get ready to move out and if at all possible tell your roommate you need to talk to her about the security deposit if you would be on the hook for any of it. I am very sorry you are in this situation.

Archived