He won't talk to me

anon478

Hi. My partner and I always had a great relantionship, we are both young and still live with our parents. When I go to his house, the road is a little bit curvy and dark at night, which my father is always concerned about. When I leave his house, it's always at night (not too late, around 8pm) and I'm in my car alone;however, my boyfriend always goes behind me on his car until he knows i'm safe and in a place I know. Well, the last time, he drived behind me until the traffic light before my house, which it's like seconds away from my home. My dad is super protective with me, and he noticed he didn't drove behind me until my house and that got him mad because he's just very protective and the place where we live in is not a very good place (a lot of criminal stuff going on) I told my boyfriend, and he texted my dad inmmediately and it was not in a very great way. It was not disrespectful but anyone who reads it would know that he had an attitude going on. My dad was mad about the way he texted him when he only was trying to protect me. So, I texted my partner in a soft, calming, and loving way about the text he sent to my father. I tried to explain him that it was not the right way to solve a problem, I told him that I loved him and I knew that he always tries his best to protect me and give me everything I need. He just feels like he's not doing anything right from my dad's eyes! Since I sent him that text, he haven't talked to me.

Was I wrong on something?

Should I text him again? It's been almost a day since he doesn't talk to me.

Your dad is over-protective, OP. Driving behind you all the way to your house is too much. How did your dad even notice this? Was he watching and waiting for you, or did you tell him? How old are you and your boyfriend?

You might want to be more discreet in what you share with your boyfriend, as well. Did he really need to know Dad was angry? I think I would have calmed down dear ol' Dad and left it at that. You're old enough to be driving, so you're old enough to begin navigating the adult world and Dad will need to release his grip at some point.

Having said that, your boyfriend should choose his words more carefully with your Dad too. Responding to him with attitude was not the best idea, I agree with you. However, if this is a frequent point of contention (and it sounds like it is) your boyfriend might be re-evaluating whether it's realistic or worth it to keep the relationship going.

I would not text him. I would call. Ask him to share what's on his mind. If he's not willing to speak, you need to leave it alone and let him cool off a bit.

Archived