Taking Out Important Customers - What to Wear and How to Entertain?

thornz

So I volunteered to wine and dine some important customers at my new job. I have been here a month and know very little about my company and their products beyond my own project. I also know nothing about the customers company. I am also new to the town and haven't had chance to explore the area.

So! Given that I'm unlikely to know much of the usual stuff I'd expect the customers would like to talk about, how do I keep them entertained? I think the venue is likely to be picked by my employer so at least I don't have to worry about that?

I know a lot about food and a lot about engineering (my job) but not a great deal about topical subjects or politics. I think they are foreign so hopefully there won't be too much of a language barrier. I'm useless at small talk. Any suggestions for what I can bring up for discussion and to ensure the customers have an enjoyable time?

Also what do I wear? My usual dinner/drinks outfit would be tight dress, knee length or below and high/modest neckline.

I have an outfit in mind. Form fitting cerise high waist pencil skirt with a cropped vintage style black tailored top and black mid height wedge shoes. Maybe pics are necessary?

Forgot to mention I was asked an hour ago to take them out tomorrow after work so my research time will be limited. Probably should have asked them how to spell the company name so I can look it up!

I strongly suggest you educate yourself on your company, and theirs.

Usually, convo will flow. Ask them questions about their country. you may also want to educate yourself on their customs, as well as things that could be offensive to their culture. People like to talk about themselves. DO NOT talk politics or religion.

Do not wear anything revealing or tight. Keep it professional, as this is work.

Usually, convo will flow. Ask them questions about their country. you may also want to educate yourself on their customs, as well as things that could be offensive to their culture. People like to talk about themselves. DO NOT talk politics or religion.

Do not wear anything revealing or tight. Keep it professional, as this is work.

Please print out the above in GIANT font.

I've been in the business world for several decades, and spent many years as a client being taken out, and "wined and dined". Nothing infuriates me more than someone trying to impress me with their knowledge of wine and fashion, but who knows little about my business or products.

I've gone so far as to literally never talk to those people again.

LEARN YOUR STUFF. The rest will fall into place.

Do not wear anything revealing or tight. Keep it professional.

There's not much time for that I was asked today to take them out tomorrow after work.

I hate politics and religion so very glad to avoid those topics lol.

I would like to find out more about the company without boring them with business speech. I'll do my usual interview trick and ask them what their favourite product is and which project was a thorn in their side.

Asking about their country is a good idea, best places to visit, cuisine, (I'm assuming they're foreign they may well be English haaa.) I'm pretty good at getting bar tenders to make random drinks on my request so I could try some cocktail requests based on their favourite liqers?

I don't feel comfortable in anything that isn't at least reasonably tight but I don't show much flesh so I think I can get away with that. I wear tight things to work and still think I look professional.

I joked to my colleagues I will take them to a strip club 😇😇😇

Please print out the above in GIANT font.

I've been in the business world for several decades, and spent many years as a client being taken out, and "wined and dined". Nothing infuriates me more than someone trying to impress me with their knowledge of wine and fashion, but who knows little about my business or products.

I've gone so far as to literally never talk to those people again.

LEARN YOUR STUFF. The rest will fall into place.

Maybe I'm on the wrong side of the bar? I wouldn't mind being wined and dined for decades. I know nothing about wine and my fashion taste is uhm "unique" lol. I love my role and could tell them plenty about what I do but when asked my boss said they had no order for my product.

Trying to impress people isn't really my thing but as an engineer it's highly likely I will have a genuine interest in their company and that will come across. I'm also sick of being bored and on my own so really looking forward to getting to know our customers. I could ask them what they value most in a business relationship? What issues they have had in the past with suppliers etc? Or is that too doom and gloom?

What if they don't drink? I think that you should put more of the focus on the company and culture, other than cocktails and outfits. Remember, this is to be treated as a business meeting, not a night out with friends.

Fine if they don't drink, I generally avoid alcohol but since my boss specifically said wine and dine I'm guessing they will. The outfit is more for myself, if I feel comfortable I will be more open and a better "host".

I think the business culture will probably define the way I will approach the event. If they are anything like our company I feel sorry for the restaurant owners haa.

Going to see if I can miraculously find the company by googling random combinations of letters that sound vaguely like part of the company name!

Also what do I wear? My usual dinner/drinks outfit would be tight dress, knee length or below and high/modest neckline.

I have an outfit in mind. Form fitting cerise high waist pencil skirt with a cropped vintage style black tailored top and black mid height wedge shoes. Maybe pics are necessary?

Forgot to mention I was asked an hour ago to take them out tomorrow after work so my research time will be limited. Probably should have asked them how to spell the company name so I can look it up!

Nope. nope. nope on the cropped top. You want to show no skin above the knee or along your midriff. This is business. if you are wearing a tighter skirt, keep it long and wear a looser figure skimming blazer over your top with it buttoned so you can not see your midriff. If you wear that skirt -- and be HONEST -- does it look like you are sewn in there or is it simply well tailored? You can't go wrong with a well tailored suit and a more fun pattern in your top underneath. A sheath dress is apporpriate if its figure skimming and not bombshell tight.

Nope. nope. nope on the cropped top. You want to show no skin above the knee or along your midriff. This is business. if you are wearing a tighter skirt, keep it long and wear a looser figure skimming blazer over your top with it buttoned so you can not see your midriff. If you wear that skirt -- and be HONEST -- does it look like you are sewn in there or is it simply well tailored? You can't go wrong with a well tailored suit and a more fun pattern in your top underneath. A sheath dress is apporpriate if its figure skimming and not bombshell tight.

No midriff showing the skirt is high waisted so they meet together. The skirt covers my knees but I decided against that outfit after trying it on because it is too summery and bright. Not very tight as I have lost a lot of weight recently. It shows my figure but no risk of busting the seams.

Going to wear the skirt and blazer I wore today but with a more dressy top instead of the shirt I wore.

Navy blue, tailored, knee length, high waisted, tight fitted, suit fabric. Blazer is like a tan tweed colour with suede navy patches on elbows and looks like they form a suit. Top will be sleeveless and loose, tucked into skirt.

At least if the customers turn up in jeans and T-shirts I can take the blazer off lol.

Tried searching on LinkedIn for my employers connections but they don't work that way for employers. Just shows me the employees.

Can always research more about my company tonight if I draw a blank with the name. Curious to find out what our customer does though

Remember, you are representing your company. I would dress to the standards of the industry and what is considered professional. It is not what you are comfortable with.

I'd say what I'm comfortable with is ok or I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I've been witness to a few colleagues having a dressing down over their attire but I have only ever been told off for wearing heels by one boss who was considerably shorter than me (and everyone else in the office). Quite certain it wouldn't have been mentioned if he didn't have an inferiority complex.

My boss came round telling us to dress smartly and directly addressed a few of my colleagues but didn't give me a second look. I always try to look somewhat presentable and occasionally dress more than I need to, wore a suit with crisp shirt and heels today whereas even my bosses don't bother with ties or suit jackets. One colleague was told "No jeans with holes in", I'm guessing he's a repeat offender

OP, why did you ask about your attire, if you were going to disregard out advice?

You said wear something professional and ABB suggested a suit. I'm wearing a suit rather than the more "going out with friends" outfit I originally considered. Can't get much more professional or suit like than a suit. So not following how I disregard your advice when I am wearing what has been suggested.

I actually found the company (I think) and there wasn't much to learn apart from they transport cargo. Maybe they can tell me some more interesting stuff in person. They have some temperature controlled vessels so I will ask if they have any humidity control also. Did some research on a product of ours they probably have too.

Usually "wining and dining" is more informal. Not sure how much of a conversation starter "Do you have humidity controlled vessels" is. Maybe you can ask about the most interesting item they transported, or the most challenging thing they had to transport and how they did it.

I think HollyJ was spot on about asking them questions. People like talking about themselves. If you don't know what country they are from ask your boss (it will show initiative) and then look it up and find things that interest you and display genuine curiosity. You can mention a native dish you always wanted to try since you like food, or ask about province that sounds interesting or where else they have travelled.

You said wear something professional and ABB suggested a suit. I'm wearing a suit rather than the more "going out with friends" outfit I originally considered. Can't get much more professional or suit like than a suit. So not following how I disregard your advice when I am wearing what has been suggested.

I actually found the company (I think) and there wasn't much to learn apart from they transport cargo. Maybe they can tell me some more interesting stuff in person. They have some temperature controlled vessels so I will ask if they have any humidity control also. Did some research on a product of ours they probably have too.

I misread the post about you and your colleagues.

Good luck.

Well it turns out I was researching the wrong company and the two women who are coming are new to the company so won't know anything themselves. There are also two guys coming.

The other person from my company is the new sales director. The technical director told me it's not about business but to show them that we treat our customers well. The Project Manager told me you don't need to do anything fancy just "chit chat and bull" lol

Archived