Nearly 23 and dont have my First Driving License.

BadFeelings

I am actually feeling ashamed and embarrassed to say that. I have got friends who are in my age who got there drivers license when they were 18 or 19 as they were in a different situation than me and my other friends are about to get there licenses. I am 22 right now and about to be 23 and i have not been able to get my driver license in the past 4-5 years because of several reasons. Well one of the reasons is because i had been living in Canada in the passed three years and because of the of the ridiculous and very hard requirements the law requires for me to get a drivers license and the fact i needed my time studying more importantly rather than going through the whole process. Back in the country i use to live in before canada i also had an unsuccessful attempt in getting a drivers license when i was 18. i am actually planning to get my license at my home country and getting an international license from there as well next summer. I am feeling very ashamed that i had wasted those ears without having a license and driving and i wont wont be able to sit next to other people because of this reason. I am also afraid and worried that i would be more years of my life without having a license? Should i be ashamed and embarrassed. Is there any advice? Is there anything wrong with that. Is there any person in the same situation? Is there any advice from people who were in the same situation? Do you think it will happen sometime very soon?

Thank you

I failed a few times at 19. Gave up. Finally got my license at age 49 after years of practicing and getting over fears. I am turning 51 very soon and I still do not drive on my own. For the first 43 years of my life I didn't have to drive where I lived but I moved and it's hard being a non-driver here. Oh and I failed twice in 7 days at age 49 -passed with flying colors on the third try.

You can do this -shaming yourself is so counterproductive. It will happen if you make it happen. I have a young child and it was one of the hardest things I had to do - so many hours practicing silly parallel parking with my young son in the back of the car (and he helped me learn with his matchbox cars!) I have taken many tough exams in my life and this was the most torture. But if I can do it at 49, you can do it! But yes force yourself to take baby steps towards it - get lessons, find someone willing to help you practice, etc You can do this. And then please don't be like me and actually drive on your own, ok??

Big deal! I got my driving license at 23 because I had to commute to work. You can practice with your parents or friends in an empty field. I practiced with my father everyday for an hour for a few months. Don't over think it, just practice.

I was 25 when I got my license, it's no big deal if you dont have one at 23. What do you mean you cant sit next to someone because you dont have a license? That makes no sense to me.

If you need to practice, go to a driving school for lessons, they will teach you properly and help you make your appt. for your test.

I'm Canadian and I am glad we have some serious laws for drivers. You should be pleased to have the ability to lear how to drive properly.

i wont wont be able to sit next to other people because of this reason.

What? There isn't tiered seating depending on whether you have a driving liscence.

For a few reasons, I didn't get my liscence until last year. Other than being able to drive a car it's made absolutely no difference in my life.

As for advice - if you put in the effort and take the time to learn to drive, you'll be able to do it. It's like everything in that it just takes time and practise.

Hi melancholy123.

I had seen your post yesterday.I first thank you very much for your reply. So as a start this has been basically my situation in the past 5 years and it is getting as a matter of fact concerning to me. I first turned 18 in 2012 and was living with my dad in Kuwait as i was finishing my school before i try and join my brother and mom in Canada. A few month at the time i was going to apply for a driver license in Kuwait the Kuwaiti government introduced new changes to driving license law for expats taking away eligibility for people enrolled in schools at the age of 18 and above to apply for driver licenses unless of coarse i enroll in a university in Kuwait and that of coarse had upset me at that time. As i was planning to enroll in a university/ college in Canada and not in Kuwait as the university/colleges in Canada where of higher standards i have tried to know some one in the police in Kuwait to get a drivers license through but that was unsuccessful. After that year i then turned out to need an extra year at school so i waited another year. So after literally spending about 2 years with my dad in Kuwait. I then came and joined a college in Canada and moved in with my mom and brother in august 2014 . And i had been staying in Canada for 3 years doing part time and full time studies at college since then until now. And because of that i had no chance to go through the process to get a Canada license as i had needed my time to study and i had no one to supervise me in car for 12 months because i have no relative of mine who has a car. The only way to get a license in my situation is to get an international license from my home country and i have also been not able to go to my home country for over 6 years. That of coarse is related to reasons due to military conscription and financial reasons. The fact that i have nnot been able to go to my home country and get a license this summer due to financial reasons was very upsetting to me. I am really worried that my situation would not change and i wont get my license? I do a fear of the future if i don't get my license very soon? I am afraid that as well as i am getting older things do get harder for me? Please do give Your best advice to me? Thank you

Hi,

It's okay. It took me awhile to get my driver's license. I failed the road test 3-4 times. Keep practicing and don't give up! One of my friend's brother got his driver's license at age 26. Start with mastering the driving within Canada to East coast states and then work your way up to driving internationally.

• 8 months later...

Thank you guys for all your replies. You have all motivated me to do this. I have got my learners license back in August and i have had many classes so far and i am almost becoming very good at driving right now. I was wondering how many classes would be enough for me to pass my road test from my first attempt?

Hi,

It's okay. It took me awhile to get my driver's license. I failed the road test 3-4 times. Keep practicing and don't give up! One of my friend's brother got his driver's license at age 26. Start with mastering the driving within Canada to East coast states and then work your way up to driving internationally.

Thank you guys for all your replies. You have all motivated me to do this. I have got my learners license back in August and i have had many classes so far and i am almost becoming very good at driving right now. I was wondering how many classes would be enough for me to pass my road test from my first attempt?

Big deal! I got my driving license at 23 because I had to commute to work. You can practice with your parents or friends in an empty field. I practiced with my father everyday for an hour for a few months. Don't over think it, just practice.

I might be a bad example but I needed dozens of lessons and confidence and also lessons where we simulated parts of the driving test. I passed on my third attempt -first time I failed in the parking lot, next day failed by one point, next week passed with a nearly perfect score. In my teen years I failed twice and gave up. Many people fail on their first attempt so I wouldn't put pressure to pass on the first attempt. Good luck!

That's quite alright. There are many people much older than 23 that have no driver's license. I'm much older than you and just getting ready to do a G exam now. I had trouble getting used to driving and ended up spending lots of money for failed exams. I have friends who are in a financial bind as well, so getting a license would be useless because buying a car was not an option. Don't forget it costs a lot for gas, car insurance, and car maintenance. Other than being able to travel around the city faster, a driver's license doesn't do anything else for you. Also, no one will know if you have license or not if you don't tell lol

You should work out your savings first and evaluate whether you would need a car in the near future. You need to do three exams: G1, G2, and G... you have to pay for each of them (and if you failed you have to pay again to take the test) As well, you need to take driving lessons which is charged per class by the instructor. Meaning if you have to pay for as many classes as you need until you feel 100% ready for the exams. I don't remember how much in total I've spent but for sure several hundreds-ish. Your future won't depend on whether you have a driver's license unless you want a driving kind of job.

So think about your priorities. I don't recommend spending that much money if all you want is to just have a license, especially if money can become an issue. Hope that gives you an idea what this driving license can entail. Those 18 year olds that got their licenses didn't have to pay for it themselves, so don't feel bad. You are being independent and it's amazing!

Archived