How do I turn my life around?

JDMxTeGrA101

Okay guys I got so much problems in life right now and need to turn it around. Heres my problems

-Debt (Have about 25k in credit card debt from bad life choices few years ago)

-No degree or savings or 401k (I used up all my 401k when I got fired at my old job)

-Living with my mom and im almost 30

-No social life (Most of my friends are already settled and only spend time with couples or couple events and some already are having kids). All the single ones are boring and all they want to do is go to the club or drink every week. (Bad influence)

Im working right now at a dead end job making about 600 a week and have the worst days off. My days off are Mondays/tuesdays and everyone is at work these days so I would only get to spend time with my mom who is off those days. Friends are at work so we would have dinner and that would sum up my night. Days off I would feel so unproductive even though I got to do my errands, clean my truck, my room, groceries etc..

Weekends I start at 4am and get off by 4pm and be too tired to go out with my friends and I would have no point to go out since I would have to be home early and sleep early since I get up at 3am.

I feel like crap everytime and wish I could go back in the past and studied harder to get into a university. I would've met more people that way and would be working a solid career job by now. I'll start this off by looking into going back to school. Any advice here?

Your priorities should be going back to school for any trade or degree that'll help you get a decent paying job upon graduation. It doesn't need to be a white collar job or even a 4 year degree.

Invest in a David Ramsey book to learn how to pay off your debt quicker. He promotes paying off the lowest bill first, then The 2nd lowest, etc, because of the snowball effect. Not the highest or the highest interest. This helped me tremendously when I had student loans to payoff. The snowball effect is real. He also recommends that every payday, you budget a certain amount of money until next payday for gas, groceries, fun. When you decide on a conservative amount, go take that amount out in cash and put it in a envelope. And there you have your spending money. Once that envelope is empty, that's it. If you don't have enough to buy the groceries in your cart, then you need to put stuff back, etc. If you have money left after the 2 weeks, maybe put it back in your savings is the wisest, but it's also ok to splurge on something.

I really like the money in the envelope idea. There are all kinds of ways to track your spending these days with technology, but the simplicity makes it a whole lot less confusing. A card makes it so much easier to overspend, even if it's debit.

However, I would be so worried about losing that envelope or getting mugged haha. Perhaps putting small change in your wallet, while leaving the rest at home in a safe place, is a good idea. This should be your miscellaneous spending money, after accounting for all your fixed monthly payments. Put the rest of that money away at the end of each month and do put it towards paying off the lowest loan. Leave the smaller interest loans alone if you can, given similar amount loans.

I would recommend if you go for college, go for the STEM majors (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) if you want more bank for your buck. They're highly relevant, a good return investment, and high in demand. Once you put yourself out there to staff agencies and land your first in field job, trust me you will be fending off recruiters for jobs they want you to take. Although, they are hard majors. I would be prepared to work diligently.

Apply for FAFSA (if eligible in your area) and talk to your college financial aid department. Look for any online scholarships and apply for a lot. It's a pain, but this is the combo that paid for all of my schooling, on top of a part time job.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived