I feel like I'm getting overly attached

mmendes

First of all, thanks for reading this. I've always found help when I needed in this forum.

So, let me begin the story.

I met this guy about 2 months ago in a dating app. We met in person really quick and we got along very well . Now I think I can say we're boyfriend/girlfriend.

Given that, we both know it's probably not gonna last forever: he wants to do a PHD abroad and I have to finish mine here before thinking about moving out the country. This is not a problem to me, since I never thought I'd meet my last man in my early twenties, but I do want to enjoy our time together until he goes.

The problem is that I'm starting to get paranoid about him.

For instance, if he does not text me "good morning" , or if he does not talk much to me during a day, I start to think he has forgotten me. Of course I don't tell him that, neither do I act pissed around him for those reasons, because I don't want him to think I'm an overly attached person. I don't want him to feel like he's obligated to text me all the time, because I wouldn't like someone doing this to me.

In fact, I'm used to be proud of being someone who loves freedom in relationships, but when I start to fall in love it's difficulty to handle my own "needyness". I get really afraid of being "ghosted out", maybe because that was how my previous bf used to "communicate" that he no longer desired to be so.

Part of me knows I'm just being crazy: yesterday he worked 'till late in the night because we spent the evening together (by his own choice, I said to him many times it was okay for him to go home if he wanted to get that work done), so the absence of a morning text shouldn't make me so worried. Another part of me also knows that if he wants to break up, he'll say that, not just disappear, because he really is someone who values good communication skills. But there's still this "broken" part of me that just lets bad thoughts runs wild

Does anyone have an advice on that?

I think this is how it is for many people in the honeymoon stage. Don't worry over it, as when the newness wears off, one has a tendency to calm down. Just try to enjoy the moments you have together and don't project to the future. If you decide to do long distance, you always have control on whether to remain in the relationship or to end it, according to relationship compatibility or lack of it.

I remember one lady I dated years ago......I would text her every morning......eventually it became a 'chore'.......not that my feelings for her had diminished in any way, but the lack of the text would make her feel like there was something wrong....there wasn't!

Now I rarely text, because any drop off in frequency or time to reply usually causes insecurity for no reason. I now go by the age-old motto: "start as you intend to go on".

I wouldn't read anything into it. Hope this helps.

Archived