Tips to relief anxiety

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have any tips for dealing or relieving the anxiety that we all feel after a breakup? How do you cope with that paralysis it brings?

We all have these fears, such as:

- He/she is never coming back

- I'll never find someone as good as him/her ever again

- They'll find somebody else

- Are they going to forget about me

- How will life ever get better after this

I believe these fears/anxious feelings are quite common for all of us, and I was wondering if you have any tips for actively dealing with these fears? I believe time will definitely numb them, but there must be a way to reduce them and make them all managable or even get rid of them.

Also feel free to add any of your fears to the list, knowing the fears of others might also give you insight in those 'hidden' feelings you just cannot seem to figure out.

I work 8 hours a day and that helps a lot in keeping my mind occupied. When I'm not at work, I lose myself in my hobbies such as playing videogames, reading comics and books, listening to music; with these, I'm sometimes able to stop the obsessive thinking about my situation and about her.

I'd like to say that I also like to hang out with friends, go to parties and things like that, but the truth is that I have very little tolerance for company right now. I just can't stand being with anyone (except just for 2-3 persons) and I'm sorry about that, because I feel like I'm severing ties with people.

You know, for a while now I've been trying all the cliche stuff people talk about.. Work out, hang out with friends, keep yourself busy, read books, etc. All of this good stuff helps with the healing process, but only to some extent. Unfortunately, the fear/anxiety hits you when you're all alone, in your bed, trying to fall asleep or you've just woken up and you're stuck with the negative talk in your head.

For two years, I struggled with the same fears and anxieties, despite going to the gym, having a wonderful social life & even casual dating. None of those things helped me get peace of mind. To address my inner chaos, I have started doing two things:

1) Only recently, as recent as couple of weeks, I've started meditation and sleep hypnosis (also a form of meditation). These put your brain in a really calm place through vivid imagination. Your brain gets a break from all the constant nagging and negative self-talk and helps you address your inner issues and tackle deep feelings.. it's quite refreshing.

2) I have started reading up, watching videos on and practicing the law of detachment. I can honestly say that it has changed my life and how I perceive things. I already knew about the law of attraction, but law of detachment has been an absolute game changer for me. Now I often start my mornings with speeches by Abraham Hicks on raising my vibrations, letting go.. and how the best things happen to you when you truly detach yourself from the outcome.

You can find tons and tons of videos on youtube by Abraham Hicks and for sleep hypnosis I like listening to Michael Sealey as his voice is very soothing. I have noticed a significant decrease in my anxiety and I also catch myself when i'm spiraling down the negative self-talk lane.

I genuinely hope these help you out as much as they have helped me.

I'd like to say that I also like to hang out with friends, go to parties and things like that, but the truth is that I have very little tolerance for company right now. I just can't stand being with anyone (except just for 2-3 persons) and I'm sorry about that, because I feel like I'm severing ties with people.

Sounds really familiar, one friend keeps putting songs on about 'love' or talking about girls. While my interest about all that stuff is not even zero, it is negative. So annoying at this point. But yeah, I am still alone a lot. But I am used to that, so that is fine.

1) Only recently, as recent as couple of weeks, I've started meditation and sleep hypnosis (also a form of meditation). These put your brain in a really calm place through vivid imagination. Your brain gets a break from all the constant nagging and negative self-talk and helps you address your inner issues and tackle deep feelings.. it's quite refreshing.

2) I have started reading up, watching videos on and practicing the law of detachment. I can honestly say that it has changed my life and how I perceive things. I already knew about the law of attraction, but law of detachment has been an absolute game changer for me. Now I often start my mornings with speeches by Abraham Hicks on raising my vibrations, letting go.. and how the best things happen to you when you truly detach yourself from the outcome.

You can find tons and tons of videos on youtube by Abraham Hicks and for sleep hypnosis I like listening to Michael Sealey as his voice is very soothing. I have noticed a significant decrease in my anxiety and I also catch myself when i'm spiraling down the negative self-talk lane.

Aye thanks! Also started mediation about two weeks ago, it did stop a bit as well. I am going to look into that law of detachment, the name kind of rings a bell.

And yeah weirdly enough I also found Michael Sealey, very nice voice. I used those meditations for a while to fall asleep. Really helped a lot.

Whenever I feel anxious I also try deep breathing techniques. You can find them online and it's basically breathing in through your nose and slowly releasing through the mouth. The breathing is taught in therapy to people w anxiety, PTSD, etc. finding a recording of a progressive relaxation can be helpful just like the meditations. Also check out progressive muscle relaxation

You know, for a while now I've been trying all the cliche stuff people talk about.. Work out, hang out with friends, keep yourself busy, read books, etc. All of this good stuff helps with the healing process, but only to some extent. Unfortunately, the fear/anxiety hits you when you're all alone, in your bed, trying to fall asleep or you've just woken up and you're stuck with the negative talk in your head.

For two years, I struggled with the same fears and anxieties, despite going to the gym, having a wonderful social life & even casual dating. None of those things helped me get peace of mind. To address my inner chaos, I have started doing two things:

I definitely agree with you on the inner chaos part. We are all here trying our best to move on by meeting new people, keeping ourselves busy but there will be a time where we will feel "down" and all those thoughts just come and bother you. That is when meditation and inspirational speeches can come in handy to help us to overcome these obstacles. I appreciate your suggestions.

Also, to chip in my suggestion, check out motivational speeches by 'Fearless Soul' on Youtube. Those have helped me a lot on my road to recovery. I hope it will help some of you out there.

Also definitely agree with that inner chaos part. I have learned meditation and it has helped me a lot.

Another way that I also was able to reduce anxiety for me was to remind myself that all these thoughts were my own and through breathing I could reduce a lot of them. Similarly if needed I would remove myself physically from the source of anxiety. And start walking a bit, sometimes even went outside the house and walked around till I felt better.

My main point with this thread is to gather people's methods for reducing anxiety. Personal stories of success, methods and how they learned them. So other people can learn something from them. As I said, during this period we have a lot of stress and anxiety, therefore we need to get our ways to deal with them.

From my experience, lifting weights and doing cardio will do amazing things for your life.

If you don't know what you're doing in the gym/never worked out for sports, please consider using a professional trainer. It isn't cheap but it is an investment in yourself, your progress in healing, your progress in growth after a traumatic experience.

You'll find that you sleep more soundly at night, which was the worst time for me when I was in the deepest parts of my depression after my breakup.

Archived