My cat died unexpectidly... I cannot stop crying.. That was like my little baby...

Anzhela

When I am upset, I always come to this site to read some stories people write... I am in deep grief.. cannot stop crying... my baby, my Dexter, my kitty died yesterday night.

I have always been dreaming having a white Persian kitten. We could not spend much money on buying a Persian kitten for me and my husband joined through facebook to Persian cat rescue group. One day, he got a notification my little baby was looking for a home. He was a boy, 4 years old, Persian and white. He immediately filled in the application. Long story short, we drove 3-4 hours to get him. The minute I saw him, I fell in love... it was my dream cat... On the way home, I was thinking how to name him.. I do not know why, but I decided to give him Dexter as his name (that was from the movie). This name actually fit him a lot later I was always saying as he gave me pretty deep scratches and scars on my arm (it is on my arm and will always remind me of my baby), he would hit me (with claws) many times when I would lean towards him to kiss, but I was earning his trust... A year after he started to trust me and never again he did that.. He became MY cat, the cat I deeply loved, he was like my little baby... He was sleeping next to me. I would be working at my desk and my baby would come to me mewing, I would turn and say "What Dexy. I need to make money to buy you Sheba", he would start working away and making sure I was following him. He would"bring me" to the closet where his "Sheba" was and stop in front of the door and mew... When I would lean towards him to kiss his pretty nose, he would rub his whole face over my face... My husband sometimes told me I loved that cat more than I loved him... My Dexter was making me happy... truly happy... that cat could not do wrong in my eyes... now I don't have my baby...

Four days ago he started to have diarrhea and throwing up... I thought he might had worms (this happened a year ago and I gave him worm pill, I was right as a very long worm came out hours after...). I started to give him boiled water and twice a day I was giving him Sheba, which he loved a lot... he still, always had dry food in his bowl all the time... Any way, as I said, i thought same happened this time. I did the same, but nothing this time, I gave him ibuprofen.. he felt a little better... next day, yesterday, he did not eat the hole day, I thought he had a pain and gave ibuprofen again, then anti diarrhea med (for cats). My baby was just drinking food and no food the whole day. At around 2pm, I saw it was serious and my husband made an appointment with vet... They did blood work and found problems with his kidneys... They gave some injection (as food) and we were supposed to come On Monday to give him another injection.... He died at night between 10-11.. on my chest..in pain... ding long... I was hearing his last breaths, feeling his pain... I no longer have my baby.... His body is in my bedroom now, I am waiting for my husband to come home, he wanted to berry him with me... I was there already 10-20 times, petting him and hugging and talking to my baby ..... My Dexter... I Love you....

I am not a vet.. I gave half a pill.. Vet said nothing bad about that... I just wanted to relief him from pain... and it did help... Had I known my cat would die in pain, I would have given a pill to relief him from it... but wet said not to give anything...

Sorry, I'm trying to put it delicately and believe me, if it weren't for your loss, I wouldn't be. But don't take it upon yourself to medicate your cat with worm meds and human NSAIDs (ibuprofen in particular can be extremely toxic to cats). I know you meant well and far be it from me to claim he wasn't going to unfortunately pass either way, but for the sake of your potential future pets (the only reason I'm posting this... I've got a big soft spot for animals and kids), please at least Google.

I truly am sorry for your loss. I lost my childhood cat, Napoleon, after 18 years. It was devastating but it does get better.

I understand you... Thank you.

My Dexter was thrown out to the street... He was found in the street, no wonder, I had to gain his trust... He had hart murmur... Looks like also kidney problems... My husband says that could be the reason why Dexter was kicked out...

I have another 3... My Sonia, domestic short hair, was the first adopted cat, then Fatso, 3 weeks ago I adopted mix of main coon with domestic short hair... but to be honest, I dont have such deep feelling towards these cats.... They are not like my Dexter... Sonia is a FU cat... not sociable at all, Fatso is a very old cat (I adopted him old) just wanted to give him a good home and all he does begs for wet food. The new one is very annoying... He is a kitten, runs around like crazy (bull in a China shop) and begs for wet food all the time.... My Dexter was different... He was showing love, he was by my side, he was MY cat...

First of all, I'm so very sorry at the loss of your precious cat.

I read your other thread. Is your husband's epileptic brother still living with you? You are a green card holder, no? Have you made any friends here in the U.S., anyone you can talk to about your situation?

It sounds like perhaps your husband brought you over here to be his brother's caretaker, and perhaps this cat was the only thing that gave you comfort and peace, and now that that is gone, the heartbreak is tremendous. It also sounds like you are living in very meager conditions, in an office space, taking abuse from your husband's brother, with little income.

Have you thought about returning to your home country?

I'm only bringing up your prior thread because I'm wondering if the love for your cat has been magnified by your conditions, and thus the loss of your cat is magnified too.

In any event, I'm terribly sorry.

Everything is different now... We could save enough for a house and we were approved for a mortgage (our broker was just great, she was doing her best for us) and now we are living in a different city, just houses here are more realistically priced.. We are in a new home for about 4 months. We moved his brother with us, he was about 2 months with us in the new home and now his brother lives in a long term care. My husband did impossible.. He just found what was impossible to find there. where we had lived... Even his brother likes his new place. He is well taken care of (given meds on time, food, bed and all he needs) and we visit him...

My husband had no choice but to take his brother, he was just "shipped" to us by his mother... so I cannot say this was planned... I just was fed up with all what was going on, his attitude, as if everybody owns him, lies... and all what you read in my previous post... plus the place we lived in..... My husband found a job about a month ago, he works full time but still is keeping his business after work (a little extra money)... I am still doing what I was doing before....

As for my Dexter... you are right, he was worming my soul while I was living that life, he was making me happy.. I would be crying at my desk and Dexter would be sitting next to my keyboard, or rubbing his body over my head or face... This cat was all my happiness to be honest...

I have another 3... My Sonia, domestic short hair, was the first adopted cat, then Fatso, 3 weeks ago I adopted mix of main coon with domestic short hair... but to be honest, I dont have such deep feelling towards these cats.... They are not like my Dexter... Sonia is a FU cat... not sociable at all, Fatso is a very old cat (I adopted him old) just wanted to give him a good home and all he does begs for wet food. The new one is very annoying... He is a kitten, runs around like crazy (bull in a China shop) and begs for wet food all the time.... My Dexter was different... He was showing love, he was by my side, he was MY cat...

Hey I had a cat named Fatso too! She just passed away last month from hyperthyroidism but she was very old. When I first got her she was extremely fat but ironically she passed away from being too skinny.

I know it hurts so much. Especially an unexpected death. I lost a 4 year old cat last year when she was hit by a car. It was devastating and very difficult to process. My recent loss was a bit easier as she was an older cat that was pretty ill so I was expecting it more.

Only time makes it better. You did what you could and he had a nice life because of you. It will take a few weeks to process the shock.

Sorry, did not answer all your questions...

I am still a card holder. I made only one friend, but she was at my previous location... Now we moved, so I have nobody here.... but we do call each other (my friend from previous location).

Do you get out and socialize much? Go to the gym, the park, anywhere you might meet other females? I do think it would help. Perhaps google others in your situation: foreigners who are newer to the U.S.?

I think that you sound like a lovely person, and I bet that having female friends would go far in your healing.

No, I am alone all day. I do things around the house, do some things in our backyard sometimes. Cook and take care of the animals. To be honest, I am unsociable person. Probably this is the reason why i am on this site. Nobody knows me, I am just one of many, who is looking for advise, being listened by other people or just looking for support maybe... but i do go out to do some food shopping once a week (I got my driver's licence finally). I think, my husband would not like if I was having fun while he is at work and when he is home he is still working. It is just not fair..

I am so sorry for your loss xxxxx hugs to you my darling

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...

I am so sorry for the loss of your little one.

When my dog died I was so heartbroken I had to move out of my apartment; I couldn't bear to live there anymore.

I can very much empathize with your sorrow.

Something that helped me a little bit was thinking of creative ways to honor his spirit. I had him cremated and sealed some of his ashes in a beautiful engraved pendant that I wear around my neck so he's always with me. Of course, not saying that you have to do that (I know you're planning to bury him), but maybe when you're ready you can think of other little ways to honor Dexter's spirit. Maybe have a portrait painted and framed, or write a poem, or put together a little scrapbook of special memories. Or clip a tiny bit of his hair and put it in a locket. Anything that is unique and meaningful to you.

The only thing that really helps is time. My dog passed away in 2014 and I still choke up a bit when I talk about him.

I hope you are able to find some comfort in the fact that you were a wonderful, loving companion to Dexter, and that his quality of life was immense because of you.

Big hugs ~

I am a former Captain in the US Army Combat Arms. A real tough guy. I lost my cat "Buttons" last year. When the veterinarian told me that the humane thing to do was to put her to sleep I asked a lot of questions and it was apparent to me that Buttons' suffering must end now. He gave her the first of two shots and my kitty seemed very relaxed and happy. The second shot was given and...well...suffice to say I walked outside the vet's office and cried. Not a sniffle kind of choking up, but an, "I don't care who see's me" wailing full-blown head in my hands, tearful, agonizing break down... and I was crying out, "My baby! Oh, my baby! What am I going to do without my baby?" I am tearful as I type this, but it does get less painful as time goes by. I feel I understand how upset you are about the loss of your beloved Dexter...when the time comes for our babies to go to kitty heaven, I can't help but feel our much loved kitties would love to see us being as happy as we can as they wait for us at their cat food bowl and things can be like they used to...only without all the frailties of life on Earth. I pray for the Lord to remove your sorrow. I almost couldn't handle my baby passing on, but I did. You will get through this and will surely see your baby again.

Note: My views expressed here are just that...MY views. I am not telling anyone how to handle the loss of a beloved pet...just what works for me. There is no intent on my part to proselytize for any religious organization or to definitively dictate exactly what happens at the time of any being's passing.

I am a former Captain in the US Army Combat Arms. A real tough guy. I lost my cat "Buttons" last year. When the veterinarian told me that the humane thing to do was to put her to sleep I asked a lot of questions and it was apparent to me that Buttons' suffering must end now. He gave her the first of two shots and my kitty seemed very relaxed and happy. The second shot was given and...well...suffice to say I walked outside the vet's office and cried. Not a sniffle kind of choking up, but an, "I don't care who see's me" wailing full-blown head in my hands, tearful, agonizing break down... and I was crying out, "My baby! Oh, my baby! What am I going to do without my baby?" I am tearful as I type this, but it does get less painful as time goes by. I feel I understand how upset you are about the loss of your beloved Dexter...when the time comes for our babies to go to kitty heaven, I can't help but feel our much loved kitties would love to see us being as happy as we can as they wait for us at their cat food bowl and things can be like they used to...only without all the frailties of life on Earth. I pray for the Lord to remove your sorrow. I almost couldn't handle my baby passing on, but I did. You will get through this and will surely see your baby again.

Note: My views expressed here are just that...MY views. I am not telling anyone how to handle the loss of a beloved pet...just what works for me. There is no intent on my part to proselytize for any religious organization or to definitively dictate exactly what happens at the time of any being's passing.

Infantry vet myself. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to be with Napoleon when he was put to sleep. He had a couple close calls before and I told my mother to tell me if he looked bad again and I'd fly out to be there should the deed need to be done. Looking back, maybe it would have been a bit crazy paying $700 for a same-day plane ticket, but he was 18 and I'd had him since I was a kid. Loved the little guy so much.

My mom called me and broke the news. Said the veterinarian told her he was in a lot of pain and she immediately agreed he should be put down. I'm glad she didn't wait for me as I'd rather he didn't suffer another minute. My now fiancee was fortunately right next to me and I just started full-on bawling, snot dripping and everything. I experienced a lot of **** in the Army, but your brain's in a mode to at least to some extent be desensitized. I think this was the first time I'd relaxed and sober been hit with a big loss. First and only time my lady has seen me cry in the 3.5 years we've been together.

Honestly, I have pretty much completely gotten over him passing on. But of course if I could have him back, I would in a heartbeat. Last year I ended up getting a kitten from the ASPCA... barely 4 weeks old, tiny, tiny little thing. It's going to be a dark, dark day when I have to say goodbye to her after watching her grow from an actual baby kitten to (hopefully) a spoiled old cat.

it's absolutely expected to be so emotional about it, and it can take a while to settle.

i couldn't stop crying for weeks, and took a full six months to fully get over it. i dread the day my senior dog goes. i'm lifting because i don't want him to walk to the table like a sheep to slaughter- he goes in my arms, as my humans did.

give yourself time and freedom to feel whatever you feel is all i can say, and remember you and the furball gave one another a priceless companionship.

i'm terribly sorry for your loss. when my cat died, my loved ones thought my reaction was excessive for "only" losing a pet. thankfully, i was surrounded with fervent pet lovers who allowed and assured me it's okay to feel it as a colossal loss.

i echo the suggestion to get involved socially so you can get out of the house some, as the isolation must have intensified your bond with the furry, and your grief likewise.

keep posting all you need to.

hugs.

I want to thank everyone for your sympathies. It is very hard to loose the ones we truly love...

I have some videos of my Dexter on my phone and his picture is on my phone's screen... and each time I pick it up (phone) I kiss the screen, telling how much I miss him. I have my Dexter berried in my yard, I go every morning to tell good morning to my baby, I tell how much I miss him...

Archived