Should I quit my full time job to work part time?

Xiomn

Should I quit my full time job to work part time?

At the moment I work 40 hours a week with sporadic days off, rarely

2 days off in a row. Most days I work 7:30am to 6pm with the occasional late start so it totals 40 hours.

I'm sick of coming home at around 6:30pm and going to bed within 4 hours of getting home at the most, even less time for myself if I want to get a solid 8 hours sleep leaving me with 3.5 hours to myself.

I'm 22 and I feel like time is more valuable to me in my life right now than money and I feel with a part time job I can improve on my work/life balance making me happier overall.

I currently have around £6000 in savings (UK) My total outgoings excluding food are £250 a month on rent (all bills inclusive) and food I could adjust to accommodate the less income I would be getting.

Take one example of me getting a part time job of let's say 16 hours a week, even less than half what I'm working now but let's roll with it for now;

On minimum wage of £7.05 per hour I'd be earning £489 a month minus rent of £250 leaves me with just over £200 a month for food and anything else I want to buy (I don't buy much apart from food and alcohol). Any more hours up to 20 hours would be an improvement.

Thoughts?

Keep your full time gig. Adjust your expectations. Your time now is the least valuable it ever will be. Adult life is much as you describe - come home, cook, eat, clean up, visit with housemates (who may be family), prepare for tomorrow, go to bed.

Consider if you would prefer a more challenging job, so that your time spent there would be more satisfying.

XIOM.

I understand completely where you are coming from. I note you are in the UK.

Are you perhaps considering going back to further education when you are working a shorter day?

You are so right. Time is valuable, always. Besides we don't even know if we will be here next week, next month or whenever.

Also, you may even be presented with opportunities in the course of a part-time job that you might not encounter during a punishing 40 hour schedule. Do you also work week-ends at present?

We are supposed to live; not just "exist".

I would do full time if you want to have a career/profession later in life because potential employers will want to know why you only worked part time (and then you usually can't get health benefits etc). I'd work on making better use of your free time - I worked more than full time (far more than 40 hours a week) for most of my 20s - either a more than full time job (way over 40 hours/week) or grad school plus part time job. 3.5 hours a day during the week of free time sounds ok - that's half a day almost. What would you do with 7 hours a day to yourself? Are you interested in volunteering? Learning a new skill? Taking classes?

I do think it's good to try to get 8 hours of sleep a night especially at your age. Are your peers working full or part time and/or going to grad school or college?

Because I worked so many hours in my 20s/30s, in my 40s when I had my child I had the option of being a full-time mom and contributing from my savings to the family income as needed. It was awesome to have that option. And awesome to be able to be selective on what job I took when I went back to work because finances weren't a huge factor.

Archived