What to talk about on a date with someone I already know

amazingcuzitis

I haven't been on a lot of dates with people I already know... usually it's with someone from an app or someone I've been set up with... but this time it's with a guy I've known for years. We aren't close by any means; I'd say we're like on the border of acquaintances and friends. I'm not a very outgoing person and small talk makes me want to die, so I'm not really sure how to go about this. I don't know him well enough to spend more than 30 minutes catching up, and I don't want to make him uncomfortable or make him feel like I don't want to be on this date, because I do.

I would love some tips from fellow awkward people

It's worrying about this kind of thing that will make you more nervous. Just go with the flow. If you like deeper conversations, look for a topic that may interest the both of you and delve into it. And don't forget to make it about him some of the time.

Let him take the lead at the beginning, and go with the flow. Have some safe topic questions in case the conversation dies, like: Do you have any pets? Do you have any siblings? What do you like best about your job? Have fun and don't project to the future. Just concentrate on enjoying the moment.

Ask him about himself but also tell him about yourself. Don't try to deflect all the attention onto only him. If he says something like "that's my favourite colour, or that's my favourite band, quickly get in there and tell him your favourite colour and your favourite band and have that back and fro conversation flowing. Guys like easy going girls and the conversation does not have to be particular fascinating, but just good enough to secure a second date. Once your on date 4 you'll be on a roll.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived