I think I made a huge mistake at work today : (, is my job in danger?

So it was my birthday yesterday and I took half a day off. My boss is currently in France for 2 weeks and I'm the office manager so I basically run things and make decisions about everything . Well he's 7 hours a head right now. So he emailed me about 4 pm my time to wish me happy birthday. It was awesome and he reminded me about a check that needs to go out tomorrow. (Today) he left 4 blank signed checks ( so I thought). I told the accounting girl where the checks were. She picked up the stack of signed checks and put them in the printer. Well it turns out that one of them wasn't signed and that was the most important one. I reminded the accountant that we had to get that check out today. She basically just threw the unsigned check at me. I ended up signing it forging it because it had to be out today. Did I screw up ?

It really depends on how strict your manager is, if I did that my manager would be like crap happens. Worst thing I imagine is the payable is rejected, it's very likely they won't notice a thing, they are more concerned about who it's written out to and the total amount spelled out.

Did your manager know you would take a half day? If not, I think that's your biggest offense (ie, taking time off just because your boss is gone and hoping you don't get caught).

Yes you do have a point there. I probably should have stayed at the office that day in hindsight.

So it was my birthday yesterday and I took half a day off. My boss is currently in France for 2 weeks and I'm the office manager so I basically run things and make decisions about everything . Well he's 7 hours a head right now. So he emailed me about 4 pm my time to wish me happy birthday. It was awesome and he reminded me about a check that needs to go out tomorrow. (Today) he left 4 blank signed checks ( so I thought). I told the accounting girl where the checks were. She picked up the stack of signed checks and put them in the printer. Well it turns out that one of them wasn't signed and that was the most important one. I reminded the accountant that we had to get that check out today. She basically just threw the unsigned check at me. I ended up signing it forging it because it had to be out today. Did I screw up ?

Forging someone's name is a serious offense. I would have contacted him and told him the check was not signed. If he is the only one to sign it, you should have waited for further instructions - ie, him smoothing it over with the person who was getting the late check or coming up with a plan B.

Forging someone's name is a serious offense. I would have contacted him and told him the check was not signed. If he is the only one to sign it, you should have waited for further instructions - ie, him smoothing it over with the person who was getting the late check or coming up with a plan B.

Yes, I think you are right. BUT He has had me forge his signature before on items involving higher amounts.

Yes, I think you are right. BUT He has had me forge his signature before on items involving higher amounts.

Then you need to stop doing it. You need to tell them you won't forge his name in the future and make another arrangement of having a stamp of his signature that is approved with the bank (i get paychecks with a stamped signature), or have him have an authorized signer, like the accountant. I wouldn't mess with that.

Yeah and he made me forge his signature on a change order before and he always forges his wife's signature. He also lets me use my company credit card on things so I'm sure he trusts me.

Why didn't you just contact him and ask him if it would be okay to sign for him? If he really trusts you then I'm surprised he doesn't have a stamp of his signature made and you could use it when you needed it or he could have it under lock and key and leave it with you when he was out of town. I worked for someone who allowed me to "sign" cheques in that manner when needed.. A carbon copy of who the cheque went to was always left on his desk.

Its actually weird that he didn't sign the very cheque he contacted you about to let you know it was important that it went out that day.

I just emailed my boss and told him what happened. Awaiting response now....
Good luck... hope he is nothing but grateful.

You signed it for the company not for yourself, and besides, your boss screwed up and didn't sign one of the checks. It would have been better to have texted him to tell him he didn't sign one and you were signing it for him. You might even ask if you can have signing privileges in the future. But I would say that I've been caught about half the time I took off early for work or left and came back later when I wasn't suppose to. I stopped doing that because I didn't want to lose my job.

I have to "forge" my boss's signature from time to time (I'm an Executive Assistant). He trusts me, and I always document when I do it. Take a photo, make a copy, write notes on a copy of the document I'm "forging" and usually do it with two co-workers watching (by my request). I always tell him when I do it, either by email or verbal....since I am truly only doing it when I know he is o.k. with it. I am also fine with leaving an electronic trail, but, in my case, I don't sign checks. If that were the case I would still definitely tell him (and do the other steps above) but I wouldn't necessarily want to leave an electronic trail so I'd discuss with him face to face.

I agree with those that posted above that it would be a good idea to get an official signature "stamp" and also an electronic signature (for PDF's, etc.) and always document (make a copy) and makes notes about why you are "forging" a check/document. I really think your job is fine, just definitely tell your boss what happened.

Archived