I can't love in public without fear

Every time I go out with my girlfriend I want to kiss her and love her but we both feel scared because since we're both girls and some places we go are more on the conservative side and people get beaten up because their gay or etc. and we're only 13 and people already stare when we hold hands which drives us crazy and I want to love her more in public and what about the future like when we're in our 20's and we still can't kiss in public. I mean you see straight people kissing and hugging or loving each other like that in public and no one cares they just look away and pretended their not there and it drives me crazy.

Where do you live?

I know tons of gay women in their 20s who don't get a second glance for making out in public. I think straight 13 year old couples would probably get a hard side eye from a lot of folks. When you get older you can move to a place that is more open to gay people.

Yeah, it's horribly unfair. Unfortunately, LGBT people just don't have all the luxuries straight people take for granted.

You're only 13, so you're still minors who have to live with parents or guardians and are stuck wherever they live. And you know your location far better than I do, so you may have to use your judgment on places to avoid and what you need to do to stay safe. Good news is that when you are in your 20s and older, you'll most likely have a lot more freedom to go to places where public same-sex affection is more normal and accepted. Remember that you're not alone in this, and you won't be stuck like this forever.

IMO, the staring isn't as much because you're gay but because you're 13. I would stare at anyone that young (because, to be frank, PDA at that age is super weird to me). In fact, PDA beyond hand holding/hugs/lite kisses is weird to me. I don't want to see anyone making out on the street.

Archived