Trying to reciprocate feelings - SOS

I've been casually seeing a man for just over 2 months now. We were friends for over 2 years, until after I broke up with my long term boyfriend where we soon after became friends with benefits / no-strings-attached. I found out that he had liked me while I was in prior relationship and really suppprted me through the break up and abuse etc. Since other people found out about our situation I have been approached several times by various mutual friends and informed that he wants more and has feelings for me. I'm also in a place where I do want more too and also have feelings, but we're both not the best with feelings and communicating them so we're in a bit of a situation. I understand it must be easier really given we know the probable outcome if we both feel the same, but I'm not sure how to speak to him or bring it up so we can discusss things? He is normally very guarded of his feelings and tells me more than others, but this is different as it pertains to me. He can also be rather flaky, which his best friend has told me is simply him trying not to get further attached while he doesn't know where we are. But his flakiness with plans is also something that I think should be discussed. Basically I was wondering if anyone could be kind enough to give me advice on how to speak to him or what might be important to say? Thank you in advance!

GG.

I have been approached several times by various mutual friends and informed that he wants more and has feelings for me.

First of all it is not a good idea to have go-betweens carrying messages. And then how come he can communicate his feelings to these friends and not to you?

You also remark:

"He can also be rather flaky, which his best friend has told me is simply him trying not to get further attached while he doesn't know where we are."

Once again here we have a friend being the "messenger".

He cannot mindread and neither can you. So you will have to discuss the matter with him if you wish to have a relationship with this man.

"He is normally very guarded of his feelings "

and you say you are not good either communicating your feelings.

I am a believer in the direct approach, being honest, while also being kindly.

One thing you do NOT say in this discussion is: "You know John/Jill/Jane/Mike (friends) were telling me you want more as regards a relationship with me". Keep the messengers out of it.

Archived