What's the considerate thing to do?

FleurDeLys

I'm not sure if this is the right thread and I will apologise in advance if it is not but I need advice on a situation.

I'm having to move out of my appartment and move back to my country on very short notice due to being fired without notice nor legit reasons by bosses who exploited me at an internship I was doing for my studies, and on top of it, refused to pay my last week of work, which was quite a lot of money, while I'm having to a 400$ repair bill for my laptop which fried couple of days ago, and since the place I worked at had a Bring Your Own Device policy and really needed a functioning laptop for my work (they would not lend me one or anything). My internship was supposed to last until September, but I don't see myself staying now that it's been unexpectedly and that I'm going to be running out of money, especially since the company at which I did a summer job last year offered me a contract for August.

So my question is regarding my roommates and would be the considerate thing to do since I'm leaving on such short notice. I was very upfront with them, I told them I was fired and that I was planning on leaving the country the next week as I think it was too risky - financially - for me to stay here as it's not easy to find a job at this time of year here and since life here is very expensive. I'm currently helping to find someone to replace me, I have two inspections planned so far and I told them they could keep the bond, which is equivalent of two weeks rent.

Does that seem fair? (I'm not lease also and there was no verbal agreement either between us regarding notice). I feel like two weeks rent is not a lot, but at the same time, I'm now really tight on money with this work situation, I would have to ask my family for help to pay an additional week of rent.

If your internship was supposed to last through September, what did you have lined up in October when you were finished? If you had a plan after that, why not just explain to your landlord that you lost your job but have something new starting in October and could they work with you? if you had a plan after September, you should wait tables or do any job you can get until you find something else.

I think it is rude to just up and leave. You need to give them thirty days notice at least. Also, there is no way you can find another job? What about the job you have in August? Or did i misunderstand that you have no August contract?

If your internship was supposed to last through September, what did you have lined up in October when you were finished? If you had a plan after that, why not just explain to your landlord that you lost your job but have something new starting in October and could they work with you? if you had a plan after September, you should wait tables or do any job you can get until you find something else.

I think it is rude to just up and leave. You need to give them thirty days notice at least. Also, there is no way you can find another job? What about the job you have in August? Or did i misunderstand that you have no August contract?

The thing is that I'm overseas and I'm on a visa that allows me to work but only for the period of my internship (until the end of September) and employers here are usually not keen on hiring someone for a month, most of them will ask to see your visa or ask how long you plan on staying, hence why I think it's better for me to fly back home. After September, I was supposed to go back to my homecountry and uni. The job I have for August is in my home country.

Archived