He won't give up our friendship despite our mutual feelings

BellaBroom

Before I start, I will mention there are circumstances stopping us being together. We met at school. He liked me, I never reciprocated. I was actually quite mean in rejecting him. He moved away and we lost contact. Seven years later, he adds me on Facebook. I removed him. Present day he adds me again. We get chatting about past relationships, memories shared, everything. We have good chemistry. We meet up a few times. We hug and kiss on the cheek, playfully flirt. He openly comforts me in public. We've been talking online daily for a month, both of us initiating contact just to say hi. Sometimes for hours. He is protective of me when guys treat me poorly.

Since we are close friends (his words) he discusses the trials and tribulations of dating. We never actually discussed any feelings for each other however at times it seemed he'd hint at it (e. g. "you work it out" i question suggestive behavior) I was clueless. Then things suddenly changed. I realized I like him more. I tried to end our friendship because I didn't want the heartbreak of him being with someone else. So I told him.

He refused to let our friendship go. He said I'm an "amazing girl" and his close friends. He can't let me cut contact because of my feelings. He took it incredibly well. He told me not to be embarrassed he values me as a person. He then said he feels the same way, "not as strongly" but it's there. He knows we can't be together. He acknowledged this happens and he doesn't want to lose my friendship because of it. I said things will be awkward. He said if I let it be. I'm confused. I fought to let go, he fought to stay friends. He even said he'd give up a relationship if it jeopardized our friendship.

I just don't understand why he'd be so okay with it all, as in we still be close friends despite our feelings? Am I missing something? I just don't understand why he'd downplay his feelings compared to mine? Is it even possible to like someone only a bit?

Archived