My job scheduled me while I'm in outpatient therapy

My medication hasn't been right for a few months now. About a week ago my doctor recommended I go to the psychiatric hospital to get my mental health problems treated (I was suicidal on a daily basis). I wound up in their partial hospitalization program and go Monday through Friday for group therapy. I told my scheduling person that I'd be out for at least 10 days because my doctor had me admitted to the hospital and I still got scheduled to work. Am I in danger of losing my job if I'm scheduled all week and can't make it?

How are you paying for the hospital, do you have health insurance through work? Depends on what kind of job you have and your seniorority. I once broke my ankle and had to miss a week of work because of surgery. My boss was totally fine with it.

How are you paying for the hospital, do you have health insurance through work? Depends on what kind of job you have and your seniorority. I once broke my ankle and had to miss a week of work because of surgery. My boss was totally fine with it.[/quote

I have health insurance through work

Get a note from your doctor that you are required to attend medical care from x-y. The doctor won't disclose what for, only that it's required and submit that to your scheduling person. Also, submit to your HR just to cover yourself. It might be as simple as you might have talked and they simply forgot. Either way, document your medical need and be sure to remind the scheduling person about it. Basically remind and document and send it all via e-mails and keep copies and that will cover you.

Missing 10 days for health isn't just something you just send scheduling a casual email about. Chances are there are protocols you need to follow, including providing medical documentation and applying for medical leave. As DF suggests, speak to HR about the proper channels and procedures you need to go through in order to formally be granted leave for your out-patient therapy. I'm glad you've taken the steps to get the help you need. Best of luck with your recovery. Let us know how it all goes.

At my job, you can't just email or bring in a doctor's note. You have to see HR and file the proper paperwork that the company provides.

We are allowed to set up a leave of absence, but if we don't provide proper documentation the leave is not approved.

I'd call HR and find out what the proper procedure is and follow that. If you do that you should have no problem at all.

Archived