LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Thread: I started writing a book

Platinum Member

I started writing a book

I started writing a book about 3 years ago. That was before I had met my husband. Now that I am with him, I don't have the same desire to write as I did when I was all alone. I hope that in the end is a good thing but now I am all out of material that I am happy. hmmm. Is that a bad sign, does that mean I have a bad marriage if I have no desire to be creative anymore?

Thanks, for all the responses!!

Have you always been a writer, Vesper, or were you only writing when you were single and alone?

I first starting writing when I was a depressed teenager and it helped to express what was going on inside and while it didn't stop when I got into relationships, it changed. I began writing more creatively in relationships and less melodramatic stuff. Has your writing simply been a means to expres your feelings, and now that you have a husband you don't need to anymore?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Keyman
    Have you always been a writer, Vesper, or were you only writing when you were single and alone?

I first starting writing when I was a depressed teenager and it helped to express what was going on inside and while it didn't stop when I got into relationships, it changed. I began writing more creatively in relationships and less melodramatic stuff. Has your writing simply been a means to expres your feelings, and now that you have a husband you don't need to anymore?
    I have always been a writer, I used to write in journals when I was in college and after college I would write to express my angst at failed relationships. I guess I also used to write with a pencil in a journal instead of typing on a computer. I don't own my own computer so maybe if I get my own computer I will write again. Thanks Keyman.

Originally Posted by vesper
    I have always been a writer, I used to write in journals when I was in college and after college I would write to express my angst at failed relationships. I guess I also used to write with a pencil in a journal instead of typing on a computer. I don't own my own computer so maybe if I get my own computer I will write again. Thanks Keyman.
    Does this not suggest that since you are not in angst in your relationship there is not a need to epress yourself in this way? What was the book you were writing about?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Keyman
    Does this not suggest that since you are not in angst in your relationship there is not a need to epress yourself in this way? What was the book you were writing about?

Yeah, it was an Autobiography. I wrote about 40 pages in Microsoft Word.

Well, it seems to be that you are happy and there is no need to express your angsty side. I think your writing back then was a means to feel something. Now you don't need that, youa re in a good marriage, are happy and life is good.

However, should you suddenly start writing again in the same angst ridden way, that would suggest that something is wrong and you are needing an outlet.

Gold Member
    I feel the same way, my most creative and productive time was after break ups, and while in relationships, despite of the fact
    that they were good, I was not as inspired to write.
    My assumption is that the strongest inspiration comes in painful times, and when
    times are good, we kinda need to force ourselves to write- its harder but still possible...its
    much easier when you are hurting and inspiration is right there.
    cheers.

Give Advice
Ask For Advice