Anyone here have experience with Section 8 housing in the U.S?

I have a family member, mother, who will need my assistance finding a home and I am looking towards section 8 housing, which is basically a range of government funded housing. As a family we don't have many other options so please understand that. I'd like to know any technical, governmental, or big picture details that would allow this process to go as smoothly as possible. I am now researching how it works in the state where she lives.

For example, she owns a home but can no longer afford to live there because she can not keep consistent employment. Will the fact that she owns a home but has no income impact her ability to get Section 8 housing? She rents the home out now WHICH allows her to have a limited monthly income. The yearly amount is 100% poverty range. Additionally she is nearing U.S. retirement age for social security and she has some 401k savings that are intended to help her survive as she goes on with her life. She has very little savings. It's become clear to me that she'll probably survive off her savings for several years but will then need financial help again.

So yes, any perspective on Section 8 housing would be appreciated.

I highly doubt she'll be given allowances while owning a home herself.

Personally, I was raised around Section 8 housing in the Chicago area, and I'd sooner give up my bed and sleep on a fold out couch before I let my mother live in the vast majority of the buildings that accept it.

In any case, it's a very subjective and lengthy process. Here in NYC, the waiting list is incredible. If she's looking for the opportunity, it's ultimately best for her to start a conversation with her state / city's housing authority sooner than later.

My wife and I can't really afford to support her with our small apartment and she's not pleasant to be around. Additionally Section 8 housing is partly a choice on my mother's part because she doesn't want to work and she doesn't want job training either...

Additionally, she's already living with us in our small apartment and will be living with us for another year or so.

But thanks for letting me know about the owning a house issue.

I have personally had a Section 8 voucher. I was disabled from a very early age, and my health workers helped me to get SSI benefits. I was living on a fixed income with up to $2,000 savings; otherwise, my benefits would go away. From what I understand, she can have a savings but a low income, but you'd have to double-check about that with hud.gov. The Section 8 voucher requires the recipient to pay only 1/3 of the income, and the rest can go to utilities, groceries, etc. in my city, the lottery rarely ever opens these days, but years ago when I got it, it was a few years' waiting list. Check with Section 8 in your city and see about the waiting list/lottery system. Other options for subsidized housing are low-income apartments, which also take 1/3 of the income, but the waiting list is shorter, and she'll have more of a chance to get a spot. Good luck. Living below the poverty line needs charity even to make it possible. One must live simply, take advantage of charity and government programs, like food stamps, or food banks. I'm not a snob that way, and I'm sure you're not, either. Sometimes it takes humility to live in poverty!

My wife and I can't really afford to support her with our small apartment and she's not pleasant to be around. Additionally Section 8 housing is partly a choice on my mother's part because she doesn't want to work and she doesn't want job training either...

Additionally, she's already living with us in our small apartment and will be living with us for another year or so.

But thanks for letting me know about the owning a house issue.

Can you live in her home and pay her rent instead of paying for the apartment? Can you sell her home and buy a duplex so that you rent one and she stays in the other?

The duplex idea sounds very promising. The challenge we face is that my wife is in the process of going to school and will need to transfer to a new school in a year. As far as I'm concerned my wife's needs have to be prioritized because as a family unit, her college degree will improve financial stability to us all. Meaning my wife and I can stay afloat and then I could more personally afford to help my mom financially. I already have a degree but have struggled with career fluctuation in the past 3 years.

In other words we are not prepared to move far away to where my mother's house is actually located. My wife needs to finish school.

So for the next few years while my wife completes school, I don't know what my mother should do. However in the future when my wife and I are both earning more collectively, then a duplex idea is interesting and it may be easier to pay for my mother's rent as well.

Thank you for your feedback. I do appreciate it.

I have a family member, mother, who will need my assistance finding a home and I am looking towards section 8 housing, which is basically a range of government funded housing. As a family we don't have many other options so please understand that. I'd like to know any technical, governmental, or big picture details that would allow this process to go as smoothly as possible. I am now researching how it works in the state where she lives.

For example, she owns a home but can no longer afford to live there because she can not keep consistent employment. Will the fact that she owns a home but has no income impact her ability to get Section 8 housing? She rents the home out now WHICH allows her to have a limited monthly income. The yearly amount is 100% poverty range. Additionally she is nearing U.S. retirement age for social security and she has some 401k savings that are intended to help her survive as she goes on with her life. She has very little savings. It's become clear to me that she'll probably survive off her savings for several years but will then need financial help again.

So yes, any perspective on Section 8 housing would be appreciated.

I don't think she would qualify, since she owns assets.

Also, at least in my area, you end up on a wait list for over 3 years. If your name comes up, then you have a few months to find a Section 8 place. If you are unable to find one (not many landlords will rent to Section 8 ) during that time period, then you lose the spot and go to the bottom of the list.

The duplex idea sounds like a good one for her, though.

• 3 weeks later...

You're leaving out a very important piece of info: who's living in the house right now? If mom is living with you and mom can't afford the house, why is she living with you? It doesn't make sense. Otherwise, I would say just sell the house and she should have enough money to rent for the next 10 years. Or do a reverse mortgage when she's 59 and she'll have enough money to cover taxes and other costs for 20 years. The government won't give you much if she still owns a house. And she needs to work for as long as she can.

Archived