Unhealthy Diet caused by Parents

alyzical

My parents aren't the greatest. They feed me McDonalds daily and rarely cook food (but when they do, its not good, either). I absolutely hate it, but i dont know how to eat healthier. I have social anxiety, and I can barely speak to my parents and I feel like I'm choking when I try to tell them I dont want their garbage junk food. If I say that I dont want McDonalds, they'll ask if i want another type of junk food, or a toasted peanut butter sandwich. I keep saying no to all of it, but when they run out of options (out of the three usuals) they asume that i dont want to eat and get mad at me. I feel like a tired slug all the time because I'm not getting the proper nutrients that I need to grow. For breakfast, a McDonalds mcmuffin or nothing at all. For lunch, my dad is at work so my brother has to order food, usually pizza and Popeyes (every time i tell him I want healthier food, he says that its not an option). For dinner, guess what? McDonalds! The healthiest Ive gotten now is asking for the salad from McDonalds, and not adding the dressing. Still, though, my dad buys a soda for me and vecause Im so used to this lifestyle, I cant help but drink it. Im not old enough to move out any time soon, or have the courage to go out and buy healthy foods because I fear my brother would judge me. I dont know what to do. I feel terrible. I dont want to do anything anymore. I want to change my habits soon but I just cant.

Can anyone cook in your house? Of course you should not be eating all that junk food but can you take some responsibility and make your own meals with what is in the fridge? Who does the grocery shopping? Can you go to the grocery store and buy yourself some decent food? If you cant cook, surely you can make a salad and add some cooked meat to it for some protein, and use a low calorie dressing.

As cheap as McDonald's is (particularly the extra value meals, which I do buy occasionally in a pinch), it's still cheaper to buy decent food at a reasonable store (maybe not Whole Foods, but you know what I mean). If you can't get to a store yourself (and if you can't I don't know what to tell you), then maybe come up with a list of healthy foods you like, and point out to your parents that they would save money buying those foods for you, and then cook them yourself. At some point, you're going to have to take responsibility for yourself here. If you can't help drinking a soda instead of water, or whatever, then nobody on these these forums can slap it out of your hand or prevent it. Not everything is on other people.

It's good that you have perceived the damage that this diet will do to you if it continues. That is a big step in the right direction.

I feel like a tired slug all the time because I'm not getting the proper nutrients that I need to grow.

I know you have social anxiety, but keep what you said here in mind, not whether your brother will judge you or not. Remember, he only knows what his parents have shown him.

Have you access to any money yourself, or could you ask your parents to give you an allowance for food that you can cook yourself rather than ordering it in? I know you have difficulty speaking to them. Can you send a message rather than speaking face to face? If it's not an option, are you old enough to get a part-time job after school? Have you tried naming things other than the usuals when your parents ask you what you want to eat? How did they respond?

If you have almost no experience with healthy food, you need to start with the very basics. Look for the most simple recipes for all three meals and learn cooking methods through Youtube, etc. Don't worry if it doesn't come out right the first time. Porridge is a quick, cheap breakfast and it's not hard to learn to cook it. For lunch you can make a salad yourself, and you can make it much nicer than McDonald's and put in a huge variety of healthy, filling things. Beans on toast makes a decent lunch. Wholemeal pasta is very versatile. You can have it with pasta sauce or fry a piece of chicken or fish with it. Start reading and watching videos for ideas. Cooking seems very daunting when you start, but there are so many people like you, and many people are trying to address the problem of people who have never grown up cooking for themselves. Look up Jamie Oliver, for example.

Please keep posting if you need more help, and one thing you should really do is stay off the sugary drinks. They are so dangerous, and once you're used to not having them, you won't regret it.

Archived