Is this normal? Non-management/supervisory/HR staff facilitating the interview?

I am looking for a change in my career and recently applied for a job and received an interview. I met all of their qualifications including several years of experience in a similar environment with two very specific kinds of software. The job was 6 hours away, and while they offered a Skype interview, I drove to the interview in person because I wanted to show them I was dedicated, and I really, really wanted this job and wanted to scope out the premises to get an idea of what it would be like. The job was also close to my family, which is another reason I would like to relocate.

I arrived in the building and politely introduced myself to the manager. He was very friendly, and we talked and joked. I felt confident that it was going to go well based on this good rapport.

Then, he lead me to the boardroom where the interview would take place....where three other people were sitting. One was a supervisor - and the two others were an IT person, and another random staff member, neither of whom would be a supervisor to this position or have anything to do with management or hiring.

They took turns asking me questions. Facing four people now instead of the one or two I anticipated, I became very nervous, and while I think my answers were good, and while I was very polite and smiled and tried to keep my cool, I definitely had "word salad". I think I was especially nervous as a lot was at stake and I had traveled just to be there.

They said they would let me know regardless the following week, and they never got back to me. I sent a follow up message this morning and was informed they chose someone else.

I have had interviews with two people before, usually a manager/supervisor and an HR representative, but never four. I fully own up to the fact that my nerves probably cost me the job, but I can't help but be annoyed that two people who have nothing to do with the hiring process were there asking me questions. The two other employees would not be supervising or overseeing me, they would be my colleagues, so I can't help but wonder why it was necessary for them to be there and I am absolutely sure I wouldn't have been as nervous if they hadn't been there.

My questions for the forum are:

Has this ever happened to you? Is this a normal interview practice?

Do I have a right to feel annoyed about the other employees assisting with the interview?

Do you have any tips for dealing with nerves during an interview (especially when you're trying to be articulate and your words aren't coming out properly)?

Interesting. I do not think it is fair for employees who are at the same level and not management/HR to have a say in who gets hired or not. I've certainly never experienced this at any of my past interviews. The people in the supervisor/management positions should be representative of the company and have the knowledge and understanding as to what would be a good fit.When I prepare for an interview, I prepare to impress my future boss, not Joe from IT.

Yep. It's a panel interview, and common practice.

I've sometimes had interviews where there were six people in the room. Aside from the immediate demands of the job itself, it will tell them how you perform under pressure/to a small audience; potential team members will be able to assess how well you might fit in with their team (which is why they were there); and aspects of your job may be pertinent to a range of professionals, and they'll want to talk to you from their different standpoints.

As for nerves... in a sense, it's irrelevant whether there are two people or twenty people asking you questions - as long as you have time to answer those questions. If one person asks you a question, answer them and don't be distracted by other people being around. Let yourself know that you are being interviewed by the organisation as a whole, and that you have many facets of your personality and experience to offer. Now's your chance!

Yep. It's a panel interview, and common practice.

I've sometimes had interviews where there were six people in the room. Aside from the immediate demands of the job itself, it will tell them how you perform under pressure/to a small audience; potential team members will be able to assess how well you might fit in with their team (which is why they were there); and aspects of your job may be pertinent to a range of professionals, and they'll want to talk to you from their different standpoints.

As for nerves... in a sense, it's irrelevant whether there are two people or twenty people asking you questions - as long as you have time to answer those questions. If one person asks you a question, answer them and don't be distracted by other people being around. Let yourself know that you are being interviewed by the organisation as a whole, and that you have many facets of your personality and experience to offer. Now's your chance!

I did try my best to "tune" the others out during each individual question but it's just intimidating literally facing four other people staring at you who decide your fate. I understand them wanting to make sure the person is a good fit with the team, but feel that I can't accurately convey my personality or how well I would fit with their team due to the nerves and the environment. Nor would I appreciate it if I had made a favorable impression with management, but a fellow employee on the panel who didn't like me put a bug in their ear.

I have another interview this week elsewhere, over skype, but I think I will be asking now if it will be a one-on-one or panel.

Panel interviews are common place for almost everything now.

I've never had one before and this worries me. I'm not meaning to brag, but I know I am a good candidate in my field of work - I've gotten an offer for every job in my field that I've ever interviewed for and each of these interviews were one-on-one or had the main manager/supervisor and an HR person in the room. This time, I just looked like a sweaty ball of nerves.

That's the point of panels though. Maybe one person doesn't like you but the panel can overrule them. It's better odds than one person not liking you (and that one person being your only interviewer.)

It is fair to ask for the type of interview. But change how you perceive interviews. Getting an interview means you're qualified on paper. This means the interview is just to see if they would get along with you. Treat it like a social event (obviously a professional one). But be yourself.

I do not think it is fair for employees who are at the same level and not management/HR to have a say in who gets hired or not.

If you're going to be part of their team, it's crucial. They are the ones you'll be mingling with every day, and if you don't get a good vibe off them, and vice-versa, it's not going to work.

Some large companies have all-day interviews which consist of, well, interviews, psychometric tests, lunch and sometimes even a little informal party afterwards. The lunch and party afterwards are as much part of the interview process as anything else, and I recall an HR manager telling me about a real high-flyer who failed at the last minute to get an executive job because of the condescending way he spoke to the secretaries at the informal party. ("The secretaries here are indispensable. YOU are not!")

I used to be a Head of Department at a school, and when we were interviewing, I and my second-in-command would take all the prospective candidates for a tour of the place. You found out far more about how they operated during the little tour than you ever did during a formal interview.

An organisation interviewing you is interested in finding out what sort of person you are, not just your familiarity with different types of software. They want to know how you'll fit in.

Thank you to all who have replied. I will chalk this up to an experience that I can learn from, having never experienced a panel interview before, and I will consider this during my interview tomorrow.

It's fine to ask who will be interviewing you; this is also standard if they don't actually tell you up front.

Another thing to consider is that this is a chance for you to get a feel for the organisation, not just the management/HR.

I had a couple of jobs in care homes, which were such a nightmare that I left both before I'd finished my probationary period. If I'd met the healthcare assistants - along with the manager and residents - I wouldn't have taken either job. It works both ways.

Another thing to consider is that this is a chance for you to get a feel for the organisation, not just the management/HR.

I had a couple of jobs in care homes, which were such a nightmare that I left both before I'd finished my probationary period. If I'd met the healthcare assistants - along with the manager and residents - I wouldn't have taken either job. It works both ways.

Agreed... I had one interview that was my dream job on paper. I'm glad they did a panel because some of the guys I interviewed with were dreadful.

A separate interview (where I landed) was a series of 4 small panels and they were fun. Genuinely enjoyable interviews.

At some positions it's crucial that you and your coworkers get along well. Sometimes in companies that have ieg. their own system administrators or something of a sort, workers know more about some positions than their bosses and are more competent in choosing their colleague than their actual boss.

That's the point of panels though. Maybe one person doesn't like you but the panel can overrule them. It's better odds than one person not liking you (and that one person being your only interviewer.)

It is fair to ask for the type of interview. But change how you perceive interviews. Getting an interview means you're qualified on paper. This means the interview is just to see if they would get along with you. Treat it like a social event (obviously a professional one). But be yourself.

This! I had a panel interview with 3 employees. In the third interview when I spoke to the CEO he mentioned that their opinions were miscellaneous. It would be nice if I had only met the ones who said the ok but I wouldn't have gotten the job if I had an interview with the one who didn't approve me.

I would take it as an opportunity to meet my potential team rather than an opportunity to feel annoyed or intimidated. These folks could become colleagues, so it's good to get a preview; there is an advantage in that, plus it might be a more efficient procedure overall.

Archived