I've had a really hard time managing my depression lately. The medication doesn't work. Therapy isn't working either. I thought I was getting better but have since then nose dived. I've been reading about self harm and it seems to provide relief for many people. Has anyone tried this and did it work for you? I'm perfectly aware it's not healthy. But I'll try anything at this point.

You should tell your therapist all of this. therapy and your medication should be working and I'm sure they can find a way to help you more (but only if they know they need to).

Cutting stays with you your whole life. You'll have the scars for forever, and they will forever remind you of your pain. You'll have to explain it to your future lovers or children or doctors. This is important to consider along with the danger.

My friend. Please please don't. I have scars from this.

May I suggest doing other adrenaline inducing things? Like going out and sprinting REALLY fast in a safe area. Loud singing also helps. I also used to have a character of mine that I drew in all kinds of violent situations. Instead of hurting myself, I hurt her. I eventually felt bad for hurting her and also realized I shouldn't be hurting myself either.

Yeah it gives temporary relief they say due to endorphines being released- As do working out which improves your health so I'd rather go for that. And please check into what causes the depression. They say all unhealthstarts in the gut so go get checked for gluten intolerance, could it be adrenal fatigue and so on. The root of the depression needs to be healed, psychiatry only prescribes chemicals that eases but doesn't solve.

Cutting only masks the pain, just as alcohol and narcotics do. They all have negative consequences to the individual as well as to all the people they are loved by. Perhaps discuss with your psychiatrist about trying a different medication. It's not one size fits all. Just as some people are allergic to some meds and some aren't, and some meds work for some people but are ineffective with others. Maybe you need a lengthier time in therapy, or maybe you should switch therapists. Take care.

I've had a really hard time managing my depression lately. The medication doesn't work. Therapy isn't working either. I thought I was getting better but have since then nose dived. I've been reading about self harm and it seems to provide relief for many people. Has anyone tried this and did it work for you? I'm perfectly aware it's not healthy. But I'll try anything at this point.

As an ex self-harmer, I find the concept of 'trying' self-harming as though it is a conscious choice, really insulting.

But I am happy to PM you some lists that I have of alternative self-harming techniques to try whenever you feel tempted.

I have cut/hurt myself a few times in the past, and while it does appear to provide relief, it's actually not really helpful in any way and is incredibly temporary. It isn't a choice to be made in the hope that it will help you, it's an irrational and subconscious response to intense mental pain. It won't fix your mental state or any of your problems, it's just a way to punish yourself or to destroy something.

If I were you I'd go for a really fast run until you are exhausted, or beat or scream into a pillow instead, as that will give you a similar feeling of adrenaline. Cutting won't help your depression at all - please don't try it. It always made me feel ashamed and regretful afterwards. You didn't say how long you'd been in therapy, but it usually gets worse before it gets better so give it time if you haven't been going long. If you have been maybe try a new therapist, and see if they can help you more.

I'm so sorry you feel this way right now, I really hope you get the help you need x

Archived