Facial features, what role do they play in attraction?

Cyrus8088

I was unsure onto where to post another one of these discussion questions, but this seemed like the appropriate section to post it to

The run down is,

Remove all the bias and emotional standards you have against a fellow human being

And think about this rationally, what I'm going to write can be very offensive to some, but sided by science of course

People with better looking facial features tend to receive a sort of head start in relationships, and I'm not going out on a limb here, it's not a rant by me about this either, I just want to have a meaningful discussion with emotional experts in this sort of subject, about this

Our brains can easily distinguish between lovely looking things and gross/unpleasant things, we all know that

Hence it is very natural and evident that we do feel these feelings either consiously or subconsciously when meeting people with appearances which are high on either side

A face might be displeasing to look at compared to other more naturally gifted beauty

As we try to perfect whatever facial features we have in order to maximize the "pleasing to look at" sort of thing, these people have to work on their personality and charm a lot more harder inorder to have a bit of fairness comparing the attractiveness between people with naturally pleasing faces

"Looks isn't everything" as you very clearly know, even a person with attractive facial features can be disliked easily if their personality is horrendous or simply are bad people

But if these people, who have attractive facial features perfect themselves with a charming personality or good attitude, they overall become a lot more attractive with both of these combined factors

The rest of the people who either have average or displeasing faces have to work on this a lot harder, in order to even try to receive the same amount of attraction

But when boiling all this down, what really is the role of facial features in attractiveness?

Unpleasing to look at or not doesn't matter

Also, does all this really matter? (Does it give an unfair advantage to some people?)

I get what you are saying. Some people who are beautiful can in my opinion can become ugly looking by their horrible personality. Where as take my late Grandmother, not so attractive but she was so beautiful inside she was the most beautiful woman physically . You noticed her dimples when she smiled and her vibrant blue eyes.

Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. I've been called unattractive by some and beautiful by others.

I'm not an obvious beauty like you describe. There are those who are just so nice to look at everyone notices.

I've known beautiful people with just as equally beautiful personalities.

Then you get those obvious beauties who are narcissistic because they know they can afford to be shallow like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. Lol

Lisa

Facial symmetry is important. Generally speaking, a symmetrical and clear (unblemished) complexion will definitely count for something. Speaking for myself, I am attracted to men who have a certain eye shape - all of my exes had this and so does my current boyfriend. I also will not like a man unless I love his smile. If his smile looks bad/awkward/forced/terrble to me in anyway, then it's a no-go.

All I can say is: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What some rate a 10, I might rate a 5 (which I have found very often is the case). What appeals to many I usually find "ugh". It's subjective.

Agreed. My best friend is very attracted to the lumberjack type. Flannel, big beards, tattoos, dad bods.

I like nerdy white guys with awkwardly cute quirks.

I find facial hair literally disgusting (big beards mostly). I don't know what she thinks of nerds but I know she's not in to them

Facial symmetry is important. Generally speaking, a symmetrical and clear (unblemished) complexion will definitely count for something. Speaking for myself, I am attracted to men who have a certain eye shape - all of my exes had this and so does my current boyfriend. I also will not like a man unless I love his smile. If his smile looks bad/awkward/forced/terrble to me in anyway, then it's a no-go.

Yes!! I have a friend who has the best features and body; however, her only flaw is she has slowly developed Ptosis of her L eye and eyebrow - in other words, noticeable sleep eye and a brow that is noticeable lower than the other brow. Men just don't seem interested in her anymore. Insurance will now cover her Ptosis repair and eyebrow lift because it has worsened a lot in 2 years, according to her Optometrist. She is getting it repaired soon and I hope it changes her life!

Oh yes, ptosis can really change someone's face to a large degree. Sadly, I can see why men aren't interested in her...it can look kind of "off" and with things like online dating, you know, pics are everything.

I'm so glad she is getting it repaired. I think she will find that men will be interested in her.

I agree that looks are subjective. Humans are not supposed to all look the same.

I find I tend to go for guys with big wide smiles and symmetrical features.

I have dated men who are polar opposites of each other in looks and personality, but they always have great smiles.

Limiya

All I can say is: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What some rate a 10, I might rate a 5 (which I have found very often is the case). What appeals to many I usually find "ugh". It's subjective.

It's less subjective than we think. Studies using photographs have shown there are features the general population gravitate toward.

Looks matter, they matter very much. It's evolution, it's science. Better looking people have more options, in dating, and in life. Obviously people who have a good personality with good looks, are going to do O.K. Anecdotally I have seen/heard many stories of people doing just fine based on looks alone. How many stories out there are there of bad boys and bad girls getting more attention then they deserve because of sex appeal and looks?

I think we don't like to admit how important a role looks have in mate selection. It shouldn't be everything, and there are some personality disorders that skew things. But generally society loves good looking people. Al. those leading me and women wouldn't be where they are without some help from the DNA looks lottery.

I like to see character in a face; perfect symmetry is not necessarily a plus. Also, a smile goes a long way. So does personality. But most importantly, if I don't have respect for someone, it doesn't matter how handsome they are. I feel revolted by them and it's hard for me to hide it!

It's less subjective than we think. Studies using photographs have shown there are features the general population gravitate toward.

Looks matter, they matter very much. It's evolution, it's science. Better looking people have more options, in dating, and in life. Obviously people who have a good personality with good looks, are going to do O.K. Anecdotally I have seen/heard many stories of people doing just fine based on looks alone. How many stories out there are there of bad boys and bad girls getting more attention then they deserve because of sex appeal and looks?

I think we don't like to admit how important a role looks have in mate selection. It shouldn't be everything, and there are some personality disorders that skew things. But generally society loves good looking people. Al. those leading me and women wouldn't be where they are without some help from the DNA looks lottery.

I love you brought science into this, this is a very factual statement you have made out of all these people, props to you

Archived