Who pays airfare in long-distance relationship?

reneneyrey

I connected with a girl living 4 states away. At 1st, I was flying there, 3 or 4 times. Then we mostry took turns, she flew here, then I flew there, etc. All along, we each paid our own airfare. Affordability was never a problem for either of us. We both have a lot saved up and we both make a good income. She got a good job in my town and has moved in with me now, and we were discussin how to share expenes. She said she didn't know one woman who would have paid their own airfare for the 2 years our relationship was long distance. I was surprised to hear that. What do y'all think?

I didn't have airfare to contend with, but I never would have expected my ex to pay for my gas/mileage down to his apartment for the three years we were together, and I never would have paid for his.

Is she just bringing this up as an aside, or is she using it to get you to pay more expenses?

She is not your dependent, nor your child so she is responsible for her own air fare.

If she didn't have a good job and couldn't afford it, where as you could, I could see you making up with difference so it's equitable at times.

It shouldn't be a burden to one if it's easy for the other and no one should feel entitled.

But that isn't the case here.

She pays her way.

I also believe in financial equality in same-city dating, unless there is a huge income disparity. I believe in trading picking up checks and splitting vacations and other expenses.

So my question is: Is there a huge income disparity? Why do you think she thinks you should pick up all expenses?

I do have a friend who feels the way this girlfriend does.

She gives me grief when finds out that I might have paid my own way or picked up the dinner check.

But . . this same friend also has a hard time finding dates

I, too, have a friend who thinks it's a "huge problem" and would never, in a million years, pull out her credit card on a date.

She is 55, single, and never been married. Truth.

When I was in a LD relationship, my ex bf payed for all my traveling as well as living expenses if I went to his place or if he comes to me. But if we go out to travel elsewhere for fun, we pay for our own tickets and he will pay for the room/board and some fun expenses.

It gets expensive so I offer sometimes. Neither of us have financial issues so it wasn't a concern for us. But if you're short on $$$, then I would say pay for your own separately.

Dating wouldn't be so costly if people instead of looking for people light years away found someone in their own back yard, so to speak. I simply do not understand it.

Yeah once I noticed someone was 81 miles from me on Bumble I unmatched her lol

I'm in LDR and me and my boyfriend both pay our own airfares. That's not even a discussion. Maybe if due to circumstances the other one was the only one able to travel to meet up then the non traveling one could contribute. Other than that if the travels go quite equal then both pay own fares. Same in close distance dating.

I connected with a girl living 4 states away. At 1st, I was flying there, 3 or 4 times. Then we mostry took turns, she flew here, then I flew there, etc. All along, we each paid our own airfare. Affordability was never a problem for either of us. We both have a lot saved up and we both make a good income. She got a good job in my town and has moved in with me now, and we were discussin how to share expenes. She said she didn't know one woman who would have paid their own airfare for the 2 years our relationship was long distance. I was surprised to hear that. What do y'all think?

I'd put her back on a plane with a one way ticket.

Archived