Anxiety and depression is worse after quitting drinking.

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I did here. Forgive me if this isn't the right place.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced depression and anxiety getting worse after quitting drinking.

It's been about 30 days since I've had a drink and I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and struggled with depression here and there over my life. I am not any meds because SSRIs don't work for me. In fact, they make me feel worse. I'm also just tired of having chemicals in my brain and kind of want to "flush out" my system.

I was abusing alcohol kind of badly for the past 3 years but before I quit, I managed to slow down considerably about a few months ago.

I thought that by quitting drinking, I would feel better. but I don't. The weird thing is, I actually feel like I am on meds too. I can't explain it but when I was taking SSRIs, I felt like I was in a dream-like state and just felt odd and strange and overall, worse. I was having weird dreams that made me feel funny when I would wake up, so that's why I don't take them. I am having a little bit of a hard time staying focused at work too, including occassionally finding it hard to think of what I want to say. I also feel some slight tingling in my fingertips.

I also smoke weed, but my desire to has also wained since quitting drinking.

I just can't figure out why I am feeling the way I do when I am basically not on anything except Antabuse (which really helped me to stop drinking) along with Lipitor for cholesterol and another med to help lower my blood pressure. There's a lot going on in my life right now both personally and professionally and I need to be mentally sharp right now but I'm struggling. I am taking things day by day but it feels like I am treading through water.

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced what I am after quitting drinking, especially those who are prone to anxiety and depression and if so, how you managed to get through this and how long it lasted.

Thanks in advance.

While 30 days clean, you shouldn't be suffering any major physical withdrawal symptoms, it makes sense you'd still experience struggles with the psychological dependence. A big problem with common attitudes toward addiction, particularly in North America, is the focus is on the drug over the reason an addict chose to self-medicate with it. Take away the drug, but the issues still remain. Have you been keeping up with medical checkups and psychological therapy since you've cut out the booze?

While 30 days clean, you shouldn't be suffering any major physical withdrawal symptoms, it makes sense you'd still experience struggles with the psychological dependence. A big problem with common attitudes toward addiction, particularly in North America, is the focus is on the drug over the reason an addict chose to self-medicate with it. Take away the drug, but the issues still remain. Have you been keeping up with medical checkups and psychological therapy since you've cut out the booze?

That's what I thought too, so this is odd and unexpected.

Yes, I have been keeping up with medical checkups but recently I had to quit therapy because I'm in the process of moving and my office is moving too. So, I am looking for another.

I was recently hospitalized becuase my blood pressure was extremely high. I had a very bad headache a few weeks ago and was sent to the ER after going to an urgent care clinic and there my BP was almost 220 so they sent me to the hospital and I was told I had "stroke level" BP. I was there for almost 2 days. Ever since then, I havent' felt right. My BP now is under control and at normal levels, so again, the strange feelings are also unexpected.

I'm aware that I relied on alcohol to help me cope. But I as I said, I expected to feel better and the worst part is I cannot figure out why I also feel like I am taking meds. That's the worst part.

I'm guessing you are on heavy duty blood pressure meds at the moment and unfortunately that depressive fuzziness is one of the side effects of those types of meds. So, quitting drinking will help you with reducing your blood pressure in the long run. As would things like focusing on a proper diet and daily exercise routine. Focus on what you can do for the long haul for lowering your bp and you'll find that you have your sharpness back and feel much better as you will be able to cut back on the bp meds in the long haul. Basically, quitting drinking is a huge step in the right direction, but keep going. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm guessing you are on heavy duty blood pressure meds at the moment and unfortunately that depressive fuzziness is one of the side effects of those types of meds. So, quitting drinking will help you with reducing your blood pressure in the long run. As would things like focusing on a proper diet and daily exercise routine. Focus on what you can do for the long haul for lowering your bp and you'll find that you have your sharpness back and feel much better as you will be able to cut back on the bp meds in the long haul. Basically, quitting drinking is a huge step in the right direction, but keep going. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I think you're right about the blood pressure meds. I am taking Metopropolol and did some research on it. Some of the less common side effects are what I am experiencing now but it sucks it's happening at the same time as I am quitting drinking. Dealing with effects of both is hard and unfortunately affecting work. I am doing my best to get through this. I think I need to stop taking the BP meds for now. My last check up less than a week ago was good and my BP has been reduced a lot.

I think you're right about the blood pressure meds. I am taking Metopropolol and did some research on it. Some of the less common side effects are what I am experiencing now but it sucks it's happening at the same time as I am quitting drinking. Dealing with effects of both is hard and unfortunately affecting work. I am doing my best to get through this. I think I need to stop taking the BP meds for now. My last check up less than a week ago was good and my BP has been reduced a lot.

Don't do that or you'll just end up in the hospital again. If your bp is getting better, talk to your doctor about switching out to a different med for it and/or lowering the dosage. BP doesn't really get cured, so you do have to watch it always if you have the problem. This runs in my fam so I'm quite familiar with it. Do not just stop taking the meds, but you can monitor dosage and take as needed, BUT talk to a doctor before you do anything such especially after the recent crisis with that.

Don't do that or you'll just end up in the hospital again. If your bp is getting better, talk to your doctor about switching out to a different med for it and/or lowering the dosage. BP doesn't really get cured, so you do have to watch it always if you have the problem. This runs in my fam so I'm quite familiar with it. Do not just stop taking the meds, but you can monitor dosage and take as needed, BUT talk to a doctor before you do anything such especially after the recent crisis with that.

So I stopped taking the high blood pressure medication about 3 days ago generally I feel better. I looked online to see if others were experiencing the same thing I was and I was surprised at how many were. The drug is called Metoprolol (I missed spelled it above) but I think it's taking a little while to get out of my system. I still feel a little weird. Many people were experiencing the mood swings and feeling like a zombie. It is an awful drug to be on regardless that it helps with BP. I am going to try and regulate mine naturally.

I'm still feeling pretty anxious and depressed. After some thought, I think I have a lot going on at once: I'm in the process of moving as I just bought a house with my parents. They were stuck in Ohio and retired so I decided to be a co-borower because they don't really have an income. The basement is being renovated, which is where I will be living, and I am slowly moving in, so I am in transition there. At my job, I work in IT and we are moving offices and it's a huge undertaking - so we're in transition there too. We have thousands of employees and moving all the IT equipment is going to be tough and we're already in the process. We have many IT teams so we all have to work together, so work is stressful too.

I have never been involved with a renovation before so I wasn't prepared for the stresses that come with that.

I just can't seem to shake off the blues. I should be excited to be moving but every day so far feels heavy. I am trying to put a lot of effort into each day and I am spending the weekends at the new place with my parents but i don't have my own area yet and need to wait for the renovations to be done.

I know quitting and drinking is good for me but it I really wish I could just focus on one thing at a time.

It is/was really difficult to pack. I have moved many times before and it wasn't like this. Lately I just feel so exhausted and I just want to sleep. I have been able to take long naps during the weekends at the new house but even then, I feel guilty about it.

Like I said, I have been trying really hard to look at the positives in my life right now to get me through this but it also is taking a toll on me.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am taking it day by day and trying to be patient but I feel worn out.

Today is Father's Day and I am happy that I can spend it with mine. I wish all the Fathers' a good day today.

Archived