Hsv testing?

Hi folks.

A little over a month ago I had unprotected sex with someone who has hsv2. She was not having a breakout at the time and since then I have shown no symptoms, but I thought I should get tested just to be sure.

However, when I called planned parenthood they said they don't recommend an hsv test unless you have symptoms. Otherwise the test is "not necessary," they said.

So... how am I supposed to take this information? Should go about my endeavors assuming I don't have it, or should I abstain from sex and wait around until symptoms show up? I only have a basic understanding of herpes, so any advice is appreciated.

P.s. Does anyone know anything about that home finger- test for hsv? I heard about it somewhere, didn't know if one really exists.

I have been told similar things with regards to testing for HSV-2. It can be difficult to test for and the general rule that medical practitioners follow is that until or unless you have symptoms, it's worthless trying to test for the virus as it can lay dormant in such small quantities that you can test a false negative for it (at least in the first few months following the sexual contact of concern).

You should use condoms and find a doctor who is willing to order a pathology test for asymptomatic HSV (both 1 and 2, as people can contract 1 on their genitals and call it 'genital herpes' for the fact that it's capable of sexual transmission through genital-to-genital contact). If that test comes back negative then you can probably feel relatively safe in your status, especially if you don't have an outbreak in the next few months - you'd normally have one by now if you had contracted it through viral shedding.

And make wiser decisions in future, if possible! Not something you want to play around with

Hi! I blood test positive for hsv1 and hsv2 I've never had a outbreak that I've noticed. You have to get a test called the western standard blot test. You often have to ask for it by name and/or find a dr who will do it. Most standard sti screening don't include it and most folks have never been tested for it unless they have had something that looks like an outbreak. Hsv is a funny sti. Everyone is scared of it, most people have no idea if they have it and people assume that they've been tested and haven't. If I didn't fight to get tested I wouldn't have any idea that I have it. It's useful info but even if you have it you won't know if you got it from this woman or someone else. A lot of people have hsv from non sexual contact and if you don't have outbreaks there is no way to tell where the infection started.

While routine testing is generally not encouraged, if you know for a fact you were exposed to it, you should get tested. You can wait a few months and get an IgG test done. You can also inquire about a PCR. Personally, I'd wouldn't be comfortable having sex at all until getting properly tested, but at the very, very least, you should nix the idea of going bareback.

That Planned Parenthood is staffed by idiots.

Naw, they are just being financially responsible. It's an expensive test and 80% or more of the population has it. It's mostly a issue of stigma and not one of health (unless you contract it while pregnant and don't know it). Planned parenthood is an amazing resource and while it has its flaws hsv testing isn't one of them. That's the standard across the medical profession.

Naw, they are just being financially responsible. It's an expensive test and 80% or more of the population has it. It's mostly a issue of stigma and not one of health (unless you contract it while pregnant and don't know it). Planned parenthood is an amazing resource and while it has its flaws hsv testing isn't one of them. That's the standard across the medical profession.
The opposition to routine testing is almost entirely epidemiological in nature. Positive but asymptomatic diagnoses haven't shown to significantly curb transmission. Basically, it's not that the tests are no good or worth the money. The CDC and WHO are basically just assuming that the general population is more or less illiterate when it comes to sexual health and hence the average person who contracts it-- particularly when it's asymptomatic-- isn't going to change their sexual behavior regardless. Not only is it suspected behavior wouldn't change, there's the risk of people testing negative prior to seroconversion could act more boldly than they would otherwise. So, in short. He should get educated and get tested.
Thanks for the reply! So what is the western standard blot test, and why would you need to ask for it by name? Is it a secret? Is it dangerous? Just seems kind of odd

It's not sercert. It's fairly new. The University of Washington developed it about 10 years ago. Most dr think it's pointless because of what jman is saying. It's not dangerous they just take your blood. I find the information super useful, I think it's important to be informed and educated and I do think it's bullsh*t that dr take knowledge out of our hands because they don't think we'll use it correctly or that it will cause more emotional harm then actual trauma... I think if more people actually knew there sti status there would be -less- stigma... but The medical community is backwards about a lot of things.

No, there is a reason it is not recommended, although it is not told to clients because it's not an answer people like. Basically, HSV testing is unreliable and is not curable. There is only symptom treatment, and if you do not show any then it isn't recommended. Even if you got the test, it isn't always useful:

"CDC does not recommend herpes testing for people without symptoms. This is because diagnosing genital herpes in someone without symptoms has not shown any change in their sexual behavior (e.g., wearing a condom or not having sex) nor has it stopped the virus from spreading. Also, false positive test results (test results that say you have herpes when you do not actually have the virus) are possible...STD tests are usually done for infections that have serious outcomes if they are not treated. For example, finding and treating curable STDs like chlamydia can stop them from causing serious complications like infertility (the inability to get pregnant) in women. Genital herpes does not usually result in serious outcomes in healthy, non-pregnant adults. More often, the stigma and shame from a genital herpes infection can be more troubling to someone who is infected than the disease itself. " (CDC)

Essentially, testing is only useful if you get tested repeatedly over different time intervals (rule out false positives and incubation time for virus). If you confirm this definitively with a blood test, then you can only talk with your doctor now about symptom management. You can only not get HSV by 1) Abstaining from infected partners and 2) using condoms. If you already do neither for any sexual partner you have, especially with an infected partner, no test result is going to help you unless you change your sexual behavior. In the scientific community and through public health officials, it has been shown that clients who get tested for HSV do not change their sexual behavior after it's performed. This is why the staff member did not recommend you have the test. You should be recommended a safe sex talk with your doctor instead for HSV, among other STD's.

So, do you always wear condoms every time with every sex partner and will you abstain from this infected partner? If both questions aren't answered with a resounding yes, then no test result is going to help you. Change your sexual behavior if you do not want STD's.

I received the same information, though in my case a condom was used and there was no breakout. My understanding; her not having a breakout at the time means your less likely to have caught it, however you not using a condom unfortunately raises the chances more than if you'd use one.

Take the test to be sure. I will be.

I think it's policy. The Planned Parenthood that I went to a couple of years ago told me the same thing. In fact, the doctor said that herpes is so common they just assume everyone has it!

In their defense, Planned Parenthood provides very important medical services free of charge, or for significantly less than most other clinics, hospitals, or doctor's offices. I understand how they would want to keep expenses down.

You can very much get hsv with condoms. You can get hsv without sex.

You can only get HSV-1 without sex, which is through kissing and sharing drinks. I have HSV-1 because I got mononucleosis from kissing my first boyfriend. He didn't even know he had it, since he had no symptoms. I was the unlucky 30 % that have symptoms from HSV-1.

So if you don't want HSV-1, don't share drinks or kiss anyone. Forever.

You can very well get HSV with condoms. So don't have sex with people who knowingly have it. It will reduce your risk to avoid sex with infected people, as well as using condoms every time. No test result will change this fact.

The population has about a 90% infection of HSV-1 and 2 combined. Please do assume pretty much everyone has some type of HSV and be safe with everyone.

Most clinics would actually benefit from getting more test requests, since it's either paid for by the state, government, or through your insurance company, and of course by you. There are no alternative motives here. They will be paid in full every time.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Before things get too accusatory I should point out that I normally ALWAYS wear condoms. On this occasion I made a mistake and I acknowledge that, it's why I called PP. But of course I'm not going to sleep with that person again, and it's rather stupid that doctors wouldn't perform a test because they think they can predict people's behavior. The whole point of offering a service is PROVIDING that service if someone asks for it. So what if most people don't change their behavior? There are still a ton of people who will, and to me that makes the test worth it. It seems that instead of giving patients an excuse that they may not want to hear, the dr should just give them the damn test. But hey, that's just me.

Anyway, it sounds like I should take the test in a month or so, so then the results will at least be more reliable. This thread has been helpful, albeit a little disturbing.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Before things get too accusatory I should point out that I normally ALWAYS wear condoms. On this occasion I made a mistake and I acknowledge that, it's why I called PP. But of course I'm not going to sleep with that person again, and it's rather stupid that doctors wouldn't perform a test because they think they can predict people's behavior. The whole point of offering a service is PROVIDING that service if someone asks for it. So what if most people don't change their behavior? There are still a ton of people who will, and to me that makes the test worth it. It seems that instead of giving patients an excuse that they may not want to hear, the dr should just give them the damn test. But hey, that's just me.

Anyway, it sounds like I should take the test in a month or so, so then the results will at least be more reliable. This thread has been helpful, albeit a little disturbing.

It's not only to do with behaviour change. It's to do with the accuracy of the test, and the way the virus spreads after initial contraction. In most instances, it spreads quickly and you will have an outbreak which is your cue to get tested and receive your diagnosis - from then on it is asymptomatic for many people. If you don't have an outbreak, this simply means the virus could not have taken hold in the body yet. I think the "incubation period" (I can't remember the exact term) for HSV is 3-6 months, can't quite recall, you can probably google it... Some STD's have shorter/longer timeframes before they can be accurately tested for, which is why you should get regular testing when you have different partners, and use protection as much as possible.

You can only get HSV-1 without sex, which is through kissing and sharing drinks. I have HSV-1 because I got mononucleosis from kissing my first boyfriend. He didn't even know he had it, since he had no symptoms. I was the unlucky 30 % that have symptoms from HSV-1.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's actually the other way around. HSV-2 (genital herpes) can only be transmitted via genital-to-genital contact, while HSV-1 can be spread both orally and genitally. So basically, any herpes of the genitals is transmissible through genital-to-genital contact, be it HSV-1 or HSV-2. Only HSV-2 (genital herpes) is not usually transmissible through oral sex. But because you can never be sure which one your partner has without reading their blood test results, you should assume that any contact puts you at risk

So if you don't want HSV-1, don't share drinks or kiss anyone. Forever.

You can very well get HSV with condoms. So don't have sex with people who knowingly have it. It will reduce your risk to avoid sex with infected people, as well as using condoms every time. No test result will change this fact.

The population has about a 90% infection of HSV-1 and 2 combined. Please do assume pretty much everyone has some type of HSV and be safe with everyone.

Most clinics would actually benefit from getting more test requests, since it's either paid for by the state, government, or through your insurance company, and of course by you. There are no alternative motives here. They will be paid in full every time.

You can have hsv 2 on your mouth, much like you can have hsv2 on your junk. If you get cold sores and have never been tested you don't actually know if you have hsv1 or hsv2.

Also if you don't want to get hsv sleeping with folks who know they have it is safer then sleeping with folks who don't know if they have it or not. I take anti-virals to stop shedding because I know I test positive and a couple of my partners do not. Most folks don't know there status... and those folks are the ones putting people at risk without knowing. There is no 'safe sex' just safer sex and the hard road of accourate information. Hsv is nothing to be ashamed of and shame is the thing that causes it to to get passed along. Antivirals work very well. Not knowing and being pumped full of shame does not.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's actually the other way around. HSV-2 (genital herpes) can only be transmitted via genital-to-genital contact, while HSV-1 can be spread both orally and genitally. So basically, any herpes of the genitals is transmissible through genital-to-genital contact, be it HSV-1 or HSV-2. Only HSV-2 (genital herpes) is not usually transmissible through oral sex. But because you can never be sure which one your partner has without reading their blood test results, you should assume that any contact puts you at risk

Sorry, but no you misread my post. I said "You can only get HSV-1 without sex, which is through kissing and sharing drinks", in which I meant out of the two types you can only get HSV-1 through nonsexual contact while HSV-2 should not (there are very rare exceptions though it could become orally contracted, with a similar rarity as HSV-1 on the genitals). Perhaps I should have specified that HSV-1 is predominately contracted through nonsexual activities while HSV-2 is predominately contracted through sexual contact, with a rare exception these types may infect in an area they are not commonly found. Although, if people are worried about uncommon viral infections, then I have few words of consolation for them since it's an irrational fear.

There are a slew of many other STD tests that are not found on any panels unless specifically asked for. Sometimes it is better to be as safe as you can instead of taking all of the possible viruses you can test for.

Archived