Should I think this is fishy?

confuzzled1

Started talking to a guy through an online dating site (one you pay to interact, not Tinder or POF). We got a couple messages in ( you know the what's your favorite movie, and what do you like to eat ones) and he tells me he's currently deployed, but will be home in 2 months, and looking for someone that's looking for someone that is looking for something serious (it's a site marketed to people wanting to get married, so that's assumed). Seems odd he wasn't up front about it? Then again I was played by a guy I was dating that I had known forever that found someone else while deployed and broke up with me two weeks before he came home, so I may be biased. Anyone else think it could be a guy just trying to play me and to back away?

Playing you how? You are just talking to some guy you've never even met that you may or may not meet at some point in the future. You have no obligations here to him and are free to stop talking to him, keep talking to others, going out on other dates, etc., as you wish. You might still be around in two months to meet up with him or you might have met someone else and moved on. I mean you are fully in control of what you are doing here. My only suggestion is don't get overly involved online with some guy you've never met so you don't get into a false sense of connection. I mean you could meet face to face and be totally not into him. So take it all with a giant grain of salt.

There are lots of military scams where the person is deployed, let me guess in Nigeria?

They say they are coming home in two months and would like to marry you and spend their life with you and love you without even having met you. Then in two weeks of talking they will run into a financial crisis. In that time frame they will ask you for money. In order to get home they need that money.

I've read about it, it's on every dating site even paid ones.

This guy will start off telling you how beautiful you are, he will be widowed or divorced. He will have some sad story, and that's why he is looking for love. He will say all the right things and not mind if you have any red flags yourself.

Basically you could tell him you are a drugged out stripper with five kids and no teeth and he will say "Great, where do I sign up?"

This is a scam in Nigeria! They use deceased pictures of fallen soldiers.

Let me guess he can't skype or call?

Soldiers deployed can Skype by the way.

Ask him for his official military email. He is allowed to give it out. If he doesn't say he can, he is lying.

Lisa

I checked out the websites for scams. And while he has none of the major signs yet, I know what to look for. He's not in Africa, but rather the Middle East and has no pics of him in uniform posted. Thus far he's just giving me cheesy bar pick up lines, which I just deflect as I am never swayed by those, and for my number (which I told him I don't give out till I get to know the person, better to keep the anonymity through the site for a while until I see how this plays out)

Archived