Afraid she'll loose her feelings in a long-distance relationship

We have been dating very actively for half a year, we enjoy each others and have had a lot of fun together. From the beginning I think she has been the one who has been more serious about our relationship, she started to talk about marriage very early, though we during last month not so actively. At first I was a bit scared about those talks, but as the time went by I fell in love and I would like to engage with her one day. She's a girl I want to keep.

From the beginning of our dating we both knew that I need to go abroad for 6 to 12 months to work. I was skeptical about the long-distance relationship, but she was confident it wont be a problem, because she had experienced it earlier.

The time went by and now I have been abroad for almost a month. We message almost everyday and call couple of times a week. But I have noticed she's not very happy about our long-distance relationship. She wants me back home asap, and I want the same of course, but I have a contract, which is very difficult to break and I also want to have this experience and stay here. We have a big dream we'd like to start to fulfil when I'll be back at home. For that we need money, and I get paid much better here than at home.

After some time our communication from here got boring. She didn't message me so much anymore and I tried to be quiet for couple of days as I though it might be a good idea. Then after couple of days she wanted to talk with me. She was very serious and said she can't live there without me, she needs more attention and she basically said if I don't come back home asap our relationship will be over.

I told her how much I love her, and explained that I want to be with her long-term (as she wanted from the beginning), and in long run 6 or even 12 months is not that long time. I also reminded her that it is good for our future plans that I am here and I reminded her that it's not easy for me either to be apart.

Then she said she's sorry for being silly and she just misses me so much. We made some new holiday plans etc. And I started to give her more attention, messaging her more often, reminding her I love her, order her a gift and I even promised her I will stay here only 6 months instead of 12. Everything was better than fine for a week, she was happy, but then she again she started to message me more and more rarely. And she doesn't really like to call anymore because 'we have nothing to talk about'.

I really love her and I'm okay if we don't talk/chat so often, but I'm afraid if we don't communicate enough she'll start to forget me and finally loose her feelings for me. She already said we have always had fun when we are together, but when we are away from each other she just don't have the feeling. Is there anything I can do in my situation to buy more time? I really want to keep her. I'll have two holidays, during my half a year, so I have been started to plan those, but for her even the holidays feel very distant.

Then there's also another thing. She just moved to a very rural area to work there. She had to find new friends, and there's only guys in the village, or that's what she has told me. She has always had more male friends than female friends. She spends her freetime with co-worker guys, making campfires, going climbing, cycling etc. This weekend she is going camping by the beach with the guy friends. I'm happy she has friends and she told many of those guys are married and living in a long-distance relationship as well. But still, as calm as I try to be it makes me crazy to know she spends so much time with other guys. She's very attractive. I'm afraid if she spends so much time with other guys she might start to develop feelings for others too. I feel very helpless. I think the worst thing to do is to try to ask her not to meet those guys, or what do you think? Is there anything to make me feel better and not to think too much of her and her guy friends? And just for extra information, the place where I am is only surrounded by guys also.

Is this very hopeless story?

So, if you are serious about this girl and you are considering getting engaged to her, this is a very good test to see how strong her love and loyalty is for you. You need to know

these things before you get into anything serious such as an engagement.

If she truly loves you and only you then this time apart won't change anything. It might be a bit tough at times, but if her love is real and her loyalty is strong then it will work out.

I know this is difficult to go through but it will really show you how she feels for you.

I hope it's a good ending, but if it's not, then at least you found out now instead of down the road how real her love was or wasn't.

Time and distance never change real love, please don't forget that. If her love goes away or changes, then it wasn't real.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived