Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Should I get tested for a learning disability?

Guest drpancake

Guest drpancake

Hey, I need some advice. All my life I've struggled with spelling, talking, directions, and I get numbers mixed up a lot. I am great at reading though so I don't think I am dyslexic or anything. I also did well in most things in school. I graduated high school with a 3.74 GPA and am in the honors program as a biology major at my college. Plus I got a 27 on the ACT so it really isn't that I'm dumb. However, I have never once passed a spelling test with more than a C- in my life and autocorrect is a good friend of mine. I also recently got a D in zoology and am having to retake it for them taking off for spelling errors on test though the teacher felt bad and said it was clear I knew the material. No matter how much I study words I get the letters mixed up or forget some. It is the same with numbers too. I just get them jumbled in my head sometimes so it takes longer in math. Though if I take my time and am careful I do well in math. Then when giving directions often I point in the direction I mean and say the wrong one without realizing it. This really pisses off my girlfriend and she thinks I'm messing with her but I don't mean to. Then when I talk sometimes I stutter or can't say a word even though I think it. I also get excited and forget to say key words in a sentence so what I say sounds like a jumbled mess. It is better than when I was little because I did this more then and refused to speak for the longest time after getting made fun of. I really try to be normal though. I've never been tested for a learning disability as it was too expensive. However, my girlfriend thinks there might be something wrong with me. I just always thought it was simply stuff I wasn't good at and needed to work more than other people at. She thinks I should get tested but I think it is unnecessary. I've learned to cope and having someone say something is wrong with me seems unfair. However, she things getting tested would help. I want to know what you guys think.

Testing for disability is indeed expensive . I would ask her if she has the around $2000 it takes.

I would get tested only if you feel like it it impacts your life greatly . Yes , of course having a learning disability in no way means you're stupid .

Would your girlfriend have more patience if you had a disability ?

Guest drpancake
Testing for disability is indeed expensive . I would ask her if she has the around $2000 it takes.

I would get tested only if you feel like it it impacts your life greatly . Yes , of course having a learning disability in no way means you're stupid .

Would your girlfriend have more patience if you had a disability ?

I think she would. She gets really frustrated with me sometimes and I think if there was something she could blame it on it would be easier for her to understand. Though I could afford it if I saved up for a few months I think it is too expensive. It does impact my life some but not enough to warrant any special treatment. We've also argued about this for months.

Well ,she has the kind of wrong attitude about testing. It is not to "blame it on something ." Getting tested can help to lead to more understanding and getting accommodations when you need them . You could get accommodations at college or university if you have a documented learning disability .

Guest drpancake
Well ,she has the kind of wrong attitude about testing. It is not to "blame it on something ." Getting tested can help to lead to more understanding and getting accommodations when you need them . You could get accommodations at college or university if you have a documented learning disability .

I know and my teacher talked about those accommodations. It's just that I don't feel like I need them. So far I've done well just working around it except for that one class. Do you think there is a way to get her to understand better how I feel about this?

Guest drpancake
Do you have student success centre at your college? They may be able to help your girlfriend understand that disability is not trying to annoy other people it's a different way of learning .

Yeah, we do. I guess I could have her go talk to them if you think they could help.

Guest drpancake
People are often uneducated about disability . Sometimes all they need is a bit of education .

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll try that and hopefully it will work.

I'm terrible with spelling and a lot of things that require a certain skill subtype. I didn't know my days of the week until I was in 4th grade. My German teacher in German 8 pulled me aside one day to inform me I continually misspelled Wednesday. I was 22 and a senior in college. I still have issues with month and I'm 29.

Apparently I have a organizational memory issue. It isn't a disability I just learn different. My parents had to get me tested on many things in 1st grade because they were trying to hold me back. They gave me a lot of tests. The school didn't hold me back because in 1st grade my IQ was registered at 185.

I have a BS in biochemistry and working on a masters in environmental science. I just have to work really hard to memorize certain things. Advanced human A and P was very rough.

People learn different. I tried memorization techniques I found online and they helped. Good lucl

Dr Pan, Please, please, please never allow yourself to think you have a problem or disability!!!

If you need to worry about something, try figuring out how to get your gpa down around 3.0. (LoL)

By doing so, you will end up running the world.

I run a medium size company. All my subordinates all more qualified than me!

Office assistants mock/scold me daily for my spelling, grammar and writing. But they're not running the/a company.

Embrace, and enhance your GIFT!

Don't let them pigeonhole you.

I am kind of like you, with some of the same quirks. Spending much time with another person, such as a significant other, the differences in how your brains work will become evident. What seems "normal" to one will not exactly be "normal" for the other. My exes and my brains definitely worked differently, we had strengths in different areas, weaknesses in others. At first, the differences could be frustrating until we developed better understandings of each other. For example, in school I was good in math, but could not do math in my head or retain numbers in my head like he could (and our kids could), and I was good at budgeting, keeping a checkbook, schedules and being organized whereas he, not so much. I have to say, it took YEARS together for me to fully understand, and to realize my trying to "organize" him was ultimately fruitless. Our minds work differently. We all find ways to work with our minds to navigate this world. It sounds like you are good at finding what works for you. If you can have a sense of humor with each other regarding your differences, it can go a long way.

I have LD/ADHD Type 3, and work with children who has disabilities. I also have graduated HS taking AP/Honors courses.

She gets really frustrated with me sometimes and I think if there was something she could blame it on it would be easier for her to understand.

Nobody should be blaming you or your disability. In some cases a disability can serve as a strength. Look at the creator of Pokemon and the guy who created Windows... They both had autism and are super rich.

Even if you discover you have a disability doesn't mean people are going to be patient with it. There is NO guarantee your girlfriend will be more understanding... And I highly doubt she would be the kind of person to be empathetic. An understanding person would already know your faults and how to work with them, disability or not.

You should get tested to help you with schooling or career choices.

Archived