Breastfeeding while drinking

AKH2020

I and others have been watching a friend of ours breast feed their 1 year old boy while drinking for months now. It probably happens once a week or every other week at restaurants. She usually has 2-3 tall margs or 2-3 glasses of wine or champagne and breast feeds during the course of her drinks and right after. None of her girlfriends have had the guts to say anything so I finally asked the hubs and her (2 of my best friends) what was up with the drinking and breastfeeding at the same time. I asked, aren't you supposed to wait a significant amount of time after drinking to breastfeed? They said no it's fine, our pediatrician said it was totally ok...is their any pediatricians out there that would condone this?? I've done a lot of research on this and 99% of everything I read said you should wait to breastfeed after drinking anywhere from an hour to 4 or sometimes more depending on how much you drank, what type of alcohol and how much you weigh etc...Hearing from a pediatrician would be great right now but any and all opinions welcome...Thanks

The breastfeeding women I know pump and dump when drinking and then feed after awhile. If a mom has a sip or two of alcohol, its probably fine, but 3 glasses of booze - she is obviously not fully disclosing what she is doing to her doctor. Most of the time i wouldn't say anything. The whole busy body thing - but this

is a child's welfare - maybe just inquire in a friendly way -"I am just curious because i don't know about it - i thought whatever you were eating, your baby ate...." But if I were close to her, I'd slap the Mayo clinic info in her face.

I am not a pediatrician, but my cousin is

Maybe a nurse or doctor will chime in.

Maybe my approach is childish. What about suggesting "Why don't you take a break. I don't drink when we go out together, so why not give me a bottle so i can feed the baby at the table while you have a good time and drink? I am sure you could use the break to let your hair down for a little while"

I'm a pharmacist currently breastfeeding; my father-in-law is a pediatrician. There's no way her pediatrician told her to nurse while/right after drinking; she must remember wrong! If she insists on drinking, she should nurse right BEFOREhand, not after! The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) states:

"If you are going to have an alcoholic drink, it is best to do so just after you nurse or pump milk rather than before.

Allow at least 2 hours per drink before your next breastfeeding or pumping session. That way, your body will have as much time as possible to rid itself of the alcohol before the next feeding and less will reach your infant."

Direct her to this link (AAP):

Archived