I love my sales job but fear is holding me back.

I've been involved with a sales company for the last 3 years. It's a really fun place to work and I love the product I'm selling. It's direct selling so I see people in their homes and I get my own leads and book my own appointments. The problem I'm having is I'm letting fear hold me back big time. Quick back story, I had really big goals for myself when I first started in 2014 and by June of 2016, I realized I was no where close to being where I wanted to be. I got super frustrated and slightly depressed about my lack of succes. I had to end up getting another part time job to cover the bills and I'm sad to say I've only done a few appointments since June of last year (I can work as I please so there's no one telling me when and where to be). I've just been making lots of excuses the past year, promising myself I'll make phone calls tomorrow but I never do. Also, the fact I'm running low on leads isn't helping either. I know I could do really well and could see myself having an actual career with this company but I just have absolutely no confidence in myself right now. Any advice?

I'm in sales with a business-to-business company where, like you, I set my own schedule. No one would know if I stayed in bed all day!

The issue you're having, and most salespeople in our position have had at one time, is an issue of self-discipline. The only way to do it, is to do it.

Set your alarm for 6:30 a.m., and that's your wake-up time. Schedule yourself to make 10 phone calls per day, and set 3 appointments per day. When you wake up, immediately shower (or work out, of that's your schecule), dress, and act as though you're already in front of people.

Years ago, before I got into sales, I asked this older gentleman who called on our company how he was so successful. This man was known for wearing really sharp suits, shiny shoes, hair always neat. He said he dresses like that every single day, even if he's only making phone calls that day.

Archived