Should I just get married?

purple1980

So, I've been dating my boyfriend for almost 3 years now. He has a decent job. Way more than enough to support himself, but he never has any money. I know he is just spending a lot of money on careless things. Fancy food, movies all the time etc. He shouldnt be doing this stuff if he cannot afford it. He owes many people, including me and my mother, thousands of dollars. He wants to get married soon, but I am so worried about him and his financial status. He keeps saying " I'll be fine ill start budgeting, why cant you just have a little faith in me like I have in you". I feel that is a little manipulative of him to say. He has never proved to me that he can save a penny, but he wants to get married and have kids. He thinks I'm being ridiculous and it just sounds like I dont have faith and all i care about it money and dont really want to marry him. I think that just sounds foolish. He can't afford his bills! And he always says " it will be fine, I'll do it tomorrow" manyana manyana. What should I do? I really love him but he just isnt understanding how real this is and you cant just get married when you dont have your together. Thoughts? am I being crazy?

You are being practical. Some men are like that. They never give up on some bad habits. A relationship is about caring for each other's concern and i see carelessness here. I am being upfront, i see emotional blackmail here. Tell me this... on pay day, what is his priority? Paying bills and debts or spending on leisure? Certain personalities are good at flaunting while they are actually empty inside. My personal suggestion would be to retrieve your and your mother's money and think... what if this continues after marriage?

Life is not solely about money, same goes with relationships. If he was great with money but had some other flaw that might be just as bad or worse.

Relationships that last are ones where you are compatible, but also where you accept the flaws of the other.

The description you give is too cague to give a thumbs up or down, but marriage does not seem like a good idea unless your communication improves

Try to get the $ back and he may just go away and you have solved many problems at once

Being married and having kids should be about taking responsibility, and it doesn't sound as though he really understands the meaning of the word. All you can really expect from another person is that they will be themselves, and unless you want a life where plenty of money is coming in, but you as a couple are still in debt - don't marry this guy.

He may be wonderful in many respects, but he doesn't sound like husband material. Sure, he'll deal with his financial affairs "tomorrow", and "tomorrow" is when you should be agreeing to marry him

I think its funny that you are asking complete strangers in a forum if you should make a life changing decision and asking if you should just give in and marry a guy that you have been with for 3 years. Not because he is the best thing in the world or you cant live without him or that he makes your heart sing when you see him, but because its been 3 years, and Oh by the way, he is horrible with money.

It sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of it, or into it. I dont know which, but if you have to ask strangers, then you probably shouldnt do it.

Archived