Any nurses or nursing students out there!!!

Hello,

I am looking for accelerated nursing programs that I can get into. I have a bachelors degree in a non-health field. Please tell me of your experiences and what colleges you went to.

Any responses will be very much appreciated!

Joann.

My husband went through it within a local community college. Because he was bilingual and met the status quo of being a minority and male, he was offered a job as an RN. Getting a job in nursing is not entirely easy as some people say. His hours sucked and the hospital refused to schedule him any daytime hours after working there for a few years... he went back to school at a trade school to be a Sonographer.

His hours are flexible and he makes more money doing ultrasound than just nursing. He makes $10k more. It's a less technical field than nursing and has a high job market.

I would recommend ultrasound technician/Sonographer or radiology because they are less technical and take less time to get a degree in than nursing. My husband was in an 18 month program for ultrasound.

Accelerated programs are very expensive and have a lot of standardized tests. If I could do it over, I'd take all my pre-req's at a cheaper community college and then transfer to a University. I did all four years at Miami University in Ohio. We had a little more freedom as far as assignments and stuff, and our standardized tests were just used as practice. I will say though, the accelerated programs will definitely prepare you better as far as nursing skills though. I'd also ask whichever institution you choose if they have any affiliations with hospitals. That will definitely help in landing a job after graduation.

Depends where you are. Snny, I think you're in CA? Nursing market is saturated out there and very hard for now grads. Other areas are in dire need of nurses and are falling over to hire people.

This was on the East coast, when we used to live outside of D.C. I only lived in Cali for a few years as a child.

My husband got fed up of the hours (they didn't want to switch him doing daytime hours... ALL graveyard shift while all the nurses B'd about spending time with their children) and the low pay that came with it, which is why he made a career jump. He's been 10x happier working as a Sonographer.

May depend on area, but he got shafted. I know many nurses who have the same issue too even though they are thankful for having stable employment. Seriously, the OP needs to explore all options if joining the medical field before committing to it.

That is true, Snny. It really does depend where you live. I hope OP talks to people locally (or people in the area that she/he wants to move to). All I know is that where I'm from, people are dying for nurses. We have a real nursing shortage and they pay you really well too. But again, that's where I am and some other areas. Where I am, they prefer you to have a BSN if you want to do hospital work, otherwise you may be stuck working in a nurse home.

My husband went through it within a local community college. Because he was bilingual and met the status quo of being a minority and male, he was offered a job as an RN. Getting a job in nursing is not entirely easy as some people say. His hours sucked and the hospital refused to schedule him any daytime hours after working there for a few years... he went back to school at a trade school to be a Sonographer.

His hours are flexible and he makes more money doing ultrasound than just nursing. He makes $10k more. It's a less technical field than nursing and has a high job market.

I would recommend ultrasound technician/Sonographer or radiology because they are less technical and take less time to get a degree in than nursing. My husband was in an 18 month program for ultrasound.

Thanks Snny I will definitely look into it.

Archived