Slept with my ex and now i'm not sure whats next...

E111s

Me and my ex gf split up 3 months ago, she decided to leave me and stated she wasn't in love with me anymore. Before we split I was in a difficult position with family issues and in a way took it out on my ex (not physically) and ended up pushing her away. I have accepted this and understand why she left, I have used the time since the split to improve myself in all areas my ex moaned about, not for her but for myself...however I do know that she has noticed this. We have a house together and so have had little contact mainly around the property. Last week she admitted to me that she regretted her decisions and that she was sorry how she had treated me since the breakup. Out of the blue yesterday she asked to meet up and go for a walk (I still love this girl very much and strongly believe that she's the one for me...but I know I am much stronger now) i agreed to meet her. She then invited me to her house and I offered to cook her dinner, the evening was good. We both chilled out on the sofa and I could feel her trying to get closer. It got late and she asked me if I wanted to stay - I was taken back by this but thought nothing would happen so there's no harm. We got in bed together and she was very cuddly, very affectionate and we ended up having sex both in the evening and in the morning.

I text her earlier today asking how she felt about last night and whether she thought it was a mistake (which is what I expected), however she said that she was glad it happened and that she didn't think it was a mistake.

So this is where I am up to now...her affection and the fact that she didn't think it was a mistake tells me she is still interested in me. I would really like her to be in my future again however I am not sure how to approach the next few days/weeks. I don't want to stop contact with her so that she thinks I just used her, but I don't want to come on too strong. I feel that this is the start of a new relationship and not trying to carry on the previous one. Any advice/any others thoughts towards this would be great!! Thanks.

This sounds like you are setting yourself up for an eventual fall when you have just thrown all in again and she bails, again.

I think the ball is in her court and you just need to wait for her to take the next step. While I am a romantic and would love to see it work out again, if she does want to give it another go, you must be prepared in case she comes back, rediscovers why she ended it last time and to again leave. I'm not saying it will happen, just to be prepared should it.

Ok at this point you don't know if it's a "closure" or lonely or whatever thing for her so play this slowly. Pull way back and only communicate if it's necessary for severing ties.

Of course if you never address the original problems, a reconciliation will be a fiasco.

At least you are getting the house situation squared away so it will make it easier to move forward. It sounds like she's given it a lot of consideration and is done, despite lingering feelings, nostalgia, etc.

Do the self-improvements and dating for you, not to 'craft an image' on social media hoping she sees it/cares.

It's just prolonging the pain and clearly has no impact on her decisions, as you can see with her wanting to move forward with severing all former ties. Moving out and selling joint homes/assets is a huge and permanent step away from a relationship..

Take it for face value. As in, it happened and it may or may not have been a moment of weakness. Don't let it happen again. But if she does pursue, of course see where it can go. Take things slowly if she comes calling. Also, don't forget to communicate feelings or difficulties when/if they arise, but don't burden her with too much info because she may still be gun-shy to pull the trigger on anything serious.

Thanks for your help guys. She messaged me last night about wanting to return the favour and cook me dinner and I had some post to deliver anyway so I agreed to go round. Very much the same, had an early night, I offered to go home but she didn't want me too. This morning she said to me "What do we do now?", I was unsure what she meant and I said that I was unsure where this was going so couldn't really answer her question, her response was "Where do you think this is going?" in a sarcastic/funny way, as if I should have known - it seems like she wants to get back with me but is unsure how. When she moved out she rented her own place which she is tied into for a 6 month period, her actions since the breakup (very rash and selfish) have caused controversy between my family, something of which I don't think she knows how to repair. I said that lets just take it day by day, there are obviously still feelings there but we don't need to rush into anything. I'm just going to cool it down now, I'm not doing NC but I'm not going to smother her, I know she is busy for a couple of evenings so might reach out to her at the weekend, but things are good...they seem to be moving in a positive direction. I know its a risky game, but for the last couple of weeks I've seen signs of regret and do believe that she wants to be with me. As I said before, taking each day as it comes...

Thanks for your help guys. She messaged me last night about wanting to return the favour and cook me dinner and I had some post to deliver anyway so I agreed to go round. Very much the same, had an early night, I offered to go home but she didn't want me too. This morning she said to me "What do we do now?", I was unsure what she meant and I said that I was unsure where this was going so couldn't really answer her question, her response was "Where do you think this is going?" in a sarcastic/funny way, as if I should have known - it seems like she wants to get back with me but is unsure how. When she moved out she rented her own place which she is tied into for a 6 month period, her actions since the breakup (very rash and selfish) have caused controversy between my family, something of which I don't think she knows how to repair. I said that lets just take it day by day, there are obviously still feelings there but we don't need to rush into anything. I'm just going to cool it down now, I'm not doing NC but I'm not going to smother her, I know she is busy for a couple of evenings so might reach out to her at the weekend, but things are good...they seem to be moving in a positive direction. I know its a risky game, but for the last couple of weeks I've seen signs of regret and do believe that she wants to be with me. As I said before, taking each day as it comes...

Taking it day by day is the best. She has to really prove herself now.

Taking it day by day is the best. She has to really prove herself now.

Aside from that, you also have to prove yourself to her. It isn't one sided. It never is, regardless of what went down. You said you took things out on her, and that made her unhappy, so she left. What does she have to prove to you? That she is regretful of her decisions? Don't let her fight for this relationship if you want it just as much. That's just a piss poor way to approach a NEW relationship, which is how you both should view it. Clear the air with her, when you're born ready to talk about it, actually sit and discuss issues and what you both think needs to be addressed for things to progress. Then make the changes that are needed and hopefully, if the universe wills it, this second attempt will lead you both to happiness and love.

Archived