Confess To Crush?

Alinator

I've liked this guy for 4 months now. But, we've also been friends for 4 months. We talked everyday, literally because we have the same class, and text almost everyday. And I, really really like him. He is the longest crush I ever had too. Just a few days ago he told me that he has a "crush" on these 2 girls. One has a boyfriend and the other is in 12th grade and she will not be at our school next year. I wrote crush like that because he doesn't even KNOW them. He just thinks they are attractive and personally, I think that doesn't mean you like them. But, I am still super jealous, angry, and upset. But what makes it suck more is that he is my friend and I really don't wanna lose him. But, I feel like if he "likes" someone else (even though he doesn't have a chance with either of them) then he should know I like him. I want him to know. But, I don't know how he will react. I'm really half and half on this. I'm thinking, if I have no chance with him anyway, why not let him know? But, things could also get ruined. He told me that he is bad at telling if someone likes him or not. Like, obviously... It just makes me angry knowing that they caught his eye and never even spoke to him, when I have been here the whole time. I'm very much aware that feelings are uncontrollable. I just don't know what to do. I would be fine with rejection if it meant that he is still in my life. I don't how to deal with this either.

Hi Ali,

Ah, young "love". It's a beautiful thing for us old, jaded fogies to behold

You're right that you should probably tell him. Not doing so is definitely going to lead to resentment on your part. Have you ever flirted with him? Yes, you're friends, but have you ever shown any obvious signs of interest beyond that? Like batting eyelashes, touching his arm, winking, jokey innuendo, straight-up telling him he's cute? If not, maybe try doing that for a while. Also, since the end of the school year is coming up, see if he wants to hang out with you over the summer. That alone should tell you a lot about his feelings. (Side note: as an extremely awkward girl, I had a terrible time with this during high school and as a result never dated. I literally spent six years in middle/high school, four years of college, and most of an additional year just being friends with my crush before I had the balls to tell him. We ended up together for over three years and are still friends now, and it was worth it...but man, I wasted a lot of time! Don't be like I was.)

When you feel the time is right, just be straight forward with him: you like him as more than a friend and are wondering if he might have a similar feeling. It's risky because you could lose all chance at a friendship if he doesn't share those feelings, but the risk is so, so worth the potential reward.

Good luck, and definitely keep us updated!

Thank you so much!!

I'm not very good at flirting... but I have told him he is cute before. He didn't really think anything of it honestly. Also, sometimes we share a drink and almost everytime we go to hand it to eachother, my hand either brushes against his (I do it on purpose) or his brush against mine. Would that count as flirting?? I've tried to ask him to hangout outside of school many times, but he always denies. I know its nothing against me, its just not a thing he does. He is just really complicated. How should tell him? Over text or in person? I'd prefer over text honestly... Next time I'll see him though, is on Thursday.

And wow, I can't believe you went so long!!

Archived