LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 98 of 103 FirstFirst ... 9596979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

Originally Posted by maritalbliss86
    And on your old boss thank goodness you're not there anymore!
    He was terrible!!!!!! He's not the only one, either. The place was infested with people like him.

this boss sounds nice and easy to communicate with. Good luck!
    Yes, reasonable and makes an effort to be kind!

Thanks!

How's the knee? Has it gotten better? My foot is nearly healed, but not 100%. At least I'm not hobbling anymore.

A lot better. I was able to do squats on Saturday without any issue.

This was my knee on the fist day, about an hour after I smashed it. It was very swollen, and I was pretty worried:

This was my knee yesterday. The swelling is mostly gone. I find the bruising to be very interesting. I managed to bruise my shin, and the whole side of my calf is discolored. But those areas are not painful. My kneecap is still warm to the touch, and it hurts if I push on the abrasions (duh). But otherwise, it feels fine.

Thanks for asking :)

Glad your foot feels better.

I worked much of the weekend, probably in excess of ten hours, but I still don't know if I will make the deadline. Something really irritating happened on Friday, which is the truss manufacturer came back with a truss that was smaller than what we specified for the roof of my building. Since this is just a pricing set, my boss said we should adjust our drawings to reflect the truss. If I was using Revit, this change could happen pretty fast, but I am using AutoCAD, plain AutoCAD, not even AutoCAD Architecture, so every change needs to be redrawn. These are the things that keep setting me back time-wise.

Nevertheless, I slept well and feel ok this morning. Stress will probably kick back in when I hit the office.

Glad the knee's on the mend!

Good that you slept well, amazing what a good nights sleep can do.

Wow that is a lot of stress though! I would definitely have my anxiety kicking in and making life harder.

Can they let you get updated software programs to make things faster, since they seem to expect you to deal with the changes and still hit original deadlines? If it were me, I'd probably ask for the updated programs I'd need, or at least suggest it as a possibility in the future.

Can they let you get updated software programs to make things faster, since they seem to expect you to deal with the changes and still hit original deadlines? If it were me, I'd probably ask for the updated programs I'd need, or at least suggest it as a possibility in the future.
    It's not that simple, unfortunately. AutoCAD and Revit both require different work flows. It's a big change for an office to go from AutoCAD to Revit. Many never fully make it and end up using a combination of both, which is dumb. And Revit comes with its own baggage. One major issue is that it's a very challenging program to learn, and a costly transition for a company to undertake.

I have nudged a little in favor of Revit. Part of me hopes that my former coworker, Joe, comes on board because we can get a revit project rolling with momentum between the two of us.

But actually, it turns out that I was stressed for nothing! Today was just the due date for the progress set.

We have two weeks to finish the set!!! Ahhhh what a wonderful discovery that was this morning.

I actually knew that, too. I just somehow forgot. I guess I'm just used to having unreasonable deadlines.

Well, the client got a pretty complete set.... let's hope they don't change too much (they will).

I think one of my neighbors is a creep.

He moved in here last October, I think. 2019. He took an apartment down the hall from us.

At some point during his move in, I heard all of the racket and peeped my head out of my door to see what was going on.

A little later that evening, or perhaps the next evening, there was a knock on my door. It was the new guy from down the hall. He said, "Hey, I think I saw your husband just come in. Do you think he could help me lift my TV onto its stand?"

Arnold was away all week in Seattle for work, the first time we were ever apart for more than a day or two. This guy definitely did not see Arnold come into my apartment. So, immediately, I was skeeved and suspicious. I said, "He just ran out, sorry. Try someone else," and I pointed to the two other doors in our hallway.

I didn't offer to send Arnold later (not that I could have!). I didn't offer to help the guy myself. No way. It was too weird. Plus, the guy was a least 6 feet tall and looked like he could pick up a frickin TV set with his thumb and forefinger and toss it across a room like a nerf ball.

For the rest of the week, the guy left his door open for long periods of time during the day, like he lived in a dorm. This is a middle-aged man, older than me, perhaps even in his 50s. What's up with the dorm lifestyle, dude? When Arnold got home, he saw it too. He was like, what the eff?

So, the guy hasn't come knocking around my door since then, but he's freaking annoying. He seems to constantly lose his keys. I remember one time, I heard him knocking on my neighbor's door at like 11PM because he lost his key. Like, what's this poor guy going to do for you but lose sleep?

Then someone started leaving notes on one of the dryers in the laundry room, complaining that it was broken. I'm pretty sure that this was the new guy, because it never happened before that. I found it irritating and also pretty humorous. Like, why are you unable to deal with this? The service number is on the wall. Call it. If you are for some reason unable to call the service people, call the flippin superintendent!!! Use your pointer finger. Don't just leave a note on a broken machine.

Eventually, I started replying anonymously to these notes, advising the complainer to call his mom and have her deal with it. Arnold still doesn't know that this was me.... hehe.... he would disapprove.

Today, I heard my across-the-hall neighbor's buzzer go off, and then I heard conversation in the hallway.

"Sounds like that idiot locked himself out, again," I said to Arnold.

Arnold said, "He does that all the time during the week. He just rings everyone's doorbell until someone lets him in."

I was like, "What?"

He was like, "Yeah. He did it the other day. Someone let him in, and I stuck my head out the door to see who it was. When the guy saw me looking, he said, 'What's up.' I said, 'So do you just mash all the buttons until somebody lets you in?' He said, 'Yeah. Sorry about that. I lost my key. Thanks for letting me in.' I said, 'No problem,' even though I wasn't the one who let him in."

Uggh. Annoying.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Two Saturdays ago, I went to the wedding of one of my high school friends. My boyfriend and I knew lots of people there from when we were in HS, so we had fun reminiscing (and reeling over how much time had passed).

There was a guy at the wedding who I haven't seen in probably 15 years. His name is Tim, and my friends and I used to hang out with him and his friends when we were 17-18 yo and they were 21+ yo. He dated my friend Alicia for about 4 years. They had the most dramatic relationship. Always fighting.

I lost touch with Tim after HS, but ran into him again when I was in my mid-20s. I'd always known Tim was a heavy drinker, but this time I could see that he was an alcoholic. We hung out once or twice, but I felt sorry for him and therefore avoided him until he disappeared. It's hard for me to tolerate people that I don't respect.

Last weekend, I saw him again after probably 15 years. He looked really old, and was (unsurprisingly) still a heavy drinker. I learned that he'd been married for about 8 years, had two children under 10, and was in the process of divorcing his wife. I also learned that he was secretly dating a married mutual friend of ours (Jessica), who was conspicuously absent from the wedding that night.

I don't know what is going on with Jessica. We're friends, but other people are closer friends with her than I am. I hear a lot of strange things about Jessica....

....She has a secret life where she's been seeing Tim for 9 months. Tim was surprised that none of us knew that they were seeing each other. Apparently, she'd told him that all of us knew!! Jessica is some kind of DEEP liar. A few weeks ago, she made this big thing about never receiving an invitation to the wedding--to the point where the bride photographed the invitation and basically said, "Here, you're invited." During the wedding reception, Jessica group-texted me and my friends saying she was still at work, and how's the wedding. Then she texted that she was on her way. It was after this that I found out about her and Tim. So when she didn't show up at all, I realized she'd been setting everyone up for weeks.

Like anyone even cared!! It's so frickin weird and unnecessary.
    Wow, almost three years to the day.... Almost.

Well, Tim died. End of September. Meant to post about it then, but forgot. And I was just looking for something in my old posts and found ^this one^ from three years ago.

My friend said it may have been his kidneys, but I suspect it was either cirrhosis of the liver or suicide. Sadly.

Despite the fact that he looked a wreck and acted a wreck, many people loved him and he will be missed. He had two young children...

The last time he and I actually hung out, I was probably about 26. It was July 4th. He got so shtface drunk. Kept trying to kiss me in the middle of the fireworks.

He did an epic faceplant on the sidewalk and some car full of kids pulled off to the side and started hooting and hollering at him.

Well, that really pissed me off. I didn't just yell at them, I screamed like a btch of the damned right into their car, wordless raging, fists clenched, muscles flexed in my halter top, teeth bared, face screwed up like a banshee. Over and over.

There is really a beast within me, boy. I still get pumped up thinking about it, even though another part of me is rolling her eyes.

Those kids got serious real fast. Unfortunately, they were stuck in the July fourth traffic, so they could only eek away slowly. Complete silence in the car. Total horror on the one boy's face. Poor kid thought he had an easy mark, lol.

I helped Tim up off the sidewalk and walked him home. He thought what I did was hilarious. Loved me for it. But I didn't want to hang out with him after that. I felt pity for him and I can't tolerate that feeling. I guess I do understand what "live and let die" means.... huh.

I'm glad I stood up for him.

I posted this picture a while back. It's from my prom 25 years ago.... he's fourth from the right, the one looking elsewhere. I think some part of him was always looking to escape.

Originally Posted by Jibralta

Page 98 of 103 FirstFirst ... 9596979899100101 ... LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice