Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 93 of 98 FirstFirst ... 90919293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

I get that.. the frustration. I always hated school actually, had a lot of paranoia about it (part of my childhood). It blocked me from learning things in general so I'd say even though I had everything on paper, all the degrees and licences, I actually hated it and found learning new things pretty hard. I'd start something and then freeze. I honestly don't know how I made it through or did what I did. I definitely wasn't a conscious learner, more able to memorize and apply without a problem. I didn't enjoy any of it. If I think about the things I can do enjoyably start to finish it would be things that didn't involve any intense pressure or childhood trauma or breaks in perception or low self-worth back then.

Hope you can get back to doing things enjoyably too.. soon! Start to finish.. one day at a time.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Well, Max is going on vacation this week, so the company has to shift crews again. Looks like I'm getting stuck with the stoners, Jason and Albert.

I'm not looking forward to wrangling these yo-yos.
    Off to an aggravating start.

Due to logistics, Jason and Albert will hit 80 hours well before I do, which will leave me stuck with about 3 more days of work than them.

Let me explain how and why.

First of all, we are obligated to work 80 hours every time we go up there. The company does not care how quickly we get this done. So, we usually try to work 10-hour days for 8 days straight so that we can go home and have a 6-day weekend.

There are three crews up there. Two crews (Jean and Ron, Mike and me) travel about 3.5 hours to get to our lodging (unit 8B). Most of our job sites are within an hour's travel of our digs.

The third crew (Jason and Albert) works in another county, north of the county that we are working in. Jason and Albert travel 5 hours to get to their lodging, and most of their job sites are within an hour of where they stay.

This week, Jason and Albert will be travelling 3 hours per day, round trip, to work with me. This particular job site is within 5 minutes travel of my lodging.

Travel time is included in our billable hours. So, Jason and Albert will bill 3 hours for travel, and 7 hours for actual work. Since the job site is so local to me, I won't be able to bill travel time. I will just be able to bill 7 hours of work.

So, for every 10 hours that Jason and Albert can bill, I will only be able to bill about 7. If we work 8 days straight, they will have 80 hours, and I will have 56 hours. They will go home, and I will be stuck up there for 2 - 3 more days. Doing what? I don't know, because it's not really solo work.

Since Max is going to be on vacation, we have an extra room at unit 8B. I offered this room to Jason and Albert, in the hopes that they would be willing to stay local and eliminate their travel time.

They said "no." Unfortunately (and unsurprisingly), they see the travel time as easy money. They are either oblivious or don't really give a sh*t that I'm getting screwed.

If I was 22 years old, I'm sure I would probably see things the same way: Me first.

They are friendly guys, and what you would call "good kids." But they are are so entitled and oblivious. It's really frustrating.

It's also not completely their fault. This company does not have a good grasp on the field operations, and due to this incompetence disparities like this often fall through the cracks.

Their Director of Survey, Jim, is a moron. He makes terrible decisions.

In my opinion, Max should really be in charge of this whole operation, but Jim has been with the company for three years, and Max has only been their or 9 months.

I would make the change in a heartbeat. But I guess the owners feel loyalty towards Jim.

Uggh.

Any time that I have to listen to Jim speak, I want to punch myself in the face.

It's like in the movie Airplane!, when Striker keeps telling his story to whoever is seated next to him, and that person ends up committing suicide.

It's that bad.

I think the worst thing is that Jim filibusters and lies to cover his ass when he overlooks something.

He overlooks a lot.

Jim's going to be coming up with us this week. I think I'm probably going to end up killing him. He's so annoying and counterproductive.

I wish I didn't get so triggered by liars.

I'm going to meet with him on Thursday or Friday. At the very least, I'll plant the seed and have a potential option if my current employer doesn't keep their end of the bargain with me.
    I chickened out.

When I was there, it didn't seem like Joe's work load was great enough to support two people.

But we are currently working on a project together (my friend's house), so I will have frequent contact with him and will keep an eye open for opportunity.

The farther I get into my career, the more I understand the concept of "Serenity Now" lol.

Went for a nice long walk and started to feel better about next week, which really looks like it's going to be a massive sh*t show.

Now that I am back in my apartment, I am ruminating and stewing again....

I like to write about these things to get them off my chest, but sometimes I wonder if it just fuels the fire.

Keeping busy will help keep my mind off of the issue. But part of me feels like keeping busy is a cop-out, like I'm trying to avoid the problem.

That's so silly, though. The problem is not solvable from here, at this moment. It's in the future, and hasn't fully manifested.

I really don't know how it will go, so there's no point in worrying.

My mind can be really absurd sometimes.

I guess that's anxiety for you.

Platinum Member
    I chickened out.

When I was there, it didn't seem like Joe's work load was great enough to support two people.

But we are currently working on a project together (my friend's house), so I will have frequent contact with him and will keep an eye open for opportunity.
    I think it would be great if you could do small projects on the side. More importantly, you will start meeting more potential clients which is basically everything. If you want to strike out on your own, it's not a bad opportunity to begin with.

It seems you were happier and more satisfied with the job you had a couple of years ago, not the last one, the one before. If my memory serves me right, you left because they didn't give you the 20% raise you wanted. Maybe you could bargain a higher salary now that you have more experience if they have a position available.

Originally Posted by dias
    I think it would be great if you could do small projects on the side. More importantly, you will start meeting more potential clients which is basically everything. If you want to strike out on your own, it's not a bad opportunity to begin with.
    Yes, I agree. I've done it in the past, but I stopped when I started to feel like I was working all the time. Now we have this project with my friend's house, so I might as well look at it as an opportunity.

Originally Posted by dias
    It seems you were happier and more satisfied with the job you had a couple of years ago, not the last one, the one before. If my memory serves me right, you left because they didn't give you the 20% raise you wanted. Maybe you could bargain a higher salary now that you have more experience if they have a position available.
    Before I go further, let's call the job from a couple years ago Job One. Call my last job, Job Two, and call my current job, Job Three.

Job One was a well-oiled machine. I was very happy there. I had the highest respect for my managers.

I did leave Job One in part because of the money. But I also left because I didn't want to get too off-track in my career trajectory. Job One specialized in Civil Works Planning and, while there was some relevant experience to be gained, it didn't overlap with architecture enough for me to stay indefinitely. So, Job One was always sort of a temporary gig (even though I stayed for five years!).

I asked Job One for a 13%-14% raise. For various reasons (not entirely the fault of my then-managers), Job One delayed and delayed, and I eventually started submitting my resume to other companies. My plan was to get a good offer from another company and bring it to Job One as negotiating leverage for my 14% increase.

But when I applied and interviewed at Job Two, they offered me 19% more than what I was making at Job One. Plus, Job Two was an architecture company, not simply an engineering company like Job One. So, I decided to take Job Two.

When I handed in my resignation at Job One, my then-boss, Tim, actually offered me a 25% raise if I stayed with them. However, I turned down that extra 5% because I felt that I needed to focus on gaining more architectural experience.

And, you know, I gained it. It was a high price to pay, but I got what I went there for.

Interestingly, Job Three is like a combination of Job One and Job Two. One of the owners, Simon, actually knows my old bosses and some of my former coworkers from Job One!

But so far, Simon is nowhere near as organized as they were.
    Last edited by Jibralta; 09-13-2020 at 09:09 AM.

for every 10 hours that Jason and Albert can bill, I will only be able to bill about 7. If we work 8 days straight, they will have 80 hours, and I will have 56 hours. They will go home, and I will be stuck up there for 2 - 3 more days. Doing what? I don't know, because it's not really solo work.

Since Max is going to be on vacation, we have an extra room at unit 8B. I offered this room to Jason and Albert, in the hopes that they would be willing to stay local and eliminate their travel time.

They said "no." Unfortunately (and unsurprisingly), they see the travel time as easy money. They are either oblivious or don't really give a sh*t that I'm getting screwed.
    Ok, I think I may have solved my problem.

Max originally wanted me to work with Albert and have Jason work solo on a small tributary. That would have locked me into Albert's and Jason's travel schedule, since they commute together from the same place.

But I just proposed to Mike that after I train them, I cut Albert and Jason loose to work together on the larger part of the system. I would then work solo on the tributary. This way, my work schedule will be independent of Albert's and Jason's arrival and departure. They can accumulate as many hours as they want at whatever rate they want, and it won't affect me.

Max was amenable. I just have to sell it to the boys. And hopefully Jim won't throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

I just have to sell it to the boys. And hopefully Jim won't throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing.
    Yesssssssssssss..... sold it to the boys. Kind of figured they'd go for it, but you never know.

Last potential obstacle: Jim.

I'll just see what happens with him once we're up there.

Page 93 of 98 FirstFirst ... 90919293949596 ... LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice