LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 596061626364 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

My mom sent this to me.

Definitely captures something about me as a kid.

Well, I was never exactly Batman. But I was Darth Vader for Halloween when I was six.

I f*cking loved Darth Vader.

I was a weird kid.

I went to a meeting with Ivan a couple weeks ago. He drove.

I've described Ivan as a diva. I don't know if that's what he is, but it's the best word I can find to describe his personality. He's very nit-picky, and very inconsistent. Those two qualities make for an unpredictable personality.

Ivan is also prone to mood swings. I'm told it's due to dips in his blood sugar level, caused by his diabetes. I'm sure that's part of it. I also think he entertains himself by taking a bite out of people sometimes. He likes to get a rise out of us.

In contrast to his fluctuating moods, he has a plodding, methodical way of problem-solving and is quickly frustrated when he information starts flying at him from different directions. His approach to problem solving reminds me of a tortoise. His temper, not so much.

I haven't really cracked the code on Ivan yet.

My experience with him has been fine. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

He's taken a bite out of me a few times, but mostly he leaves me alone. I don't think he makes sense all of the time, but I can tolerate his idiosyncrasies because I know he's not an insecure, mindless, egotistical assh*le. And I still appreciate the immediate, direct way in which he addressed my issue with Frank.

Anyway, as I was saying, Ivan and I drove to and from a meeting together. I let him set his methodical pace for the in-car chitchat.

As we left the client's office and merged onto the highway, a large tractor trailer truck merged rapidly onto the ramp next to us, on my side of the car. I made an uh-oh sound at the speed of the truck's approach.

Ivan said offhandedly, with his typical indifferent intonation, "Don't worry; I'll protect you."

I don't know why I thought that was so funny.

I also sensed that it was a glimpse of his true nature and disposition.

I don't want to look at my phone right now because my gym is trying to screw me out of a bunch of money.

I prepaid for an entire year back in December/January.

However, for the last few months, I haven't been able to go due to this ongoing back/neck issue I've been having.

Finally, I asked my chiropractor write me a note. The note said that he didn't want me to go back for 6 months.

According to the agreement, I could cancel my membership with this note.

Well, I had a text message conversation last night with some dude from the gym. When we got down to brass tacks, he said he couldn't give me a refund. He said, "You signed an agreement." Like I was a little kid who didn't know what responsibility was.

I wanted to shove the phone up his ass. But instead, I explained to him what the agreement said and why he owed me money. I told him I would sue the gym if they tried to keep my money.

He apologized and said he had to talk to the owner.

My phone dinged an hour ago and I've been avoiding looking at it. I don't want to get pissed off.

Today was so busy at work! I hardly had time to think straight.

I had plans to work on one project, but then an older project reared its head and I spent a couple hours answering questions for that client.

In the middle of it, I got pulled into a meeting with a vendor that lasted for 1.5 hours.

When I got out of that meeting, the plumbing engineer came to my desk and asked if I'd completed my unit mixes for the building--everything today, with both projects, seemed to revolve around unit mixes.

Weird.

These past few weeks, I've mainly been working for Mitchell. It's been great. Occasionally, I do have to work on a project for Ivan or Frank, but this is basically limited to projects that were in process when I started working for Mitchell.

Today, something interesting happened with Frank's project. This is the project that I inherited from a person who left the firm, and which Frank was giving me such a hard time about. I worked on it from January through March, roughly speaking. After I stopped working on it, our structural team continued to do redesigns (that is a whole 'nother stupid story, but I won't get into it now).

This morning, the structural engineer came to my desk and told me he made a bunch of columns wider. So, I went through the drawings with him to check which columns were ok, and flag those that would cause problems.

There were quite a lot of changes, and it started to occur to me that we were now looking at a redesign/change of scope situation. I said as much to Joe, and he said something like, "Well, apparently the client hasn't been paying, so I don't know how much more work we [structure dept] are going to do on it after this submission."

I remembered that statement a couple of hours later, when I got an email from the client asking me to forward CAD drawings to their designer. I immediately forwarded the email to Frank and asked if this was something he wanted me to do.

Sending CAD files to an outside party can subject us to a certain amount of liability. Not to mention the fact that we are basically sending our intellectual property out for someone else to pirate and/or manipulate.

In addition to this, a couple of things have happened with this project that struck me as shady, not the least of which was the seemingly endless stream of signed and sealed sets that Frank kept asking me to send out when the client clearly had what they needed for their permit review.

Instead of waiting for Frank to respond (he slipped out for lunch), I went to the our billing and finance people and told them of my plight. They agreed that it would be a bad idea for me to send the CAD files. They would talk to the boss (Mark) and let me know what to do.

A little while later, Frank responded to my email saying that even though he didn't like the "smell" of the client's email, I should go ahead and send the CAD files out. He came to my desk a couple minutes later to elaborate and no doubt bestow upon me another valuable 'learning moment' (did I ever tell that story? Oh god).

I stopped him before he started talking and told him that I'd forwarded the email to billing/finance on account of the fact that we never cleared up the contact info for the actual project owner (which is true), and that they told me not to forward the CAD. Frank was content with that. He made some comments about how they owe us money and how all those print jobs we sent out weren't so expensive.

Not long after, I received an email from Mark basically telling me to tell the client that they can't have the CAD until they pay their bill. So, that's what I did.

I find it amazing that everyone but Frank seemed to know what to do in this scenario. I really don't understand how he is useful at all.

Goddamned Frank. Life has been so nice without him. I wish he would just disappear forever.

Alas, he persists in bothering me.

Today, at 3PM, he came to my desk and asked me to print that goddamned 150+ page set for the 7th fcking time. Once again, totally unrealistic time frame.

I gave him the biggest attitude. Well, I gave him a hard stare and some sort of expression that indicated extreme annoyance. This flustered him, and I didn't care. He said, "I'm sorry to be such an annoyance," and I just raised my eyebrows at him, like "Are you."

Finally, he slunk off into the print room to arrange something with the print guy. He came back and basically told me that the guys there would take care of it, all I had to do was put the files in the correct place. I agreed to take it from there.

I went to the print room to talk to Damien about the job. I told him that I almost killed Frank. He said, "I know. He told me."

I thought that was funny. Frank is some kind of weakling, for sure.

The last few weeks at my job were pretty eventful for some of my coworkers. Two of them, Larry and Brian, quit. One of them (Mitch) is probably going to get reprimanded in the near future for being a persistent dckhead.

I'll really miss Brian. He used to sit right near me. He was like a ray of sunshine shining down upon our little section of the building. A couple of us bantered back and forth all day and had a grand ol time. When he left, it was a little like a punch in the gut.

Larry was a slightly uptight sort of guy, but he was really easy to work with. He was just starting to relax a little when he suddenly left. I think he got a hard time from some of his peers in the engineering department, possibly because he was a Revit guy. CAD-based hostilities aren't limited to architects.

Mitch is generally an ok guy. But when things don't go his way he tends to view them as acts of aggression by others.

The incident that seems to have set things in motion occurred suddenly on a Thursday morning, about three weeks ago. Mitch came storming out of the engineering department and shouted, "Brian!!! Get down here right now!!' Then he stormed back to his department.

We all just sort of sat there, stunned. Who talks to people like that? I mean, if you're yelling at your own kids in your own house, or even if you're a teacher wrangling a few miscreants, I get it. But this is an office.

Brian decided to disobey Mitch and not follow him down to the engineering department. I'm not exactly sure how that whole situation played out, but during the next few hours, I believe that Brian resolved Mitch's technical issue with the assistance of Ivan and another engineer, cutting Mitch out of the equation completely.

The antipathy between Brian and Mitch dissipated, but didn't fully resolve. And I suspect Mitch felt like an ass after his immature wanna-be-father-like outburst.

The following Tuesday, Larry came up to Brian and basically said, "Hey, you changed a couple of things on your drawings and that really messed things up for us." It was not a hostile exchange, but I could tell Brian was taking offense.

One thing about Brian that was not-so-good was that his slight seniority over some of the non-licensed individuals in the office was starting to go to his head. He adopted a slightly imperious way of speaking that made me cringe at times. I attributed this to his age (32) and relative inexperience. I often felt glad that he had no authority over me because I think that would have gotten ugly fast.

So, when Larry brought the issue up to Brian, Brian responded in a semi-condescending and dismissive way that made Larry go away, but did not make the problem go away. Larry instead brought the problem to Brian's semi-subordinate, Ariel. When Brian saw this, he went over to speak to both of them and the resulting fuss brought Ivan out from his den to question the goings-on.

That's always the worst thing that can happen at times like this because when Ivan gets involved in a coworker debate, there are no winners. And so it was in this case.

Unbeknownst to Brian, Ivan had told the engineers to stop working on the project altogether. This revelation made Brian look and feel like a fool. Not long after that, he said, "I'm going for a walk" and left the building.

When he didn't return two hours later, Ariel texted him to find out where he was. Brian said he would be back tomorrow, and that he was doing something work-related.

Another not-so-great thing about Brian: He had terrible attendance. He called out at the drop of a hat. I don't know how many sick days he took, but it was a lot. Plus, when things got too intense for him, he'd actually take the rest of the day off! So, this behavior was not unusual and we all expected him to return the following morning.

I believe that Brian also fully expected to return the following morning, as well. But that's not what happened.

I'll talk more about that tomorrow.

To be continued...
    Last edited by Jibralta; 05-23-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Platinum Member
    OMG you left us all hanging!

Platinum Member
    My niece is getting married this weekend. When she was five, her favorite joke was:
    Knock knock
    Who's there
    Cheerios
    Cheerios who?
    It's a serial, I'll tell you later

Platinum Member
    Hmmm... maybe you could do a choose your own ending activity.

Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 596061626364 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice