LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

Originally Posted by journeynow
    I'm curious, Jibralta, do you have experience in the military? I may be wrong, but it may be that this isn't about you and your degrees, but that perhaps he feels your experience doesn't relate to his, and he can't relate to you (which isn't really personal). Or he may be going through the roller coaster that comes with retirement and transition.
    Well, this is actually the crux of the issue that the mentoring program seeks to address: many former military people do feel alienated from the civilian world, and have a difficult time transitioning. So this program creates partnerships between civilians like me and military people like him to confront those very issues. So if that's the source of his current anxiety, this is a very good opportunity to address that problem.

He told me himself, at the very beginning of our first conversation, that he felt intimidated by my degrees. I didn't come up with that myself. Sooner or later, I'm sure he will be able to get past that issue. But maybe not with me.

My beloved little dog died today. My mom put her to sleep. She was quite old, I think nearly 17, but she was such a fighter that we held out as long as we could. Last October she got very sick. She contracted Giardiasis, which is a parasite that affects puppies and old dogs. She was so ill and lost so much weight that we though she would die. But she didn't. The poor thing could barely walk, and more than once my mom found her collapsed and passed out near her water bowl. She was like that for several months. During that time, if my mom had plans on weekend days, I'd go over and keep an eye on the dog. Then just as she was getting better, she got pancreatitis! Poor thing. She pulled through, but the ordeal aged her and a lot of her spark disappeared. But then it returned for a short while, right before my mom moved to Florida! When I got to her house, my dog practically bounded towards me (as much as she could!) and she even had the bitey little smile she always gave me, where she'd pretend to bite my face. I miss her. She was such a good girl.

Platinum Member
    So sorry to hear about your loss!

Thanks

It sucks, but it feels good knowing that she had a good life and was loved by everyone who met her. What a charmer she was.

I really like my bosses. There are two of them. They're sort of like a dynamic duo. One guy is the muscle, the other is the brains. They're both really intelligent, actually. But one of them is like Superbrain.

I feel like they want me to succeed, and that is a nice feeling to have.

Oh. . I am sorry about your fur baby.
    I lost mine earlier this year. I knew it would be hard but the I was a little unprepared.
    It's a shame we only get to keep them for just a short time.
    You gave her a wonderful life.

Thanks, nutbrownhare. I'm glad to have known her. Sorry to hear that you lost your pet as well. You're right, it's not fair that we can't have them longer!

My boyfriend is a bit of a micro-manager. Actually, his myers-briggs personality type is often described as a drill sergeant, parent, or guardian. He loves to establish rules and follow them. He approaches problems in a very regimented, linear way.

I myself walk the line between INTJ and INTP. I'm a generalist, a big-picture thinker, not particularly interested in rules. Also, my ADHD makes me a world class scatterbrain. I have good problem-solving skills, but I have a very poor linear thought-process. I don't have patience for tiny little details when there's a bigger problem to be solved. But I am prone to hyper-focusing on minutia once I start working on the problem.

We work pretty well together.

The only thing is, sometimes he overcompensates for my tendency to forget/lose things and that screws me up even more. For example, he'll grab my car keys and my wallet on our way out, because I inevitably forget them. But believe it or not, there is actually method to my madness and when I remember what I forgot and its not where it's supposed to be, it starts a whole nother thread in my brain and anything that was there before is now wiped out by this one pressing issue of where the f did my car keys go?

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Thanks, nutbrownhare. I'm glad to have known her. Sorry to hear that you lost your pet as well. You're right, it's not fair that we can't have them longer!
    Reinventmyself, why in the world did I think you were nutbrownhare??? So sorry!

I created this thing for an art class in 1995. We were making ceiling tiles for the Ceramics room in my high school. I painted a 2'-0" x 4'-0" piece of matboard with some watercolors, then drew on it with magic marker. The idea was to cover the board with these intricate little designs, but I didn't really plan correctly. The detail was so minuscule that I became overwhelmed and gave up.

[IMG] ]

Here is a detail of the mushroom:

[IMG] ]

The teacher, Mr. Morris, was lenient and said, "I know that, even if you are 80, you will finish this." And he gave me an A or a B or whatever. Bottom line is, I didn't have to finish it, but I left with this vast sense of obligation and this stupid piece of cardboard has been sitting in my mom's basement ever since. It got damaged by flood water (you can see traces of that damage on the right side, most obviously in the top right corner where the ink got diluted), but even still, I wouldn't throw it out.

My mom moved, and now it's living with me in my tiny apartment. I kind of hate it. I resent the obligation, but also there's a creepy side of the story that I never told anyone about. Here it is: I visited my high school the year after I graduated. I saw Mr. Morris. He was always a bit of a heartthrob even though he was older. As I left, I went in to hug him and he kissed me on the mouth. I acted like nothing was wrong and left. But I felt absolutely filthy. I still feel horrified by it and am cringing as I write this.

Well, I don't know. The thing is here now. Maybe I should just finish the design and be done with it!

Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice