Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

Last week, some guy yelled to me, "I almost got hit by that car because he was checking you out in that skirt!!" He pointed towards an old man in a minivan. I laughed out loud at the craziness of the situation. I had completely zoned out as I waited to cross the street, but I had vaguely heard some commotion. I felt like I should tell off the guy who yelled to me, but he wasn't actually leering at me or hitting on me. He was just relaying information!

Today, I walked out of the bathroom at work and headed back towards my desk. But as soon as I took the first step in that direction, I remembered that I wanted to get my printout, which was in the other direction. So, thinking I was alone in the hallway, I spun around with some sort of flourish. I heard someone say, "Cute." I looked up and there was a guy standing about 20 feet in front of me, about to walk into the men's room. I couldn't believe that the word "cute" came out of someone's mouth, at work--in the land of law suits! So I was like, "What did you say?" He was like, "I said that was cute." I was like, "Oh. Yeah. Because I spun. Yeah. I made a mistake. Had to turn around." If I wore glasses, I would have pushed them up and punctuated my sentences with snorts and guffaws.

So, in closing, I felt sort of complimented by these happenings. And I didn't feel insulted, threatened, or objectified by them--although there was a place there in my mind for that. When I was younger, I had no patience for uncouth male attention and brandished my middle fingers and curse words freely. I think that as I get older, I don't get as much attention, and it's more respectful(?) when I do get it.

Platinum Member
    A compliment could be perceived as something very enjoyable or something very irritating. It depends on the way you say it, the time and of course who says it.

By the way, skirts do create problems haha

As my friend would say `you must have your lamp light on'

Originally Posted by dias
    A compliment could be perceived as something very enjoyable or something very irritating. It depends on the way you say it, the time and of course who says it.
    Very true.

[QUOTE=reinventmyself;6863427]As my friend would say `you must have your lamp light on'

Is that the same as headlights?

[QUOTE=Jibralta;6865001]Very true.

Is that the same as headlights?
    lol. . not exactly. There was a great article once about how you carry yourself and the energy you put out.
    After I read it I can tell when my lamp light was on. I can wear the same dress . . same everything, but when
    my attitude is in check and in a good place. . then my lamp light is on and I attract more attention.

Bridal showers and baby showers are, to me, a form of torture. God, I hate them.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Bridal showers and baby showers are, to me, a form of torture. God, I hate them.
    I hate them too. Even when I truly love the person being celebrated. I didn't want either one and was offered. And they've become more elaborate, more trendy, more social media/pinterest related. I went to one where my mother and I traveled almost 2 hours to get there and it was a very fancy "tea" except that all they served were a few tiny sandwiches and desert. Many people traveled as far as we did. When we left and went back to the train station we devoured a pizza.

And now I read that people also have "gender reveal" parties. How many different ways can a person ask for a present?

I do like wedding receptions when I am close to the bride and/or groom.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    I hate them too. Even when I truly love the person being celebrated. I didn't want either one and was offered. And they've become more elaborate, more trendy, more social media/pinterest related. I went to one where my mother and I traveled almost 2 hours to get there and it was a very fancy "tea" except that all they served were a few tiny sandwiches and desert. Many people traveled as far as we did. When we left and went back to the train station we devoured a pizza.

And now I read that people also have "gender reveal" parties. How many different ways can a person ask for a present?

Oh, I miss the carefree days where weddings were potluck gatherings in a meadow, and showers were for rain or an alternate to baths.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by journeynow
    Oh, I miss the carefree days where weddings were potluck gatherings in a meadow, and showers were for rain or an alternate to baths.
    LOL! I had a very small wedding reception (10 guests) at my inlaws home. It was magical and such a natural, relatively peaceful day.

I don't know the context but why not just not go?

Originally Posted by journeynow
    Oh, how I wish it could be like this.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    I don't mind wedding receptions. I get a decent meal, and I don't have to play insipid little games or watch someone open gifts for an hour.

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice